Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...d-draft-order/

So while we wait for further free agent signings, the draft order currently looks like this, assuming Granderson signs with the Mets as is being reported widely:

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

11. Toronto Blue Jays (compensation for failure to sign Phil Bickford in ‘13 draft)

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

x Baltimore Orioles (forfeited for signing Ubaldo Jimenez)

X. New York Yankees (forfeited for signing Brian McCann)

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

x. Texas Rangers (forfeited for signing Shin-Soo Choo)

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

X- Atlanta Braves (forfeited for signing Ervin Santana)

26. Boston Red Sox

27. St. Louis Cardinals

Compensatory Round

*Y. Seattle Mariners (Kendry Morales compensation)

Z. New York Yankees (for losing Robinson Cano)

ZZ. New York Yankees (for losing Curtis Granderson)

*28. Kansas City Royals (awarded for losing Ervin Santana)

*29. Cincinnati Reds (awarded for losing Shin-Soo Choo)

*30. Texas Rangers (awarded for losing Nelson Cruz)

*31. Miami Marlins (compensation for failure to sign Matt Krook in ‘13 draft)

*32. Cleveland Indians (awarded for losing Ubaldo Jimenez)

33. Atlanta Braves (awarded for losing Brian McCann)

34. Boston Red Sox (awarded for losing Jacoby Ellsbury)

*35. Boston Red Sox (Stephen Drew)

*36. St. Louis Cardinals (awarded for losing Carlos Beltran)

X Lost for signing free agent Brian McCann

Y Lost for signing free agent Robinson Cano, will revert to second-round pick if Morales resigns with Mariners

Updated with Atlanta Braves losing draft pick #26 for signing Ervin Santana. Kansas City Royals (awarded #28 for losing Nelson Cruz)
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 03-12-2014 at 12:19 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's my question to the group: do you draft for need? I know every thinking person says to draft for talent, not need. But consarnit, the Reds have a pretty nice system that is completely BEREFT of middle infielders.

I think it's okay to do it now when you consider how much teams value the first round picks now.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Pitching is always #1 in my opinion. But if position players are ranked higher at that slot I would grab the best MI or catcher. Reds are really flush with good OF candidates from AA down the ladder. Even catching has signs of life but good catchers are scarce, too. My only qualm is for crying out loud pick a MI with the potential to hit! That's a problem with MI, quite often the best ones are glove over bat even as prospects.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Here's my question to the group: do you draft for need? I know every thinking person says to draft for talent, not need. But consarnit, the Reds have a pretty nice system that is completely BEREFT of middle infielders.
    I wouldn't draft for need. I might let need play tiebreaker if I was between two kids high in the draft. I might let need guide me a bit in rounds 3-7. Yet, and I say this as a someone with an incurable SS addiction, I wouldn't draft a SS in the 1st round just to have a SS. I'd rather collect Cory Thompsons and Carlton Daals in the hopes that one pans out.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-18-2014)

I guess I'm trying to talk myself into Nick Gordon, who I don't really like, but may fall to #19.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I guess I'm trying to talk myself into Nick Gordon, who I don't really like, but may fall to #19.
    I'd stick with the "don't really like" part and skip the talking into part. I haven't paid that much attention to Gordon yet, but he's generally well-regarded. Matt Garrioch's first mock draft has him going #7 to the Phillies. Garrioch tends to focus more on where a kid should go than where a kid will go. BA is generally the best for "will go."

I suspect Gordon's stock will need to drop for him to be around for the Reds' pick. So, if you're right about him, maybe he'll Matt Bush a spot ahead of the Reds.

Agreed. At this point, the only first round SS in this draft is Trea Turner in my book. Very likely others will go, but he's the only real one I'd be interested in. Otherwise I'd start considering other guys (like Ti'quan Forbes) at 29 or later.
    Go BLUE!!!

I have seen a lot of the Top 10 names IP mention in mock draft and I think Luke Weaver, Aaron Nola, and Derek Swisher move up with Hoffman moving out of the Top 10.
    Last edited by 19braves77; 03-13-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Strength at the top of this draft is supposedly arms. Reds should grab the best one they can get at 19, then see what drops to 29, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Strength at the top of this draft is supposedly arms. Reds should grab the best one they can get at 19, then see what drops to 29, IMO.
    Solid gameplan. I've got a yen for Justus Sheffield - prep southpaw from Tennessee with three plus-pitch potential.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-18-2014),malcontent (05-29-2014)

Jose Inglesias has a shin injury that may shelve him for most of the season. Could lead Detroit to make a move on Stephen Drew. Wouldn't affect our pick at 19, but would move our comp pick up to #28 if they do indeed sign him. If so, and someone with an exposed 1st signs Morales we would end up at 27 (the same spot that netted us BobbySteve, IIRC).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...t-of-2014.html

Go BPA in the draft. The Reds need to hit big on the first 2 picks especially. Pitching, Pitching and Pitching. I also want a SS that can hit, a projectable bat with solid D.

You always consider the best player available so take this with a grain of salt.

But nail the 2 top-30 picks with polished guys ala Ervin and the farm system would be in significantly better shape.

And in other obvious news, the earth is round.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (03-17-2014)

Even if you have Mike Trout, you still draft a center fielder if it's the best player available.

You never know how this game goes--it could be five years or more before the drafted player is doing anything significant in the majors. By then, injuries and contract questions could easily push your franchise player elsewhere. If so, you have an insurance policy. If not, teams are always looking for prospects. You'd then trade for established veterans with more consistent output.

20. Likes:

757690 (03-17-2014),AtomicDumpling (03-19-2014),Edd Roush (03-18-2014),RedlegJake (03-17-2014)

Turn Off Ads?