Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For me, a chance to make a run at a championship in 2014 is more important than getting something for Bailey before he walks. He's a guy that you do make a qualifying offer to. By then, Stephenson should be ready to take his spot.

I really don't see this team getting anything that is sure to help the offense in 2014. I don't see a prospect out there who is a cinch to outhit Cozart's .660 OPS this year (see Profar's .639) or Frazier Low .700's (Nolan Arenado's .708, Jed Gyorko's .713 or Anthony Rendon's .719 an upgrade?). If the team is willing to reduce it's chances at 2014 (i.e. punt) they could probably get a couple longer term prospects for Bailey, but if Arroyo accepts (the reason you'd be dealing Bailey), there will be even less to spend to address the offense. There isn't a Will Myers out there who looks like a high probability offensive force to be had in a deal. Most of the top offensive prospects don't project to be ready in 2014.

I'm against any move that risks 2014 for the longer term and IMO, resigning Arroyo while dealing Bailey for kids does just that. Dealing Chapman doesn't do that IMO because he'd free enough cash to obtain a lower cost backfill to team with the depth from within and he'd free money for other needs.

Eating up the budget and being stuck with a .650ish AAA OPS patrolling CF is punting 2014 IMO. Arroyo on the roster at $14 Million means just that IMO.
    How do you reconcile your last sentence/scenario with Walt's comments this week that they will make a real effort to re-sign Choo, fully realizing that it will take a LOT of money? In other words, how is the budget SO tight for 2014 that having Arroyo on the books for one more year at his current salary + $2 million will force you to "dump" Bailey, not improving CF, SS, or 3B, and "punt 2014"?

How will your last scenario possibly play out if/when they are trying to re-sign Choo?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    How do you reconcile your last sentence/scenario with Walt's comments this week that they will make a real effort to re-sign Choo, fully realizing that it will take a LOT of money? In other words, how is the budget SO tight for 2014 that having Arroyo on the books for one more year at his current salary + $2 million will force you to "dump" Bailey, not improving CF, SS, or 3B, and "punt 2014"?

How will your last scenario possibly play out if/when they are trying to re-sign Choo?
    If the Reds let Choo, Bailey, Masset, Arredondo and other free agents walk and simply bring back the guys already in the organization, the payroll will be around the same amount in 2014 that it is in 2013. Raises and arb awards will eat up any of those savings. The Reds could conceivably sign Choo or some other player in the $10 to $15 Million range. But if they sub-Arroyo for Bailey, that $5 Million difference probably limits them to a $5 to $8 Million or so guy assuming a reasonable increase in salary and Ludwick's buy-out and Arroyo's deferred money are not figured in the spending. Add the Ludwick and Arroyo money and it would take a well over 10% increase in the budget.
    Last edited by mth123; 09-17-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Checked the math
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Team's third in the division this year with Bailey so I don't know what's ridiculous about projecting them third next year without him. .
    Well, I agree that if no chances are made, we might be third in the central next year.

On the other hand, we got very little out of Cueto, Marshal, Broxton, and Ludwick this year due to injuries. Plus, there's hope some of the younger guys might get a little bit better/consistent (Hoover, Cozart, Mez, Frazier). There's some upside to this team next year, if they can stay healthy.

I guess another way to look at it: What if Homer got hurt in Spring Training and was out for the year? I think the team still would have a decent shot at the playoffs. I don't want to lose Homer, but it wouldn't necessarily be crippling.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If the Reds let Choo, Bailey, Masset, Arredondo and other free agents walk and simply bring back the guys already in the organization, the payroll will be around the same amount in 2014 that it is in 2013. Raises and arb awards will eat up any of those savings. The Reds could conceivably sign Choo or some other player in the $10 to $15 Million range. But if they sub-Arroyo for Bailey, that $5 Million difference probably limits them to a $5 to $8 Million or so guy assuming a reasonable increase in salary and Ludwick's buy-out and Arroyo's deferred money are not figured in the spending. Add the Ludwick and Arroyo money and it would take a well over 10% increase in the budget.
    Don't follow you. If the Reds are really considering signing Choo to a big deal as Walt said they are this week, there is more room in the budget then you are accounting for.

The status quo/raise logic is old-world John Allen/pre 2012 speak.
    Go BLUE!!!

You don't think a healthy Johnny Cueto could replicate/replace Bailey?
    I do. (It would be close one way or another)

But I don't know if you roll the dice counting on Cueto all year.

Don't follow you. If the Reds are really considering signing Choo to a big deal as Walt said they are this week, there is more room in the budget then you are accounting for.

The status quo/raise logic is old-world John Allen/pre 2012 speak.
    I estimated some numbers.

If the Reds let everyone walk and bring back their own guys with reasonable estimates for the arb guys and replace Parra, Izturis and Choo with minimum guys, that would put them at around $111 Million. If they sign Choo at say $15 Million for 2014, that would put them at $126 Million. If Arroyo comes back at a qualifying offer of $14 Million and the Reds deal off the $9 Million or so that Bailey is likely to command, that would bump it to $131 Million. Ryan Ludwick has a $4.5 Million buy-out at the end of his deal, but Cots says it's deferred, so I'm not counting it, but it will cost something either in funding or the first payment. Arroyo will begin to collect payments on his deferral next year as well ($2.5 Million per year through 2021?) but I'm not sure how much of that is funded, so it isn't in the numbers.

I just don't think they go over $120 Million (which would be over a $15 Million bump when you consider the $3 Million that Cleveland is paying). I'm doubtful that Choo comes back. It would be nice to have him the next couple of years, but a big deal beyond that doesn't really thrill me. If they could get him back, I'm guessing they would need to dump a couple guys in the $2 to $3 Million range (Hanigan, Heisey maybe Ondrusek) and sub minimum guys in their place to stay around the $120 to $125 Million range. These numbers don't consider other guys who will be on the 40 man roster and some making major league money while guys are on the DL. Probably need to add a couple million for that and there aren't any in-season acquisitions included, though we haven't really seen that. I just think the risk of Arroyo accepting and adding a $14 Million salary on top of all that and forcing a Bailey deal and looking for other spots to cut is not something the team will risk. If the Payroll can go to the $135 to $140 Million range with all the money counted, I guess there is no problem, but I'd have to see it to believe it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I estimated some numbers.

If the Reds let everyone walk and bring back their own guys with reasonable estimates for the arb guys and replace Parra, Izturis and Choo with minimum guys, that would put them at around $111 Million. If they sign Choo at say $15 Million for 2014, that would put them at $126 Million. If Arroyo comes back at a qualifying offer of $14 Million and the Reds deal off the $9 Million or so that Bailey is likely to command, that would bump it to $131 Million. Ryan Ludwick has a $4.5 Million buy-out at the end of his deal, but Cots says it's deferred, so I'm not counting it, but it will cost something either in funding or the first payment. Arroyo will begin to collect payments on his deferral next year as well ($2.5 Million per year through 2021?) but I'm not sure how much of that is funded, so it isn't in the numbers.

I just don't think they go over $120 Million (which would be over a $15 Million bump when you consider the $3 Million that Cleveland is paying). I'm doubtful that Choo comes back. It would be nice to have him the next couple of years, but a big deal beyond that doesn't really thrill me. If they could get him back, I'm guessing they would need to dump a couple guys in the $2 to $3 Million range (Hanigan, Heisey maybe Ondrusek) and sub minimum guys in their place to stay around the $120 to $125 Million range. These numbers don't consider other guys who will be on the 40 man roster and some making major league money while guys are on the DL. Probably need to add a couple million for that and there aren't any in-season acquisitions included, though we haven't really seen that. I just think the risk of Arroyo accepting and adding a $14 Million salary on top of all that and forcing a Bailey deal and looking for other spots to cut is not something the team will risk. If the Payroll can go to the $135 to $140 Million range with all the money counted, I guess there is no problem, but I'd have to see it to believe it.
    I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see how someone not affiliated with the organization can arbitrarily surmise what the payroll will be in future years with any kind of certainty. And the scenario I called you out on says Bronson, no Bailey, no Choo (Hamilton starting in CF). Don't see how that plays out if there is the extra payroll room to pursue Choo.

Personally, I would not sign Choo for more than 3 years, but I would extend qualifying offers to both Choo and Arroyo.
    Go BLUE!!!

the Reds are really considering signing Choo to a big deal as Walt said they are this week
    Where/when did he say this? Is it in print?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Where/when did he say this? Is it in print?

I think he is referencing this:http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2013/...nt-and-future/

“We’re hopeful and confident we can bring Choo back. We’d like to bring Choo back,” Jocketty said. “We’ll see what happens. We’ll make a good effort to bring him back. If not, then we’ll give Billy the opportunity to see what he can do. There’s no question defensively that he’d be able play there right now and handle base running and everything else. It’s just a question with the offense. We’d have to be patient with him if he’s out there every day and let him gradually grow into it. Ideally, I’d like to work him in a little slower but we’ll see what happens.”

11. Likes:

camisadelgolf (09-18-2013)

EDIT: Oops, thanks PJ
    Last edited by Benihana; 09-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

On my reading, Walt's statement about re-signing Choo is so vague as to be meaningless. It says next to nothing beyond "we'll try."

That said, the Reds will get a revenue increase in the form of a new TV contract in 2016, and the Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips extensions show that the club isn't afraid to spend big on key players.
    Could it be this revenue that Walt is counting on to extend Choo? Say it is 120 million in 2014 and 2015, but is bumped up a bit after we get the revenue money in 2016.

Another dog in this hunt, Bob Castellini is in his 70's, he worth just north or south of a billion dollars. How much will he spend of his own dime to win before he dies?

On my reading, Walt's statement about re-signing Choo is so vague as to be meaningless. It says next to nothing beyond "we'll try."
    It's meaningless in the sense that he has no way of knowing what Choo will decide. But in my opinion the use of "hopeful" and especially "confident" says a lot. My guess is that a) Castellini has signaled the payroll will be there, and/or b) Choo has signalled he's interested in staying.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It's meaningless in the sense that he has no way of knowing what Choo will decide. But in my opinion the use of "hopeful" and especially "confident" says a lot. My guess is that a) Castellini has signaled the payroll will be there, and/or b) Choo has signalled he's interested in staying.
    Agreed. And as far as A goes, that's my point in the argument above. No one should make concrete assumptions as to which CURRENT players we can or cannot afford next year, because no one really knows. My guess is if there is/was room to keep Choo, there is room to risk making Arroyo a qualifying offer and/or bringing in some other form of offensive help.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?