Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Reds should trade for Morse and Perez

Re: Yahoo: Reds should trade for Morse and Perez

The author of the piece is a member of the yahoo contributor network and is just some dude.

I believe my mom might be a yahoo contributor
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Likes:

BillDoran (06-12-2013), edabbs44 (06-12-2013), Red Soup (06-12-2013), Revering4Blue (06-12-2013), westofyou (06-12-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Heck. I'd do Neftali Soto for Oliver Perez straight up.

You have to remember that Morse and Perez are basically rentals, so the M's won't get that much for them.
    I'd do it too. Why would Seattle? Soto is more suspect than prospect and he plays a position where they already have suspects (Smoak, Montero).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The author of the piece is a member of the yahoo contributor network and is just some dude.

I believe my mom might be a yahoo contributor
    Was about to say the same thing, this guy's history leads me to believe that he is a delusional Reds fan.

Okay, some of these Yahoo! Contributor pieces really could be posts on RZ. I honestly don't think we need to link to them to cite authority here. :-)
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why would Seattle do that deal?
    Because we want them to take our flotsam and jetsam and give us real value in return?
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd do it too. Why would Seattle? Soto is more suspect than prospect and he plays a position where they already have suspects (Smoak, Montero).
    If we're going to send them a 1b, Lutz is probably the most likely candidate.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

I still wouldn't want Perez. He's been effective this year in the bullpen but I believe he's still a headcase. I saw him a few days ago and he was getting all bent out of shape over some ball/strike calls when it wasn't necesary,IMO. Morse would be a good target. But really have no idea what it would take to get him. Probably more than just Lutz.

I will add that the Yahoo contributing piece is about like reading most posts in the SunDeck forum. Read it with a huge grain of salt and some humor.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 06-12-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Reads like a Bleacher Report piece, which is what the Yahoo Contributor Network is becoming.

11. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (06-12-2013), cumberlandreds (06-12-2013), Revering4Blue (06-12-2013)

I wouldn't do this trade. Lutz/Paul/Robinson > Morse. There is so many tangibles with our pen. JJ is still young and learning (needs more AAA), Broxton can get control, and Marshall might be lights out when he returns.

This trade is jumping the gun if you ask me.

Heck, with good playing time in AAA Ondrusk might harden up.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Reads like a Bleacher Report piece, which is what the Yahoo Contributor Network is becoming.
    Bleacher Report articles are like reading something written by a dim witted, over-caffeinated 14 year old who has been following sports, like, forever (you know, for the past year or so).

14. Likes:

MBZags (06-12-2013), Revering4Blue (06-12-2013), Tom Servo (06-12-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Is "Yahoo Contributor" the new "Bleacher Report"? If so, yes, let's make a rule we're not allowed to link to their content. If it's like the old b/r setup, these are nothing more than fans throwing stuff against the wall.

I'm sure the M's would get a far better offer than that for Morse/Perez if other teams got wind of the fact they were on the market.

EDIT: Just saw OesterPoster's post. Great minds. And us too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I had no clue Oliver Perez was still in the majors, let alone an effective reliever. And I like to think that I follow baseball pretty closely. Shocking.

That said, I want no part of Morse on the Reds roster. He's a statue in left, and a 1-trick pony at the plate. If I remember correctly, this team will play in NL parks for much of the remaining season. If we are looking for upgrades in the outfield it should be for guys who can do better on both sides of the game than the platoon in place.
    Yep, Morse is not a good fit for the Reds.
    He's had two decent OBP years (2010-2011), the others have not been great.
    With Mez/Hannigan, Frasier, and Cozart on the roster.. Ideally you'd want a guy that had a little bit of OBP (as opposed to power). Plus, the big point you bring up. The guy can not play defense well.

I'd much rather have a guy like DeJesus.
    Picking up a guy like Morse now (even if the M's somehow pick up all the salary) poentially limits our options later for a LF upgrade.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Morse is a statue and Perez a zombie with the chance of dying on the field again.

Pass

18. Likes:

RedEye (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Because we want them to take our flotsam and jetsam and give us real value in return?
    I don't think this trade will happen and understand this article is bs, but I just want to point out the mariners have a history of getting fleeced in trades.

Carlos guillen for Ramon Santiago
    Doug fister for Casper wells, Charlie furbush and other flotsam
    Shin Soo Choo for Ben Broussard!
    Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez
    Omar Vizquel to Cle for garbage
    Tino Martinez and Jeff Nelson to Yankees for garbage
    Adam Jones for Eric bedard
    Derek Lowe and Jason varitek for heathcliff slocumb

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Why would Seattle do that deal?
    Morse is a free agent and will leave in all likelyhood leave Seattle (a pitcher's park) at season's end anyway. I'm not interested in another 1 year rental. If they can reach an extension before trading for him then I'd jump on it.

Turn Off Ads?