Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Even if you have Mike Trout, you still draft a center fielder if it's the best player available.

You never know how this game goes--it could be five years or more before the drafted player is doing anything significant in the majors. By then, injuries and contract questions could easily push your franchise player elsewhere. If so, you have an insurance policy. If not, teams are always looking for prospects. You'd then trade for established veterans with more consistent output.
    Even more true today with the premium teams put on top prospects. You can always deal an excellent prospect and today you can get a quality starting player for one. If anything, prospects are over valued by most teams now.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-17-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Even if you have Mike Trout, you still draft a center fielder if it's the best player available.

You never know how this game goes--it could be five years or more before the drafted player is doing anything significant in the majors. By then, injuries and contract questions could easily push your franchise player elsewhere. If so, you have an insurance policy. If not, teams are always looking for prospects. You'd then trade for established veterans with more consistent output.
    Agreed. Take the best player, if he doesn't fit into the major league team's needs when he is ready for the big leagues you can trade him for a player who does fit into the team's needs. Don't take a lesser player in an attempt to predict what the team will need in 3-5 years.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-08-2014)

It's a good year to have some extra picks. Looking at the MLB.com top 50, I wasn't that impressed with the top 30 and couldn't see a sharp line from 15-50.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...7-percent.html

Amateur draft pools and international bonus pools allotted under the latest collective bargaining agreement will rise by 1.7 percent this year, according to Jim Callis of MLB.com. As Callis notes, the Marlins have the largest bonus pool due to their 13 picks in the first 10 rounds, while the Orioles, who forfeited their first- and second-round picks to sign Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, have the lowest total.
    The Reds are now listed as having $6,973,400 available in the draft, and $ 2,033,400 available in the International market.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Amateur Draft, International Bonus Pools Rise By 1.7 Percent
    By Steve Adams [April 2 at 5:02pm CST]
    Amateur draft pools and international bonus pools allotted under the latest collective bargaining agreement will rise by 1.7 percent this year, according to Jim Callis of MLB.com. As Callis notes, the Marlins have the largest bonus pool due to their 13 picks in the first 10 rounds, while the Orioles, who forfeited their first- and second-round picks to sign Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz, have the lowest total.

Callis notes that this year's No. 1 overall pick in the draft is valued at $7,922,100 -- an increase of $131,700. Below, you can look at the draft and international pools available to all 30 teams (As Callis points out, both Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales could still impact the draft pools, as their signing with new teams could create new picks/bonus money for the Red Sox and Mariners):

All bonus money directed toward a player selected in the Top 10 rounds of the draft counts against a team's bonus pool, as does any bonus money that exceeds $100K to players selected in rounds 11 through 40 (for example, a $180K bonus to a team's 11th-round pick would result in $80K being removed from its draft pool). As a reminder, the penalties for exceeding draft bonus pools are as follows:

Exceed by 0 to 5 percent: 75 percent tax on the overage.
    Exceed by 5 to 10 percent: 75 percent tax on the overage plus the loss of a first-round pick in the following year's draft.
    Exceed by 10 to 15 percent: 100 percent tax on the overage plus the loss of a first- and second-round pick in the following year's draft.
    Exceed by more than 15 percent: 100 percent tax on the overage plus the lost of a first-round pick in the following two drafts.

April top 5 wish list for Reds includes
    Alex Jackson C
    Trea Turner SS
    Brady Aiken LHP
    Justus Sheffield LHP
    and Touki Touissant RHP

Other names that interest me include Gatewood, Pentecost, Newcomb and Nola.
    Go BLUE!!!

A Jackson and T Turner will be LONG GONE before we pick. I want Newcomb, Finnegan, Nick Burdi, Cederoth, T Forbes, Reetz and Diechmann

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    A Jackson and T Turner will be LONG GONE before we pick. I want Newcomb, Finnegan, Nick Burdi, Cederoth, T Forbes, Reetz and Diechmann
    Jackson maybe, but Turner could be a possibility. While he was initially looking like a top 5 guy, most mock drafts now have him slipping until the teens. Of course, no one knows anything until (and a lot could change by) June.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-08-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    While he was initially looking like a top 5 guy, most mock drafts now have him slipping until the teens.
    I'm not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm not buying it.
    Well, here's one that's usually pretty good: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Updated April 7, has Turner falling to pick 15.
    Go BLUE!!!

Well, here's one that's usually pretty good: http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

Also, BA just released their midseason top 50 - Turner is ranked 11, and some scouts are questioning his swing and ability to hit. Just saying, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he slips into the mid-to-late teens.
    Go BLUE!!!

Ugg.. I hope we don't pick the Fisher guy they predicted for the Reds.. doesn't seem very exciting based on that report.
    Although, obviously, maybe the writer is underselling Fisher..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Going back over the last 20 drafts or so, if you're drafting a SS in the early rounds and looking for success, it's a foolish idea. That is, unless you don't mind them playing 2b, 3b, or OF in the majors. There has been one slam dunk SS success, Tulo, in the last 20 years. Baez, Corriea, and Lindor are still pending results. Believe it or not, Cozart is one of the true success stories at SS in the early rounds in baseball. Many of the other SS around the majors were drafted after the 200th pick. With this all in mind, I now don't care as much about what the Reds have tried to do with drafting college middle infielders that have some polish. Seems as good an idea as any where results are always hard to come by.

Regarding the 2014 draft, I won't care to see them push for a middle infielder in the early going. Just get the best player.

17. Likes:

REDREAD (04-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Ugg.. I hope we don't pick the Fisher guy they predicted for the Reds.. doesn't seem very exciting based on that report.
    Although, obviously, maybe the writer is underselling Fisher..
    I'm with you there. OF is not a position of need with the number of prospects in the system. It seems unlikely that they would take one with swing and miss in his game and no glove. Not much fall back there.

SS is so hard to predict. A potentially wasted pick. May be best to fill that position with Latin American players.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (04-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Going back over the last 20 drafts or so, if you're drafting a SS in the early rounds and looking for success, it's a foolish idea. That is, unless you don't mind them playing 2b, 3b, or OF in the majors.
    I don't mind them play 2b, 3b or OF. I'd prefer a true SS of course. But I like drafting from the top of the defensive spectrum, more margin for error.

Turn Off Ads?