Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

This dude is nice: Hope The Braves, Rays, or Reds get him

Cody Reed, LHP, Ardmore HS (AL)

No one, I mean no one, put up sillier looking numbers than Reed this year. He was simply too much for opposing hitters, and high school juniors in Alabama are probably glad to see him move on with his career. Over 88 innings, he had 216 strikeouts to just 15 walks. He allowed five runs on 27 hits and he struck out 18 or more batters in six of his 13 starts. At 6’-3” and 250 pounds, he is an intimidating force on the mound and can run his fastball up to 95 mph from the left side. He adds a sharp slider with depth, and his change-up is solid, although he doesn’t need it right now as he can just blow away hitters with the gas. Even as a Vanerbilt recruit, he came into the year a bit off the radar. As of now, he could go on day one.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Great, it's a bad year for college shortstops. Of course it is.

Come to think of it, it's never really a "good" year for college shortstops. So, for them to come out and say this is a bad year must mean it's especially bad.
    Dude, more like it is not a good planet for shortstops. Look at the major league level. There are like 5 legit SS's. The Tigers are trotting Andrew Romine and Danny Worth out there every day. ANDREW ROMINE.

4. Likes:

joshua (06-06-2014),Tom Servo (05-27-2014)

Keith Law has Reds taking Derek Hills in the 1st Round:

Derek Hills :Elk Grove (Calif.) HSHT: 6-2WT: 170POS: OF

Analysis: They have also been connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Justus Sheffield.
    PLAYER CARD

Is that a play on Justice or Just Us?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is that a play on Justice or Just Us?
    I am assuming Justice.

Baseball Prospectus Updated Mock from today has the Reds taking the following in the 1st Round:

MAX PENTECOST - C - Kennesaw State
    The Reds would also have been in hard on Reid-Foley if the Nationals hadn’t just grabbed him, but they have an attractive backup plan in the top true catcher in the draft, given future position uncertainties of Alex Jackson and Kyle Schwarber, in Kennesaw State’s Max Pentecost. Pentecost is a polished and talented defender and could go even higher as scouts dream about his power continuing to develop in pro ball.

FOSTER GRIFFIN - LHP - The First Academy (Fla.) HS
    Foster Griffin’s draft stock skyrocketed early in the spring when he was topping out at 94-95 mph, and it seemed unlikely that an athletic 6-foot-5, 190-pound projectable southpaw would go this late in the first round. But Griffin has backed off a bit on his velocity while maintaining his pitchability and solid three-pitch mix, although teams know it’s just a matter of time and strength before the velocity stays around for good.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Keith Law has Reds taking Derek Hills in the 1st Round:

Derek Hills :Elk Grove (Calif.) HSHT: 6-2WT: 170POS: OF

Analysis: They have also been connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Justus Sheffield.
    PLAYER CARD
    Would like Sheffield at 29. Would love him at 55. 19 seems a bit high but I wouldn't complain.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Would like Sheffield at 29. Would love him at 55. 19 seems a bit high but I wouldn't complain.
    I believe he's a Vandy commit. Always seems tougher to sign those Vandy commits away.

The Reds just need to stick to the BPA approach. No reaching. We passed on Wacha for Travieso. BPA. Reds need to hit on the first 3 picks in this draft. We need impact elite level talent.

BPA based on what? What Law, Callis, or Mayo say? If the Reds had Travieso ranked ahead of Wacha, didn't they do that? I don't think the FO, has a burning desire to screw up, except for when they drafted Jeff Gehlalich.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

12. Likes:

Benihana (05-28-2014),cincyinco (06-01-2014),Tom Servo (05-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    The Reds just need to stick to the BPA approach. No reaching. We passed on Wacha for Travieso. BPA. Reds need to hit on the first 3 picks in this draft. We need impact elite level talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    BPA based on what? What Law, Callis, or Mayo say? If the Reds had Travieso ranked ahead of Wacha, didn't they do that? I don't think the FO, has a burning desire to screw up, except for when they drafted Jeff Gehlalich.
    FWIW-- Travieso was signed for $2mm, when slot @ pick #14 was $2.375mm.

Did they pass on Wacha b/c they wanted to sign someone under slot and use that money elsewhere?
    Maybe Travieso was #1 on their board, and it was an added bonus that they could get him to sign below slot?

IDK-- we can only guess. I do know Kivel was signed above slot in that draft-- so some of that Travieso savings went to him. But I cannot easily find $$ amounts and see who the Reds paid overslot in the 2012 draft.

Well prior to the draft, we were being mocked Wacha for months and months. Travieso wasn't on the radar, he was a fast riser, but not the BPA in that situation. If we drafted Wacha, the Reds would be in a diff situation right now, we could have traded Bailey for 2 hitters. But water under the bridge now, hopefully the Reds make good choices in the 2014 draft. Gelalich was a horrible pick as well.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ryan LaMarre? Beau Amaral?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

I'd love to come out of this with two quality LHP starters.

Say Sheffield and Medeiros?
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-29-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Ryan LaMarre? Beau Amaral?
    Beau Amaral was a 7th round pick, so I wouldn't count him. If this regime has an Achillies heal it's drafting all-around solid college hitters with no outstanding tools. Gelalich and LaMarre both qualify, as do Lohman, Greene, etc.

I really hope Ervin doesn't slip into that category as well.

Gabriel Rosa was another bust, although I can see what they were thinking with his toolsy upside. He's still only turning 21 in July though, so in theory there is time.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Beau Amaral was a 7th round pick, so I wouldn't count him. If this regime has an Achillies heal it's drafting all-around solid college hitters with no outstanding tools. Gelalich and LaMarre both qualify, as do Lohman, Greene, etc.

I really hope Ervin doesn't slip into that category as well.

Gabriel Rosa was another bust, although I can see what they were thinking with his toolsy upside. He's still only turning 21 in July though, so in theory there is time.
    I forgot Amaral was that low. Lohman and Greene. Yep. Saw this on Ervin. I thought the off-year was due to an injury?

Reds outfield prospect Phillip Ervin attributes his struggles in 2014 to self-imposed pressure after being a first-round pick and receiving a $1.8MM bonus last season, C. Trent Rosecrans writes for Baseball America. Ervin, 21, is hitting .209/.271/.302 in 203 plate appearances for Class A Dayton, a level at which he hit well in a handful of games near the end of last season. “You want to just impress people, put up the numbers for the fans, and you always hear stuff,” says Ervin. “I feel like sometimes I try to do too much just to keep other people happy rather than just go out and have fun.”

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati-reds

Turn Off Ads?