Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Great finds - makes me miss that kind of chatter. I hope the board picks it up over the next two days.

Funny that everyone was pining for Andrew Miller and Tim Lincecum so much more than Clayton Kershaw and Max Scherzer. Like everyone else, I was convinced Miller would be a stud.

Even going back to Toronto, Buckley's track record for getting first rounders to the majors is pretty incredible. Might be the best in the game.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Your assuming that pitching will fetch whatever you want. That's been true most of the time. It appears to be changing. The Big Club has pitching, the system has pitching, this draft is loaded with pitching.

In a pitching-rich draft-class, why not take the best available bat?
    This is my thoughts exactly. It seems like everyone has young pitching right now, young pitching will not demand much in terms of trade value if everyone has it. Why not just draft the best available infielder at pick 19 and develop them?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. No thanks Derek Hill. He is a little too Gelalich/LaMarre like for me. At best he seems to be redundant to Ervin, at worst he's like the former two busts.
    Give me the power potential all day long in the first round unless the hit tool is solid above average. Then I'd settle for a little less power.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is my thoughts exactly. It seems like everyone has young pitching right now, young pitching will not demand much in terms of trade value if everyone has it. Why not just draft the best available infielder at pick 19 and develop them?
    I'd love an infielder but I'd just go best bat. Middle-of-the-order bats are becoming the currency of the realm.

Any names for potential middle of the order bats that could fall to 19? For me it would be Schwarber or Harrison. Gatewood would be great at 29 as a high reward/high risk pick, but a reach at 19. Other than those names, I feel it is safer to take a pitcher at 19 and a bat at 29.

Laws 3rd Mock:

Analysis: I hear a lot of assumptions that they will take a toolsy prep guy, but scouting director Chris Buckley has taken numerous college guys in the first round, including Mike Leake, Yasmani Grandal and Phil Ervin.
    They are also the team I've heard with the most interest in New Jersey prep righty Joey Gatto and Georgia prep righty Spencer Adams.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Your assuming that pitching will fetch whatever you want. That's been true most of the time. It appears to be changing. The Big Club has pitching, the system has pitching, this draft is loaded with pitching.

In a pitching-rich draft-class, why not take the best available bat?
    I'm not suggesting the Reds should reach out for a pitcher. But if a pitcher is best man up, I take him. Even in a pitching rich draft, even with the premium on bats.

Having a deep pipeline of pitchers allows the Reds to fill the rotation and the bullpen well, and allows the Reds to trade off some high priced veteran arms.

If the strength of the draft is pitching, don't fight it, go with it. Eventually teams will always need good pitchers.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-03-2014),HokieRed (06-04-2014),malcontent (06-03-2014),OGB (06-05-2014),RedlegJake (06-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Laws 3rd Mock:

Analysis: I hear a lot of assumptions that they will take a toolsy prep guy, but scouting director Chris Buckley has taken numerous college guys in the first round, including Mike Leake, Yasmani Grandal and Phil Ervin.
    They are also the team I've heard with the most interest in New Jersey prep righty Joey Gatto and Georgia prep righty Spencer Adams.

Spencer Adams seems like a guy the Reds would consider taking. 6'5, 190 lbs-- has projection left in him. 3 sport star, so one can assume he's pretty athletic and didn't devote all of his time in High School to just 1 sport. One wonders how much improved he would be if he spent all of his time on baseball the past 4 years. Not to mention, they say he's young for the class. (Still haven't found out his birthday yet to confirm.)

I wouldn't be upset if they took him @ 19. I don't think he will last to their next pick.

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm a fan of Schwarber, big strong kid. If the Reds think he could start in LF or play catcher, I'd love to see what he can do for them.
    Reading through the write ups, I would like this pick.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-03-2014)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Great finds - makes me miss that kind of chatter. I hope the board picks it up over the next two days.

Funny that everyone was pining for Andrew Miller and Tim Lincecum so much more than Clayton Kershaw and Max Scherzer. Like everyone else, I was convinced Miller would be a stud.

Even going back to Toronto, Buckley's track record for getting first rounders to the majors is pretty incredible. Might be the best in the game.
    Someone in the 2007 thread made the comment that the Reds didn't have a single 1st round player on their roster. Now there are (off the top of my head) 6, including supplemental picks. And that doesn't include three that were traded away in the Latos deal, two of whom start for the Padres. Definitely impressive.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Fox Sports story on which teams have been the most successful at drafting.(the Reds fare well here)

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/w...b-draft-060314

16. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Someone in the 2007 thread made the comment that the Reds didn't have a single 1st round player on their roster. Now there are (off the top of my head) 6, including supplemental picks. And that doesn't include three that were traded away in the Latos deal, two of whom start for the Padres. Definitely impressive.
    Small nit, but I'm counting five- Bailey, Leake, Bruce, Mesoraco and Frazier?

Votto, Cozart and Hamilton were second rounders.

Overall yeah I agree with you the change is awesome
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-04-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I'm not suggesting the Reds should reach out for a pitcher. But if a pitcher is best man up, I take him. Even in a pitching rich draft, even with the premium on bats.

Having a deep pipeline of pitchers allows the Reds to fill the rotation and the bullpen well, and allows the Reds to trade off some high priced veteran arms.

If the strength of the draft is pitching, don't fight it, go with it. Eventually teams will always need good pitchers.
    I get all that, and it's hard to talk in generalities, but if the draft is pitching-heavy, then there's a greater likelihood that a second round pitcher will still be pretty good but a second round bat will suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree, but I hope the Reds understand it's 'best value' not 'best looking player'. I think you've gotta adjust and realize what may have been the BPA a decade ago may not be the BPA now.

20. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-04-2014)

Watch Schwarber to the Cubs at #4...
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?