Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things I want to learn how to do

Re: Things I want to learn how to do

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Nice thread.

I want to learn woodworking, like building tables and maybe a chest of drawers or something.
    Lift weights well.
    Cook. Grilling does not apply. I can grill just fine.
    Piano.
    Hunt.

Maybe in that order.
    Curious on the bolded Wildcat. What constitutes lifting them "well"?

As for what I'd like to learn to do, I've been studying up on starting my own side business lately and I'd like to learn more about investments as well.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud

I would like to learn to ride a motorcycle.

I would like to start some kind of creative writing.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Changing oil involves watching a YouTube video and a trip to NAPA.

Same amount of work as grilling a hamburger.
    It also takes me being less lazy, which might be the deal breaker

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post

As for what I'd like to learn to do, I've been studying up on starting my own side business lately and I'd like to learn more about investments as well.
    Go to any gym and watch most of the young men there, yanking and grunting like they are passing kidney stones. That is not lifting well.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    It's a combination of doing it with some kind of strategy and doing it regularly, and effectively. I don't really know--all I know is a weight room at a gym is really intimidating to me, and I'm not at a place where I can afford a trainer more than once a month or something.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Learn a foreign language.
    Re-learn how to play the piano.
    Learn how to build something out of wood.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Learn how to build something out of wood.
    A witch?

It's a combination of doing it with some kind of strategy and doing it regularly, and effectively.
    Any of the "New Rules of Lifting" books by Alwyn Cosgrove and Lou Schuler will give you a great strategy. Doing it regularly is up to you. Given decent nutrition, effectiveness is can't miss.

This is what I do for a living so hit me up w/ a PM if you want. I'm happy to help.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

10. Likes:

WildcatFan (06-13-2013)

It's a combination of doing it with some kind of strategy and doing it regularly, and effectively. I don't really know--all I know is a weight room at a gym is really intimidating to me, and I'm not at a place where I can afford a trainer more than once a month or something.
    Once a month is all you really need. Most gyms will do a free assessment, then you can agree to pay for one training session and have the trainer give you a good one to two week schedule. Then you can check in with them once a month to either a) check on your techniques and/or b) learn some new exercises.

I actually joined a small group class for three months where we met 3 times/week. In a lot of ways it was like being in a private class because the other people in the group had learned the routine and the trainer could give me some attention for the first week or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

12. Likes:

WildcatFan (06-13-2013)

I wanna learn how to speed read. I don't need to be all Will-Hunting-fast, but I'd like to at least double where I am right now. I think it'd be a useful and practical skill for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Screwball; 06-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.

14. Likes:

TSJ55 (06-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Go to any gym and watch most of the young men there, yanking and grunting like they are passing kidney stones. That is not lifting well.
    In my experience, 1/4 reps, dangerous form, and ridiculous routines, all among the myriad of other things going wrong in the gym, are not age or gender biased.

Would love to learn piano and/or guitar. Problem is my lack of patience. I almost wish I was one of those poor kids who was forced to take music lessons but nooooo, my parents had to let me run around and play sports and be all happy and stuff.

Hadn't thought of it before I saw it here but speed reading is another good one. There are so many books I want to read and just not enough hours in a lifetime.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I have always wanted to learn to fly fish. It looks like such a neat skill. I don't have the time, to learn.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Celestial Navigation and other topics related to off shore sailing.
    Calculus
    Welding
    Singing
    I welded once. I've never felt more powerful in my entire life.

You BEND METAL to your will. And you have to wear long sleeves, even for just a few seconds of welding, so you don't get "sun"burned. It is the closest I have ever felt to God.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

19. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I welded once. I've never felt more powerful in my entire life.

You BEND METAL to your will. And you have to wear long sleeves, even for just a few seconds of welding, so you don't get "sun"burned. It is the closest I have ever felt to God.
    I just need to fix my boat trailer. But seriously, I understand where you're coming from. Is really too bad shop class doesn't exist in school anymore, a true STEM building block.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?