Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you make this hypothetical deal?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Would you make this hypothetical deal?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I don't think Texas would do that deal.
    I don't want to deal for Profar. I'm sick from all the overhype of him.

I'm moving on.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

I'm moving on.
    He's not really overhyped but suggesting that 1 year and a half of Homer @ a salary next year that will likely be a substantial raise is an overpay does undervalue Profar.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Clearly
    I'm moving on.
    I doubt that
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

5. Likes:

RadfordVA (06-12-2013)

Actually, incorrect. Many of them had better numbers than Profar.
    That's not the point. The point is that Texas does not agree with you about Profar's value -- nor does most of the rest of baseball most likely -- so the proposal of Bailey for Profar is pie-in-the-sky unlikely.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

And Profar isn't even in triple A yet.
    Profar has been starting at second base for the Rangers-at age 20.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I can't wait until Profar plays in the majors.
    I don't think you're talking about the same Profar that everyone else in this thread is discussing.

9. Likes:

RadfordVA (06-12-2013), Raisor (06-12-2013), UCBrownsfan (06-12-2013)

Not at his age, at the same level.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    Sometimes the trade proposals (and the reactions to them) on this board really make me shake my head.

Go to any non-Reds forum or community, propose this deal, and watch it not just be shot down, but outright mocked.

The consensus #1 prospect in all of baseball for 1.5 years of a decent #2/good #3 SP? A guy that Texas could just sign after next season without giving up anyone? If you called the Rangers offering this trade, they'd laugh in your face - and some of you want them to throw in MORE?
    Exactly and what would be the payoff for the Rangers? To improve a rotation that is currently ranked #3 in the majors by FIP or xFIP (8th by era).

As trade proposals go, this one probably has pretty stubby legs.

How many of them were a starting middle infielder at age 20 on a team in the midst of a playoff race?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

In short...no.

Does anybody here see shortstop as a weakness right now? It's only a perceived weakness because Cozart is hitting in the 2 hole most of the time. But defensively he's VERY solid. Put him low in the order and he's MORE than acceptable for a starter. Well above average IMO.

And instead of looking to deal one of our starters...I think looking to lock up those starters are more in our best interests. I know many are enamored of Tony Cingrani. I like the kid too...but I don't see him as better than any of our current 5 starters. And if they DO let Bronson go...I don't move Tony into the rotation. I put Aroldis there. Well, let me rephrase that. I put Aroldis and Tony into a ST competition for that slot. But one way or another, I want Chapman to get a shot at starting next season. Tony could easily use a season in AAA to refine his off-speed stuff.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

14. Likes:

Vottomatic (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    In short...no.

Does anybody here see shortstop as a weakness right now? It's only a perceived weakness because Cozart is hitting in the 2 hole most of the time. But defensively he's VERY solid. Put him low in the order and he's MORE than acceptable for a starter. Well above average IMO.
    Cozart is decent on D and poor on O. I don't let him stop me from acquiring Profar.

It would never happen (for all the reasons previously discussed) but if the Rangers are dangling Profar for Bailey and/or Cingrani, I jump at the chance. Profar is the kind of player you build around for many years. He's potentially a premium two-way SS that could anchor the team for the next decade plus. Heck, I would throw in Cozart too, if it made them feel better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Cozart is decent on D and poor on O. I don't let him stop me from acquiring Profar.

It would never happen (for all the reasons previously discussed) but if the Rangers are dangling Profar for Bailey and/or Cingrani, I jump at the chance. Profar is the kind of player you build around for many years. He's potentially a premium two-way SS that could anchor the team for the next decade plus. Heck, I would throw in Cozart too, if it made them feel better about it.
    I'm not saying that Zack would stop me from getting Profar. I'm saying that Profar isn't such a need on this club that I'm willing to gut a strength to prop up a non-weakness. I'm unwilling to gut the farm either. Cozy is more than good enough for a championship club. I'm saying that Profar is a poor target for the Reds. LF, LHRP, upper-echelon farm hands...those are bigger needs for the Reds than shortstop IMO and it's not even close.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

17. Likes:

Vottomatic (06-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm not saying that Zack would stop me from getting Profar. I'm saying that Profar isn't such a need on this club that I'm willing to gut a strength to prop up a non-weakness. I'm unwilling to gut the farm either. Cozy is more than good enough for a championship club. I'm saying that Profar is a poor target for the Reds. LF, LHRP, upper-echelon farm hands...those are bigger needs for the Reds than shortstop IMO and it's not even close.
    Profar, IMO, is a great target for any team who doesn't already have a franchise player at SS. I count the Reds among those.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

OK how about Bailey, B Hamilton and Corcino for Profar and Ross?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Profar, IMO, is a great target for any team who doesn't already have a franchise player at SS. I count the Reds among those.
    If you can deal from a position of strength and depth...sure. But in order to get him, we'd have to empty the farm OR deal away a top starter. No chance I'm doing either. Is he an upgrade, most likely. Is he a need...no.
    2014 predictions:
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Turn Off Ads?