Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Small nit, but I'm counting five- Bailey, Leake, Bruce, Mesoraco and Frazier?

Votto, Cozart and Hamilton were second rounders.

Overall yeah I agree with you the change is awesome
    For some reason I was thinking BHam was a 1st round supplemental pick. My bad.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Someone in the 2007 thread made the comment that the Reds didn't have a single 1st round player on their roster. Now there are (off the top of my head) 6, including supplemental picks. And that doesn't include three that were traded away in the Latos deal, two of whom start for the Padres. Definitely impressive.
    That 2007 thread is massive, and I don't feel like going through it to find the exact quote. But I'm guessing the person who made that quote-- made it in 2007, not 2014. Homer Bailey was the only 1st round pick on their Roster who played for the club in 2007-- but he was called up in the 2nd half, so @ the time of the draft, he probably wasn't on it.

Going backwards from 2006-- Stubbs, Bruce, Bailey, Ryan Wagner, Gruler, Schramek, Sowers, Espinoza, Mosely, Howington, Kearns, Larson, Oliver, McLendon, Nitkowski, WAtkins and of course the pick that pains all Reds fans. Chad Mottola b/c Jeter was taken with the very next pick.

Anyway--- Stubbs and Bruce were in the minors in 2007. Ryan Wagner was with Washington and Kearns was not on the Reds roster either. Larson made it up to the Reds but only for a few years and was gone. So at the time of the draft, no Reds 1st round pick was playing for the big league club. Since I'm retentive--- the MLB draft in 2007 was June 7th and 8th. Bailey made his debut with the Reds June 8th 2007.

Seriously, 1992-2003 1st round picks were an example of how not to draft.

Note: if the person made the post about no Reds being on the roster after 2007, like in 2010 or something for example, then ignore everything I just wrote.

So I realized yesterday that the draft starts in the evening and my wife and I are setting out for a long weekend in Missouri for her high school reunion. We're leaving after work and will go part way, so I told her I was going to want a little time to see who we've drafted. I'm relying on you all to give some good info...
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm a fan of Schwarber, big strong kid. If the Reds think he could start in LF or play catcher, I'd love to see what he can do for them.
    My dream pick if he's available...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

6. Likes:

RedlegJake (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    My dream pick if he's available...
    I'm hearing he may headed to the Cubs at #4...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    So I realized yesterday that the draft starts in the evening and my wife and I are setting out for a long weekend in Missouri for her high school reunion. We're leaving after work and will go part way, so I told her I was going to want a little time to see who we've drafted. I'm relying on you all to give some good info...
    She'll have another reunion in five years. Where are your priorities?

9. Likes:

malcontent (06-05-2014),RedlegJake (06-05-2014),Tom Servo (06-05-2014)

Mock draft from Jon Heyman.

4. Chicago Cubs: With the top trio of pitchers likely gone, this is the real wild card of the draft. Chicago almost surely would have used this pick on a hard-throwing East Carolina righty Jeff Hoffman, who impressed Cubs honchos Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer in his last performance before needing Tommy John surgery. They still could consider Hoffman, but it seems more likely they make a deal for another college star, and save some dollars. The need is pitching, but with the big three gone, they could go in any direction. There's been some buzz they may go for mature Oregon State left fielder Michael Conforto, a power hitter who's a safe bet, and also Indiana University catcher-outfielder Kyle Schwarber, who's fast moving up boards. Hartford University left-hander Sean Newcomb, who's been compared to Jon Lester, might intrigue Cubs scouting director Jason McLeod, who was part of the Red sox contingent when Lester was picked there. Either way, it could be a deal that allows bolder picks later. The pick: Kyle Schwarber, C-OF, Indiana

19. Cincinnati Reds: They've had good fortune with their pitching picks lately. Why not stay with it? They are said to like Jacksonville (Fla.) high school right-hander Sean Reid-Foley, who could be one of a trio of Florida high school pitchers to go in the first round (Manuel noted that only three went in thye first 10 rounds last year). The pick: Sean Reid-Foley, RHP, Jacksonville (Fla.) Sandalwood HS
    29. Cincinnati Reds: Florida State right-hander Luke Weaver has maybe dropped a bit.

The pick: Luke Weaver, RHP, Florida State

Erardi has a story on Schwarber for the Enquirer.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...nging/9968163/

Keith Law's latest mock...

19 Touki Toussaint
    SCHOOL: Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Acad.
    HT: 6-2WT: 195
    POS: RHP

Analysis: I think Toussaint stops here, although I also don't think it's that likely he gets that far -- it largely depends on what the Brewers do. I've also heard Cincinnati connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Spencer Adams.

13. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-05-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Keith Law's latest mock...

19 Touki Toussaint
    SCHOOL: Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Acad.
    HT: 6-2WT: 195
    POS: RHP

Analysis: I think Toussaint stops here, although I also don't think it's that likely he gets that far -- it largely depends on what the Brewers do. I've also heard Cincinnati connected to Sean Reid-Foley and Spencer Adams.
    Toussaint would be a DREAM!
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Here are some names to watch for the Reds in next year's draft one year in advance:

Carlos Rodon LHP - N.Carolina St.
    Tyler Beede RHP - Vanderbilt
    Trea Turner SS - N.Carolina St.
    Liam Sabino SS - HS
    Jacob Gatewood SS - HS
    Bryson Brigman SS - HS
    Matt Chapman SS - Cal State Fullerton
    Montrell Marshall SS - HS
    Tate Blackman SS - HS
    Justin Smith OF - HS
    Sean Newcomb LHP - Hartford
    Kyle Schwarber C/1B - Indiana - local kid and as a bonus, I'm going to his sister's wedding next month
    Alex Jackson C - HS
    Grayson Greiner C - S.Carolina
    Connor Lynch C - Ga.Tech

Will be fun to revisit this list next June.
    Funny looking at this list from this point last year - with Rodon, Jackson, Turner, Schwarber, Newcomb, Beede and Gatewood, half of these guys are still projected to be first rounders today (which is pretty good given the unpredictability and volatility of the draft and an amateur baseball season). A couple others (Chapman, Marshall, Greiner) could still go today in the second round.
    Go BLUE!!!

Kyle Schwarber is the perfect pick for the Reds at 19. Hope he falls into our laps. At 29, just take the BPA.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Lefties Medeiros and Sheffield. Monte Harrison OF.

Two of those three and I'm good.
    Somebody liked those guys. Reds will be looking up at the Brewers for a while longer, IMO.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Somebody liked those guys. Reds will be looking up at the Brewers for a while longer, IMO.
    Harrison is a 4 star WR - he may go to Nebraska to play football, worst case scenario is he gets drafted for baseball as a junior or senior.

Gatewood had a problem with strikeouts...in high school.

Turn Off Ads?