Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you make this hypothetical deal?

Would you make this hypothetical deal?

Bailey centered for Profar centered deal(once Cueto is healthy)? It sounds like the Rangers are looking for an established starter for Profar - with Kinsler and Andrus both locked up long term 4+ years after this.

I like the idea of doing a Bailey trade at the deadline as I think we could then re-up Arroyo next year, for about the same money, Texas is a place Homer may be more inclined to sign long term (his home state, not GABP), I can't see affording Cueto, Bailey and Latos long term.

I'd be fine with a starting 5 of Latos, Cueto, Arroyo, Leake and Cingrani for the rest of this year and next.

If a SS must bat second a switch hitter that walks almost as much as he strikes out sounds nice.

I don't know enough of deals to even guess who would have to throw in more pieces in this deal or how significant they would be. It's rare that prospects this highly rated are blocked, and it's rare pitchers like Bailey are traded.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: Would you make this hypothetical deal?

I'd rather deal Cingrani, although I understand the argument for trading Texas native Bailey. I'd definitely need more than Profar back, though. A LH for the pen and a high ceiling starter that's close to the majors would be in the deal for Bailey.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

What is the point of making about a dozen transactions designed towards winning in 2013 and then, at the 2013 trade deadline, trading a pitcher that makes the team worse in 2013, even if the trade might improve the organization over the long-term?

5. Likes:

coachpipe (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    What is the point of making about a dozen transactions designed towards winning in 2013 and then, at the 2013 trade deadline, trading a pitcher that makes the team worse in 2013, even if the trade might improve the organization over the long-term?
    Unfortunately this makes the most sense to me. I'd love to see it happen, but I'm afraid it doesn't make sense for a championship run.

If I say yes or no, what do I win?

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I think it could help us win in 2013 and make the team better in 2013 (though it is a gamble) - we have 6 starters producing well:
    2013 WAR
    Latos 1.7, Arroyo 1.7, Leake 1.6, Cueto 1.5, Bailey 1.2, Cingrani .8
    Cingrani gives us a lefty starter in the mix and while Bailey has been good, he's producing the least per start out of the 6.

I think Profar would be a SS upgrade this season.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd be inclined to consider it.

Profar would just be a too attractive piece to get, if the Reds don't think they can sign Bailey to an extension.

A lot would depend on Cueto's health.

It's also sometohng that can be considered during the off season.

I would do the trade in the offseason, especially if Homer balks at efforts to extend him.

I would not do the trade during this season.

In the offseason, the Reds may have to add a piece - perhaps Lutz, Paul (if he keeps this up), or some other OF prospect (not Hamilton or Winker). Texas is already short an OF and Nelson Cruz is a FA-to-be facing possible suspension.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

When is Homer a free agent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    When is Homer a free agent?
    After 2014 I believe
    Go BLUE!!!

With the way cueto has been constantly injured recently I think extending homer should be a priority.

14. Likes:

Mario-Rijo (06-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    After 2014 I believe
    I'd probably hang onto him then. A similar deal to this I might consider next year, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Not a fan of this idea. My problem has to do with Arroyo and Leake. They have very similar pitching styles and Arroyo's age is getting high. I'd rather have the potential-ace material in Bailey to compliment Latos/Cueto. Especially since Cueto is injury-prone, I don't think the Reds can afford to ship off a SP.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    I think it could help us win in 2013 and make the team better in 2013 (though it is a gamble) - we have 6 starters producing well:
    2013 WAR
    Latos 1.7, Arroyo 1.7, Leake 1.6, Cueto 1.5, Bailey 1.2, Cingrani .8
    Cingrani gives us a lefty starter in the mix and while Bailey has been good, he's producing the least per start out of the 6.

I think Profar would be a SS upgrade this season.
    I don't want two of Leake, Arroyo, and Cingrani in a playoff rotation. I want Cueto, Bailey, Latos, and Arroyo. First-third of the season WAR numbers aside, I don't think that should be particularly controversial.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If you traded Bailey to Texas for Profar, why would the Reds have to add ANYTHING to make the deal? I would think Texas would have to add something.

To me, Bailey is atleast a #2 starter. And he continues to get better and better. His best years are still ahead of him.

I don't like the idea of trading Bailey. But my gut tells me Bailey is going to test free agency and move on. My other instinct is that the Reds cannot afford to pay Cueto, Latos, and Bailey big contracts. So the one least likely to sign an extension should be considered in trade. Although I'd rather trade Cueto because his constant injuries concern me long term.

Turn Off Ads?