Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Reds should trade for Morse and Perez

Ken Griffey for Mike Cameron... Whoops

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Yahoo: Reds should trade for Morse and Perez

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut. The Omar Vizquel one is the worst to me. Wow

Seattle operates like a small market team. They are in the bottom third of the MLB in payroll. If they can trade a guy like Morse who's only under contract for this season and will leave this offseason for a commodity that they can control for several years, they'll do it. I'd love to see Morse in a Reds uni in GABP because I think he'd mash, but I don't want another 1 year rental. Get an extension agreed upon first or look elsewhere.

Morse is that LF bat that the Reds could use. I just don't see why Seattle would do that deal. It seems too in the Red's favor, unless they like Soto a lot and no one tells them Heisey is a 4th outfielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Morse is that LF bat that the Reds could use. I just don't see why Seattle would do that deal. It seems too in the Red's favor, unless they like Soto a lot and no one tells them Heisey is a 4th outfielder.
    Because Morse is gone at the end of the season. The only way they'll do it is if they can get a young player they can control for a few years. Ala the way the Indians traded Choo (expiring contract) for Trevor Bauer.

7. Likes:

redsfandan (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Because Morse is gone at the end of the season. The only way they'll do it is if they can get a young player they can control for a few years. Ala the way the Indians traded Choo (expiring contract) for Trevor Bauer.
    Great point, they could atleast get 2-3 years of potential than 2-3 months of Morse. I would love the trade but if I was a Mariner's fan, I would be alittle bummed.

As an 80s and 90s mariners fan, being bummed is the natural thing to be

Great point, they could atleast get 2-3 years of potential than 2-3 months of Morse. I would love the trade but if I was a Mariner's fan, I would be alittle bummed.
    No doubt they've gotten the short end of the stick in production with him, but they've failed to put much around him in a pitcher's park. He ops'd around 900 in Washington. I'd love to see what he can do in GABP in the 4 spot, but I'd only do it if he's willing to sign an extension. No sense adding another one year rental who would be starting.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...orsemi01.shtml

Morse is righthanded.

Kind of funny. So many people are dogging Morse, that he's no good. But then when someone proposes a deal to get him, they say the M's will want more than that.

If Morse isn't that good, it shouldn't take much to get him. Especially as a rental.

2011 - .303/.360/.550/.910, 31 HR's - 146 games
    2012 - .291/.321/.470/.791, 18 HR's - 102 games
    Currently hitting in a pitcher's park. Might give his offense a jolt hitting in GABP.

Neftali Soto has no future with the Reds. He'll be a 1B or DH in the majors. He's a 4A player right now. I'd offer him straight up for Morse.

If they say no, no big deal.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Looking up his numbers, I see Morse hit the big leagues as a shortstop. I bet a pickup truck with no tires could have gotten to more grounders than Morse did.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...orsemi01.shtml

Morse is righthanded.

Kind of funny. So many people are dogging Morse, that he's no good. But then when someone proposes a deal to get him, they say the M's will want more than that.

If Morse isn't that good, it shouldn't take much to get him. Especially as a rental.

2011 - .303/.360/.550/.910, 31 HR's - 146 games
    2012 - .291/.321/.470/.791, 18 HR's - 102 games
    Currently hitting in a pitcher's park. Might give his offense a jolt hitting in GABP.

Neftali Soto has no future with the Reds. He'll be a 1B or DH in the majors. He's a 4A player right now. I'd offer him straight up for Morse.

If they say no, no big deal.
    Why would the M's want to trade a cheap useful player for a cheap questionably useful one?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why would the M's want to trade a cheap useful player for a cheap questionably useful one?
    Well........

M's are 8 games below .500 and 10 games back. It's pretty much a given that Texas and Oakland are the cream of the AL West. Seattle isn't going to make the playoffs. Teams that are far from making the playoffs are in rebuilding mode.

So then I ask........where does a 31 year old OFer, signed for this year only at nearly $7M, and hitting free agency for the first time after this season, fit into Seattle's plans? He doesn't. As a free agent, most players are looking for $$$ and then playing for a contender. And a lot of hitters can't wait to get out of pitcher's parks. But I digress.

More than likely, Morse is going to walk. And the M's are going to get nothing for him. UNLESS! ........they consider trading him now for SOMETHING!

I guess the great debate is how much can the M's get for a rental player? And according to this thread, not a very good one.

If for no other reason, it would be a salary dump of $7M for Morse to the minimum for Neftali Soto, and having Soto under control. Soto may be a bust in the major leagues. He definitely doesn't have much more to prove in triple A. Or trade them Lutz.

Why would a GM worried about his job security dump paultry salary in bad moves?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

16. Likes:

LoganBuck (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If for no other reason, it would be a salary dump of $7M for Morse to the minimum for Neftali Soto, and having Soto under control. Soto may be a bust in the major leagues. He definitely doesn't have much more to prove in triple A. Or trade them Lutz.
    Fair enough. I could see something like that happening if Walt shares your reasoning -- especially if Ludwick still looks iffy around the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Fair enough. I could see something like that happening if Walt shares your reasoning -- especially if Ludwick still looks iffy around the trade deadline.
    For the record.....I'm not that high on Morse. My conditions for taking on Morse would be.......

1. Do the deal now. He won't be needed when Ludwick comes back, unless he doesn't come back. But right now, with Ludwick AND Heisey out, he could be useful against lefties.

2. I'm only giving up a player that is blocked at the major league level or isn't in the Reds long term plans. Morse is simply a rental.

Turn Off Ads?