Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What scares you? (movies, books, stories, etc.)

What scares you? (movies, books, stories, etc.)

I'm talking fiction, not news or politics.

I heard a podcast on this subject today, and was really disappointed in what was offered. For me there's so much; this is the stuff I read and write. A few things:

*When I was small I read a book about "true life" weird stuff. This book included a story about a boy who went out to the well to get water late at night and was drawn up into the sky and never heard from again. I was terrified to go outside after dark for years after, and when sent out at night, I kept one eye on the sky and one on the door. I still do.

*Acid-washed horror movies from the late sixties and early seventies. My favorite was Dan Curtis' "Burnt Offerings" with Karen Black, Oliver Reed, Bette Davis, and Burgess Meredith. Two images stick with me: The creepy chauffeur of Oliver Reed's nightmares and the final shot of Karen Black.

*Several Stephen King stories, including the short story about the man whose hands become infested with eyes. Salem's Lot, too.

*M.R. James' 'O Whistle and I'll come to you, my lad." E.F. Benson's "The Room in the Tower." The latter may be the scariest short story I've ever read. Many other short horror offerings from the turn of the 19th/20th century.

This is just an intro. I'll add more later.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 06-11-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What scares you? (movies, books, stories, etc.)

Warming up in the Reds bullpen... (Anyone besides Chapman)
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

High five!

Stephen King was the first author who made me scared reading a book in the middle of the day.

Recently, I'm not sure if it's "scary" but it's creepy and interesting (at least for awhile) the various "Slenderman" "creepy pasta" videos were pretty good (and well done.)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Warming up in the Reds bullpen... (Anyone besides Chapman)
    No reality!!!
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

A couple of other short stories: "They Bite" by Anthony Boucher about what you see out of the corners of your eyes and a story I can't remember the title of by John Dickson Carr about "the thing that clutches and catches".

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Stephen King was the first author who made me scared reading a book in the middle of the day.
    Same here. I still to this day cannot read Salems Lot without having nightmares. Or go near a window at night. lol!

I love horror books, but what really scares me are authors like Dean Koontz, who can weave real life issues into his stories along with supernatural stuff. Like the Bioethics in One Door Away From Heaven and the government manipulation in Dark Rivers of The Heart. Or a doctor with a God Complex and drugs being able to destroy a life like in False Memory...

One that I intended to put in my next post was then non-supernatural Koontz book "Intensity". Probably the most disturbing book I've ever read.

A couple 180 degrees away: Whitley Streiber's "Communion" which is supposed to be non-fiction, but is really, imho, a collection of delusions caused by hypnosis. This one scared me because one incident mirrors something that happened to me when I was small in exact detail, including the words that were said, and a film in the same vein, again based on a supposedly true story (and I think the whole alien abduction stuff is bunk) "Fire in the Sky". I don't know why I find this stuff, which is complete nonsense, so creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    One that I intended to put in my next post was then non-supernatural Koontz book "Intensity". Probably the most disturbing book I've ever read.

A couple 180 degrees away: Whitley Streiber's "Communion" which is supposed to be non-fiction, but is really, imho, a collection of delusions caused by hypnosis. This one scared me because one incident mirrors something that happened to me when I was small in exact detail, including the words that were said, and a film in the same vein, again based on a supposedly true story (and I think the whole alien abduction stuff is bunk) "Fire in the Sky". I don't know why I find this stuff, which is complete nonsense, so creepy.
    Maybe how it was portrayed in the movie OR the possibility that maybe, just maybe, SOMETHING really did happen but we'll never know what.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'll back you up on that one. Just thinking about the bad guy (that term is so far from doing the character justice) in "Intensity" gives me the willies.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'll back you up on that one. Just thinking about the bad guy (that term is so far from doing the character justice) in "Intensity" gives me the willies.
    I'm not a big fan of Koontz, but that book is creepy as HELL. I'll echo Stephen King; I read It a little too young, and the book sitting on my shelf takes me back to my childhood bedroom reading it with a flashlight and scaring the bejeezus out of myself.

Jaws really got me as a kid, too. I'm still afraid of sharks today. I've never jumped like the moment when that head popped out of the sunk boat.

Recently, it seems scary movies are all about blood and jump scenes, but a couple that really stayed with me recently were Insidious and, you'll laugh, but I thought the original was horrifying, Paranormal Activity.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The original Halloween. I still suspect that Michael Myers is lurking behind me in the dark, just waiting for his moment to pounce.

Stephen King's "It." (book, not movie) I never pass a sewer grate that doesn't make me think of the clown. Other Stephen King books were creepy, but that one took the cake for me.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The single creepiest thing I've ever seen on TV is the "Home" episode of X-Files. It was the only episode of the show banned by FX from being repeated, due to its gruesome subject matter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0751137/

That peppy "Wonderful! Wonderful!" song playing during a particularly violent scene...yeeesh, I just got the chills again.
    Last edited by RichRed; 06-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

KittyDuran (10-28-2013)

The Exorcist and parts of the Shining movies still scare me to this day.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

When I was reading Lovecraft I has several nightmares that were related to his stories. The stories themselves didn't really creep me out- must have touched something on a deeper level.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

As a child, I saw a news story about a boy who was going to the bathroom and a snake had made its way through the pipes and bit him while he was pooping.

To this day, when I lift the seat, I wait for about 10 seconds to make sure nothing is there.

Also as a child, Are You Afraid of the Dark was the scariest show on television.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

18. Likes:

coachpipe (06-13-2013)

Turn Off Ads?