Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Star Wars Episode 1: What Went Wrong"

"Star Wars Episode 1: What Went Wrong"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxf1c3fzDOU

Youtube video which shows a lot of behind the scenes perspectives from pre-production and actual production. I watched this last night and came away completely understanding why the prequel trilogy was doomed from the very beginning.

You can pretty much sum it up with the quote by George Lucas of "Jar Jar is the key role" towards the beginning.

The very end of the video is downright sad when you can see in George's face and hear in his voice that he realized he (hopefully temporarily) broke Star Wars.

Enjoy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "Star Wars Episode 1: What Went Wrong"

Spielberg gives Lucas the least reassuring feedback ever: "Uh-huh. Great. Yeah, sounds great. Great. That'll be great" while sounding like he doesn't mean a single word of it.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing!

Interesting. The other day, I saw a youtube clip from a 1990 episode of Siskel & Ebert "the future of the movies" special with interviews of Scorsasi (I know I butchered that spelling), Lucas and Speilberg. They talk about their views of their immediate future, the future of film, how they envision HD tvs (remember this is 1990 and HD tvs were very futuristic at the time) affected movie theaters, etc...

At one point, either Siskel or Ebert asked Lucas about his plans for the Star Wars. George talks about how he's in the begining stages of development, but that the movie would have focused on Obie One Kanobe. If he had stuck to that, it could have been more successful in my mind. Rather he had the role of Old Ben's growth split up w/ Jar Jar binks, a character we had never meet before and most found annoying and young Annakin, played by a young actor w/ little experience. Worst of all, they took a character that we all knew we were going to hate in the long run and tried to present him as this cute, little adorable kid that we should all love. That could have worked if they made episode 1 prior to episode 4, 5 & 6, but when you already have it in your mind that you're going to hate the character, don't try to sell some cute fluffy kid no us and expect us to feel emphathy for the character.

5. Likes:

Slyder (08-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Interesting. The other day, I saw a youtube clip from a 1990 episode of Siskel & Ebert "the future of the movies" special with interviews of Scorsasi (I know I butchered that spelling), Lucas and Speilberg. They talk about their views of their immediate future, the future of film, how they envision HD tvs (remember this is 1990 and HD tvs were very futuristic at the time) affected movie theaters, etc...

At one point, either Siskel or Ebert asked Lucas about his plans for the Star Wars. George talks about how he's in the begining stages of development, but that the movie would have focused on Obie One Kanobe. If he had stuck to that, it could have been more successful in my mind. Rather he had the role of Old Ben's growth split up w/ Jar Jar binks, a character we had never meet before and most found annoying and young Annakin, played by a young actor w/ little experience. Worst of all, they took a character that we all knew we were going to hate in the long run and tried to present him as this cute, little adorable kid that we should all love. That could have worked if they made episode 1 prior to episode 4, 5 & 6, but when you already have it in your mind that you're going to hate the character, don't try to sell some cute fluffy kid no us and expect us to feel emphathy for the character.
    The idea of Obi Won as the main character is very interesting. After I watched this video last night I clicked another youtube video where a fan talks about about how he would fix Episode 1 and his main idea was Obi Won being the main character, having no Jar Jar and Anakin being in his late teens. Once he broke his idea down it really comes off as genius.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Spielberg gives Lucas the least reassuring feedback ever: "Uh-huh. Great. Yeah, sounds great. Great. That'll be great" while sounding like he doesn't mean a single word of it.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing!
    I completely agree with the Speilberg scene, that was full out patronizing. It would have been interesting to see that with a hidden camera, wouldn't be surprising if Speilberg told him dumb it all sounded.

Towards the beginning of the video when he is talking to his underlings it almost seems to me that everyone wants to say how stupid this all seems but they are afraid to say it to Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The idea of Obi Won as the main character is very interesting. After I watched this video last night I clicked another youtube video where a fan talks about about how he would fix Episode 1 and his main idea was Obi Won being the main character, having no Jar Jar and Anakin being in his late teens. Once he broke his idea down it really comes off as genius.
    I think they should have presented Annakin as a little older like you said, but also kind of like the role of John Conner in T2, a troubled youth, with some mix of good and bad that he struggles with. Since we already know he's going bad, it would have been easy to root against him and believe the transition a little more.

I also wonder if anyone ever spoke up to fix Lucas' dialogue in the 3 prequels. There are so many piss poor lines in those movies, I can't believe they're even in there. The most memorable for me is when Annikan is talking to Padamin and tells here how he hates sand b/c its rough and course, unlike her soft, smooth skin. Still makes me cringe.

Yeah I think making Anikan so young was a big mistake, there was really no actor that young who could convincingly live up to being the future Darth Vader. I get that they wanted to flesh things out, but he could have easily just been around Luke's age to start.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Jake Lloyd >>> Hayden Christensen

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

How would I fix episodes 1-3? The obvious first choice is dump Jar Jar. The second would be to have some scriptwriters and a casting director who understood the what made episodes 4-6 great. My feeling is that what made those films great were the interplay between Han Solo, Leia, Obi Wan, Chewbacca, Luke, Yoda, and the droids. They used a lot of snark and sarcasm and seemed like real people. The characters in episodes 1-3 seemed so uptight and humorless. I would have cast young Anakin as more of a streetwise young kid rather than a cute innocent boy. Obi Wan and Yoda needed some of the wit they had in the original trilogy. I thought Samuel L. Jackson could have been great as a Jedi, but even his lines come off wooden. It would have been better if Anakin and Padme were around the same age. In Episode 1, she seems more of a surrogate big sister to Anakin, which makes the romance between them in the later films seem awkward, even without the terrible dialogue.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-27-2013),Razor Shines (08-23-2013)

Ages are wierd throughout the 6 movies. Anakin is young compared to Padme at the start but quickly gets of age while she does not turn into a cougar. Obi-Wan also does not age during this time. Anakin becomes Darth. Luke and Leah are born, share some inapropriate brother sister kisses and don't really seem the same age. Obi-Wan suddenly ages a lot in the 20 years or so of Luke's life.

The reason those movies aren't very good:
    Jedi's are really boring (when not laser sword fighting). Who wants to watch "Monks in Space"?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

15. Likes:

LoganBuck (08-25-2013)

Here is my problem with the three films:

1. No mystery on who the Emperor would be....

2. The Clone Wars being very lame

3. Not seeing Vader do anything awesome once the mask was on......

I think the last thirty minutes of ROTS rivals any thirty minute time span from the first three films.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

The first film didn't need to exist, start with the 2nd and cover the little plot we got out of the 1st in dialogue, then you can have two movies to cover the rise of Vader/empire.

Also, dump the awful actors, Lucas can't write for crap but give it to decent actors like the original trilogy and you might have something.
    Go Gators!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

My biggest beef with this movie -- and I still can't wrap my mind around it -- is ALL the buildup and previews played up his Darth Maul character up like he was one of the central figures in the thing. Then he's in the movie for what amounts to a cup of coffee. Totally missed an opportunity with him IMO. Should have had a much bigger role and more time on screen.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

19. Likes:

Joseph (08-25-2013),redsfanmia (08-24-2013),Spazzrico (08-26-2013)

Best part of the three prequels:

wardrobe not story line
    Second best was Ewan McGregor.
    Last edited by klw; 08-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-25-2013),Tom Servo (08-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?