Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I don't mind them play 2b, 3b or OF. I'd prefer a true SS of course. But I like drafting from the top of the defensive spectrum, more margin for error.
    By that token, 2B Forrest Wall could be an interesting player to watch in the sandwich or 2nd round. He could be the eventual replacement for Phillips in a couple years. Swings a big stick.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I don't mind them play 2b, 3b or OF. I'd prefer a true SS of course. But I like drafting from the top of the defensive spectrum, more margin for error.
    That works. However, each of these positions has an offensive profile also. If the player is fast and makes contact, he may stick at center or 2B. He needs power to move down to a corner. Of course if he does have the other tools to successfully move down the spectrum and yet he does stick at SS, then you really have something.

For example, consider Trea Turner. By some accounts his stock has fallen because of a relatively disappointing average. However, his K rate is only 10%, he has stolen 14 of 17, and he has hit 6 HR's. To me, that makes him a low risk first round choice and one not likely to fall to 16.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...st-hunter.html

One executive told Rosenthal that the increase in extensions for younger players is due to the lack of overall talent in today’s game. With so few impact performers, teams are more compelled than ever to lock them up through their prime. As an example, that executive pointed to this year’s draft class, noting that NC State shortstop Trea Turner might be the only college shortstop selected in the Top 250.

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    T Turner will be LONG GONE before we pick. I want Newcomb, Finnegan, Nick Burdi, Cederoth, T Forbes, Reetz and Diechmann
    From BA's John Manuel chat today:

Mick (Chicago): Has Trea Turner fell to the 20's in the 1st round w/ his poor offense and reduced 80 to 60 speed?
    John Manuel: He’s not a 60 runner. He may not be a consistent 80 runner anymore, but he’s not a 60 runner. He’s not falling that far. Too few college bats, his defense at SS has improved, and he still has impact speed. His SBs are down in part because he batted third for much of the first half of the season and often was clogged on the bases. I could not see him falling below Cincinnati at No. 19.
    As I noted back in June (on the first page of this thread), I'd be pretty pleased with Turner at 19.
    Go BLUE!!!

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    As I noted back in June (on the first page of this thread), I'd be pretty pleased with Turner at 19.
    Trea Turner at 19 would be awesome.

I am going to guess Luke Weaver to Cincy.

The NC State coach should feel ashamed for what he has done to Carlos Rondon. Whatever team takes him should shut him down for the year.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    I am going to guess Luke Weaver to Cincy.

The NC State coach should feel ashamed for what he has done to Carlos Rondon. Whatever team takes him should shut him down for the year.
    I would not hate a Weaver pick, but he seems like he is all fastball now.

Mymlbdraft updated their mock yesterday and have the Reds taking Braxton Davidson. Looking over their scouting report of him, he sounds like a clone of Jesse Winker and I would have no problem at all drafting that if Trea Turner is off the board.

Jim Callis article for MLB.com on the draft.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

The 2011 First-Year Player Draft opened with the selection with four pitchers: Gerrit Cole (Pirates), Danny Hultzen (Mariners), Trevor Bauer (D-backs) and Dylan Bundy (Orioles). That had never happened before, and it hasn't happened since.

In 2004, the Padres chose shortstop Matt Bush (who would finish his ill-fated career on the mound) with the No. 1 overall pick before clubs went on a run of seven straight pitchers: Justin Verlander (Tigers), Philip Humber (Mets), Jeff Niemann (Devil Rays), Mark Rogers (Brewers), Jeremy Sowers (Indians), Homer Bailey (Reds) and Wade Townsend (Orioles). Seven pitchers in the first eight selections was unprecedented, and that also hasn't been repeated.

That very well could change soon. Pitchers headline this year's Draft prospects to such an extent that both of those records likely will be matched. The standard of 20 pitchers selected in the first round in 2001 also could be equaled.
    Also, their top 100 list seems to have been updated at some point, as the players have a prvious rank next to their names as well.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/wat...14/#list=draft

One month out, updated target list (no particular order):

FIRST ROUND (#19)
    Trea Turner SS
    Touki Toussaint RHP
    Brandon Finnegan LHP
    Sean Newcomb LHP

SANDWICH (#29)
    Max Pentecost C
    Jacob Gatewood SS/3B
    Forrest Wall 2B
    Marcus Wilson OF
    Monte Harrison OF

SECOND ROUND (#55?)
    Justus Sheffield LHP
    Mac Marshall LHP
    Ti'quan Forbes SS
    JJ Schwarz C
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-30-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

11. Likes:

REDREAD (04-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    One month out, updated target list (no particular order):

FIRST ROUND (#19)
    Trea Turner SS
    Touki Toussaint RHP
    Brandon Finnegan LHP
    Sean Newcomb LHP

SANDWICH (#29)
    Max Pentecost C
    Jacob Gatewood SS/3B
    Forrest Wall 2B
    Marcus Wilson OF
    Monte Harrison OF

SECOND ROUND (#55?)
    Justus Sheffield LHP
    Mac Marshall LHP
    Ti'quan Forbes SS
    JJ Schwarz C
    Looks good to me. I hope any of those are available in the first round. I would be inclined to switch Ti'quan Forbes with Forest Wall, who seems like too big a risk to take that high.

Not necessarily on my target list, but Jacob Bukauskas sounds like a guy that Buckley and the Reds go for (vertically challenged RHP with good stuff):

Add Bukauskas to the list of triple-digit pitchers this year. At 6’-1” and 200 pounds, he has been consistently hitting the upper-90s this spring and he adds a deceptive change-up with nice fade and a tight slider. Through 36.2 innings, he has 82 K/3 BB, allowing just 10 hits. Committed to North Carolina.
    Go BLUE!!!

Jacob Bukauskas sounds like a guy that Buckley and the Reds go for (vertically challenged RHP with good stuff)
    Agreed. Late rising high-velo high school arm, a la Stephenson and Travieso.

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-08-2014)

I just hope the Reds take the best player available each time they pick in the early rounds and don't worry about "needs."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    I just hope the Reds take the best player available each time they pick in the early rounds and don't worry about "needs."
    It's a gray area. If their top-ranked guy is a 1B that is just marginally better than the next guy, a SS, I'll take the SS myself.

No one guy fulfills a need, but you have to have the "system as a whole"'s needs in mind.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Generally speaking that is how the first 10 rounds go. After that you can draft for needs, but it isn't big league needs as much as it is "we actually need a guy to play X position in Arizona or Billings", so maybe you grab a guy to fill that out.

Turn Off Ads?