Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

Re: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Though with new qualifying/forfeiture rules, Reds could easily end up picking in the 17-20 range. Hopefully they'll have at least 1 and maybe 2 comp picks after the first round (33-40 range) as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I know the Mets and Cubs are most likely suitors at the moment for Choo, but who would be good suitors for Arroyo (assuming he gets a qualifying offer as well)?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I know the Mets and Cubs are most likely suitors at the moment for Choo, but who would be good suitors for Arroyo (assuming he gets a qualifying offer as well)?
    Mets, Cubs, Giants and Yankees.

If I understand things right, it shouldn't matter to the Reds if a team ha a "protected" pick or not- either way the Reds would get a comp pick after the first round, right?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Mets, Cubs, Giants and Yankees.

If I understand things right, it shouldn't matter to the Reds if a team ha a "protected" pick or not- either way the Reds would get a comp pick after the first round, right?
    Angels will look for an innings guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    There is reported interest from the Mets and the BoSox may have some interest at the backend of their rotation. If the Reds were to offer BA I believe he almost certainly jumps on it. I can't see anyone else offering Bronson $14 Million a year and having to give up a pick(s) for him would almost certainly depress his market.

About the only way I see the Reds making an offer would be if the Reds decide to deal a starter this offseason and they want to overpay Arroyo as a one-year bridge to Stephenson.

There is reported interest from the Mets and the BoSox may have some interest at the backend of their rotation. If the Reds were to offer BA I believe he almost certainly jumps on it. I can't see anyone else offering Bronson $14 Million a year and having to give up a pick(s) for him would almost certainly depress his market.

About the only way I see the Reds making an offer would be if the Reds decide to deal a starter this offseason and they want to overpay Arroyo as a one-year bridge to Stephenson.
    Arroyo will get more than $14 million to sign a multiyear deal. This is most likely his last contract, he will likely make more on a multiyear than trying to go year to year.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Arroyo will get more than $14 million to sign a multiyear deal. This is most likely his last contract, he will likely make more on a multiyear than trying to go year to year.
    I agree.
    Arroyo has pretty much said that the Reds need to offer him more than 1 year to come back. He pretty much implied this was his last chance to get a multiyear deal. In an interview, he even brought up "what if I break my collar bone in spring training next year and my career is over?"

There's no chance of Bronson accepting a one year arb deal, IMO.
    He'll reject it and test the market.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I agree.
    Arroyo has pretty much said that the Reds need to offer him more than 1 year to come back. He pretty much implied this was his last chance to get a multiyear deal. In an interview, he even brought up "what if I break my collar bone in spring training next year and my career is over?"

There's no chance of Bronson accepting a one year arb deal, IMO.
    He'll reject it and test the market.
    I agree as well. It sounds as if he wants to play at least three more years. I suspect that he wants to do a deal and finish out his career with a team. This is probably his last chance to call the shots.

I think he would be happy staying. And, I think the Reds will offer three. If, however, the Reds fall substantially short of what he believes his value to be, it seems improbable to me that he will accept the qualifying offer and go through the process again next year. Doing so would be moving into year at a time contract territory.

I think you are dead wrong. He will almost certainly reject it. He has stated over and over and over again he wants a multi year deal. He has ten days fom the end of the series to accept or reject a qualifying offer. He cannot weigh other offers in that time frame at all. He almost HAS to reject the qualifying offer to negotiate with anyone else. He WILL reject the offer. You are also wrong that he won't get close to that amount in a multi year deal. Looked at the going rate for a 200 inning 4 era pitcher who throws without arm strain? Even a mid rotation type guy? He'll get three years and close to 14mil per year from someone. And what is the worse thing that happens if he accepts? You end up with a one year bridge to Stephenson as stated. 1 year. Big deal.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 10-01-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

12. Likes:

Benihana (10-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think you are dead wrong. He will almost certainly reject it. He has stated over and over and over again he wants a multi year deal. He has ten days fom the end of the series to accept or reject a qualifying offer. He cannot weigh other offers in that time frame at all. He almost HAS to reject the qualifying offer to negotiate with anyone else. He WILL reject the offer. You are also wrong that he won't get close to that amount in a multi year deal. Looked at the going rate for a 200 inning 4 era pitcher who throws without arm strain? Even a mid rotation type guy? He'll get three years and close to 14mil per year from someone. And what is the worse thing that happens if he accepts? You end up with a one year bridge to Stephenson as stated. 1 year. Big deal.
    Not sure I agree Jake. Arroyo is 37. If the Reds make a qualifying offer, I'd guess the most he'd get is two years at $16 to $20 Million total. Even that is a pretty big commitment to a 37 y/o. If the Reds offer Arroyo, he could probably accept, take his $14 Million and try again next year and even if he settles for $6 to $8 Million on another one year deal, he'd come out ahead.

If the Reds don't offer, Arroyo's market probably expands a bit and he might do better.

From the Reds standpoint, If he accepts a qualifying offer, I think there is more downside than you're assuming as well. That's $14 Million against the budget that the Reds are not counting on. It likely means some one else has to go for budgetary reasons (which means established players making money won't be coming in return). It's likely a downgrade for the rotation in 2014 if say the team is forced to deal Bailey or even Leake to make room for Arroyo's innings and contract. They may get a couple decent pieces for down the road, but it probably weakens them for 2014. Since the Cardinals are re-tooling before our eyes, the Pirates are young and improving and the Cubs have a top farm system, 2014 may be the last best chance and I'd rather keep Bailey or Leake as opposed to Arroyo in the rotation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Another dog in this hunt, Bob Castellini is in his 70's, he worth just north or south of a billion dollars. How much will he spend of his own dime to win before he dies?
    Jesus lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jesus lol
    Honest question, your a billionaire, you are not taking your money with you.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

**Note: In the 2014 Draft, the first 11 picks will be protected instead of the first 10, as the Blue Jays will receive the 11th pick as compensation for failure to sign 2013 first-rounder Phil Bickford.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colle...-carlos-rodon/

BA's top 50.

Maybe we could keep #30 wearing the same hat?

Turn Off Ads?