Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Draft Links: Padres, Ryan, Phillies, Jays

By Mark Polishuk [June 2, 2014 at 1:26pm CDT]

The 2014 amateur draft is only three days away, so here’s the first batch of what will surely be a ton of draft-related items this week…

The Padres won’t draft Jeff Hoffman or Erick Fedde with the 13th overall pick, sources tell Jeff Sanders of the San Diego Union-Tribune. Both college right-handers recently underwent Tommy John surgery and though the team “briefly kicked the idea around” of taking one of the highly-touted pitchers in hopes of a full recovery, the risk seemed too high at that point in the first round. “We want to take someone who is healthy. There are too many good options on the board,” assistant GM Chad MacDonald said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sounds like turner and toussant are going top 10.

I hope the reds don't spend both their picks on pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Sounds like turner and toussant are going top 10.

I hope the reds don't spend both their picks on pitchers.
    I realize they're not drafting for my entertainment, but the hard throwing young pitcher is so common now it's kind of lost its luster for me. Hoping some bats are available.

5. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-02-2014),Rojo (06-03-2014)

Agreed, seems like there is a huge supply of arms across baseball and a lack of hitters. I would use both picks on position players personally.

Here is the link for Callis' mock that Benihana referenced.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

29. Reds: Spencer Adams, RHP, White County HS (Ga.)
    At least a few of the high school arms and athletes Cincinnati would consider at No. 19 should still be available. In this scenario, those would include Adams and St. Augustine Prep (Richland, N.J.) right-hander Joey Gatto. Reed could sneak in here as well.

I remember reading when this place would do it's own mock draft.

I think the draft going to primetime and being televised has changed the niche that it had for some here.

On a personal note, players like Pentecost, Gatewood, Harrison, Gillaspie, Turner, Forbes, and pitchers such as Reid-Foley, Adams, Toussaint, Ortiz, and Holmes are some of my favorites. I would love for the Reds to get two or more of those players.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Agreed, seems like there is a huge supply of arms across baseball and a lack of hitters. I would use both picks on position players personally.
    It is a pitching rich environment we're seeing right now, so going against the grain wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

mdccclxix (06-03-2014),RedTeamGo! (06-02-2014),Rojo (06-03-2014)

Sheldon previews the Reds draft for MLB.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

Included is this snippet, about why it's important to still draft alot of pitching.*

Shopping list
    Especially because of the Draft's unpredictability, Cincinnati always approaches the Draft with the mindset of taking the best available player in each round. The Reds do not select players according to current needs in the Majors or Minors.

But you can expect another Draft where the club goes heavy on pitching. Last year, 21 of the 41 picks were pitchers.

"You always try to do that because you have to take many more just to get a few," Buckley said. "There is the injury factor and always the failure factor. Certain kids aren't as good as you projected or hoped.
    "

Trend watch
    The Reds have often gone early on college players over high school players. That's credited, in part, to the cap on bonuses and less money to go around. High school players generally seek higher bonuses than their collegiate counterparts.
    *I'm not saying it's not also important to draft position players, because it is, but drafting a position player that they rank lower than a pitcher, just to draft a position player is a bad idea too.

I agree, BPA should be the philosophy. Going into the draft saying "We're going to take position players with the first two picks" or "We're going to take pitchers with the first two picks" handcuffs you because you don't know who will unexpectedly slip to you. Take the best player available. If you end up with a glut of good players at a particular position because of good drafting, that's a problem you want to have. (See: Grandal and Alonso being the main pieces of the puzzle in the blockbuster Latos trade.)

I provided this link earlier in the thread, but it is buried now, and I wanted to make sure that people interested could research the draft as much as possible.

Here is a link to a website that has a ton of mock drafts from numerous resources.

http://dcprosportsreport.com/MLBMocks.htm

Here is Kiley McDaniel's most recent mock.

http://sbb.scout.com/2/1407185.html

Pick
    Cincinnati Reds RHP Sean Reid-FoleySandalwood HS (FL)
    Click for more details [+]
    ANALYSIS: The Reds have also been tied to (wait for it) power arms at this spot, with Reid-Foley the most common name who also has a lot of similarities to Nick Travieso, another Florida prep power arm the Reds took in the first round a few years back. He turned in his worst outing of the year last week at a Florida prep All-Star Game in Sebring, but he's been lights out almost every other outing this year. Chavis has also been mentioned here along with Derek Hill, as they are at many other picks. The Reds are on Kodi Medeiros and would have to take him here to snatch him from the Royals, who pick before Cincinnati picks again.

Pick
    Cincinnati Reds LF Derek FisherVirginia
    Click for more details [+]
    ANALYSIS: Again, Medeiros is the pick if he's on the board here, but he likely isn't. Fedde also fits if he slips this far. Derek Fisher is the best value here and isn't tied to first base like Casey Gillaspie or A.J. Reed, who would be blocked by Joey Votto for the foreseeable future even if they work out.

The amount the Reds are being connected to Reid-Foley has me convinced they are not going to draft him.

17. Likes:

Benihana (06-03-2014),WrongVerb (06-03-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Jacob Gatewood is really falling in a lot of these mocks
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Jacob Gatewood is really falling in a lot of these mocks
    Probably because scouts are more and more convinced he cannot stick at short, correct?

Turn Off Ads?