Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Reds should trade for Morse and Perez

Re: Yahoo: Reds should trade for Morse and Perez

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Dude is playing in JAPAN. No MLB team wants him. If they did he would be here.
    Personally, if I was considered a AAAA player I'd head for Japan...baseball's AAAA junkyard.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-13-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

His competition was Laynce Nix and Jonny Gomes. Gomes played well. Nix was and will always be replaceable. Gomes was a statue in LF, but had a really good year at the plate.

pfft. His numbers in 2009 were comparable in his limited PT to Nix, Dickerson et al.

I can see selling a Danny Dorn to Japan. Wlad took his Japan Opportunity and he's running with it. Good for him, wish he had a better shot in a hitter's environment in MLB, and the way he's raking now, who knows. Guys do come back. Some succeed, most fail.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    His competition was Laynce Nix and Jonny Gomes. Gomes played well. Nix was and will always be replaceable. Gomes was a statue in LF, but had a really good year at the plate.

pfft. His numbers in 2009 were comparable in his limited PT to Nix, Dickerson et al.

I can see selling a Danny Dorn to Japan. Wlad took his Japan Opportunity and he's running with it. Good for him, wish he had a better shot in a hitter's environment in MLB, and the way he's raking now, who knows. Guys do come back. Some succeed, most fail.
    Wlad was ran through the Ms system at a time when Bavasi was running the show for the Ms. Wlad's acquisition and time with the Reds coincided with Bavasi being in the Reds FO. It's probably likely that the Reds picked up Wlad for a bag of balls because of Bavasi's input. It's also likely that the Reds parted ways with Wlad with significant input from Bavasi. I think it's fair to suggest that the Reds had a pretty good sense of Wlad.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Personally, if I was considered a AAAA player I'd head for Japan...baseball's AAAA junkyard.
    Oh for sure. I'm not saying it was a bad move on his part, but lets not sit here and act like the Reds letting him go is some great tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

7. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-13-2013)

Oh for sure. I'm not saying it was a bad move on his part, but lets not sit here and act like the Reds letting him go is some great tragedy.
    It's not a tragedy, but he's hit 82 HR's in something like less than 300 games. Say what you want about the talent level, but if he were a Japanese player posting those numbers, there would be a half dozen teams rumored to be in on acquiring him.

Edit:

And he posted this at AAA in 2010: .282 .337 .536 873 25 HR's.

I'm just saying, dud seems to have found his talent level, could have probably hit as well as Ludwick and cost about 1/8th as much. No biggie.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-13-2013 at 04:13 PM.

It's not a tragedy, but he's hit 82 HR's in something like less than 300 games. Say what you want about the talent level, but if he were a Japanese player posting those numbers, there would be a half dozen teams rumored to be in on acquiring him.
    If they hadn't already bombed in America? Maybe.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Edit:

And he posted this at AAA in 2010: .282 .337 .536 873 25 HR's.

I'm just saying, dud seems to have found his talent level, could have probably hit as well as Ludwick and cost about 1/8th as much. No biggie.
    If Balentin could hit 25 HRs and have an .877 OPS he wouldn't be playing in Japan.

If Balentin could hit 25 HRs and have an .877 OPS he wouldn't be playing in Japan.
    Cecil Fielder says hi, while eating a hoagie.

Some guys bloom late. Some tick off or rub the wrong way people that control their futures. He hit 25 HR's at AAA at age 25. So yeah, I think he could have hit 25 at the MLB level as he was reaching his age prime years. Not everyone is Bruce or Stanton.

Some guys bloom late. Some tick off or rub the wrong way people that control their futures. He hit 25 HR's at AAA at age 25. So yeah, I think he could have hit 25 at the MLB level as he was reaching his age prime years. Not everyone is Bruce or Stanton.
    1 guy has gone to Japan and come back a star and stayed a star he's an oultier, Orestes Destrade is more of your argument

13. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-13-2013)

Nor is everyone Cecil Fielder.

Just like Roberto Petagine and Sean Casey, you seem to be channeling your inner NEILYNG.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    1 guy has gone to Japan and come back a star and stayed a star he's an oultier, Orestes Destrade is more of your argument
    Tat's a good point. I guess my question isn't so much why as it is why these guys DON'T get the second chance. Put player A and player B side by side. Both about 27-29 one native Japanese player one an import, sold by a MLB team, the Japanese player is more likely to come over than the import is to come back It seems inefficient to me.

Tat's a good point. I guess my question isn't so much why as it is why these guys DON'T get the second chance. Put player A and player B side by side. Both about 27-29 one native Japanese player one an import, sold by a MLB team, the Japanese player is more likely to come over than the import is to come back It seems inefficient to me.
    Most guys that go there have one asset, they can hit for power.

Most guys who come from there have more than one tool, they can run, field, handle the bat, throw, they are missing the thing that is already available in the states, power.

Wily Mo Pena is having a good year in Japan too.

Wily Mo Pena is having a good year in Japan too.
    He also had some good years here in the states too.

Turn Off Ads?