Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

I'm not able to focus enough right now to figure this out. What does a player gain by signing below slot?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I'm not able to focus enough right now to figure this out. What does a player gain by signing below slot?
    A ton of contract incentives like college paid for if he is out of baseball in two years, the promise of not having to play complex ball and no risk that you fall in the draft. you usually see the sons of retired players take these deals. Dodgers do it a lot.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Minor League Ball has its 2nd mock draft up:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...raft-version-2

Reds get Luke Weaver at 19 and Jacob Gatewood at 29.
    I want a much higher ceiling than Weaver. Gatewood's struggles with the bat also have convinced me he's best left as someone else's problem.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

5. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (05-20-2014)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...he-turner.html

Rosenthal hears that NC State shortstop Trea Turner is drawing interest from teams in the No. 6-10 range of the upcoming draft. The fleet-footed shortstop also has pop in his bat (he’s second in the ACC in homers), but some scouts wonder if he can stick at shortstop. Rosenthal points out that both the Mariners (No. 6) and the Mets (No. 10) have needs at shortstop heading into a draft that is light on college shortstop

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I want a much higher ceiling than Weaver. Gatewood's struggles with the bat also have convinced me he's best left as someone else's problem.
    Mayo touched on Gatewood for his blog recently.

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2014/05/19...acob-gatewood/

That’s what the key will be for Gatewood, for one team to know him well enough and feel comfortable that he’ll be able to make adjustments. Baseball has been full of guys like this who have become superstars. And a fair share have gone the other way.

But could Gatewood be Stanton? Absolutely. And the team that thinks he will be — and has done the exhaustive homework about his makeup, his approach, his process — is the one that will take him before the first round is over.

Garrioch just put out his top 350 draft prospects.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

BA Top 200 draft prospects.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/

BA also released their third mock draft today,

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...ock-draft-3-0/

REDS: Cincinnati will have its choice of high-upside prep righties with the likes of Reid-Foley, Holmes and Georgia’s Spencer Adams.
    Projected Pick: RHP Sean Reid-Foley

29. REDS: We’re keeping the Reds in the Florida camp, where the high school talent runs deep and should be on display in Sebring next week. Forrest Wall is the rare prep second baseman with legitimate first-round ability.
    Projected Pick: 2B Forrest Wall

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Same guys as last week. Reid-Foley has been the 19th pick all three times.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Same guys as last week. Reid-Foley has been the 19th pick all three times.
    The Reds are getting that name Spencer Adams connected to them quite a bit here recently though.

Funnily enough, I can't remember the last time someone accurately tied the Reds to a first round selection they ended up making. There was some chatter about Ervin last year, but very little about Travieso, Stephenson, Leake and no one expected Grandal to fall to them.
    Go BLUE!!!

Jim Callis had his newest mock draft come out today too,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

19. Reds: Sean Reid-Foley, RHP, Sandalwood HS (Jacksonville, Fla.)
    Unless Turner or Schwarber somehow last until No. 19, Cincinnati will consider high school arms (Toussaint, Holmes, Reid-Foley) and athletes (Hill, Harrison).

29. Reds: Spencer Adams, RHP, White County HS, Cleveland, Ga.
    Cincinnati could double up on prep pitchers with Adams, Griffin or St. Augustine Prep (Richland, N.J.) righthander Joey Gatto.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I think the Reds will go after that kid from California, that RHP in HS whose name escapes me, that middle infielder from Georgia or is it Mississippi, the youngster from Florida, and that local guy who makes good.
    I am still sticking with my prediction from last June.

I've never been able to follow the baseball draft like I can football or basketball because I don't watch baseball on the amateur level. That said, I'll stand by what I said months ago: I think in any sport, you cant go wrong taking the best player available, but I'd love to see the Reds get a college shortstop or any other high upside bats that project to stay in the infield (but not 1B).
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Great, it's a bad year for college shortstops. Of course it is.

Come to think of it, it's never really a "good" year for college shortstops. So, for them to come out and say this is a bad year must mean it's especially bad.

Was hoping to land a college SS with one of the first two picks. Oh well. Never hurts to stock up on pitching depth, even though the Reds have quite an impressive arsenal of arms in the minors such as Stephenson, Lively, Lorenzen, Travieso, Moscot, Langfield, Romano, Armstrong and others.

Turn Off Ads?