Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephenson to the DL

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Stephenson to the DL

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    How common is that for a pitcher to tear their hamstring while pitching? I don't think that I have ever heard of that before.
    I am pretty sure it didn't happen while he was pitching, but doing his other in between start activities.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

A different scout told me the only player in baseball he would trade Stephenson for right now was Trout. You can take that for what it's worth...just a guy talking.
    Absolutely ridiculous statement.

But I hope he's right.

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-14-2013)

That is correct. He suffered the injury while doing his running between starts. Pitchers have a program, foul pole to foul pole at speed, certain number of reps.

Stephenson is a guy who is known to be a very hard worker, very serious-minded about doing his running, keeping his legs strong. Stays on the program without needing to be told to get his work in.

Tough break...he'll be back.

So how did it happen? Did he catch a cleat? Slip? Or was it just a freak accident?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    So how did it happen? Did he catch a cleat? Slip? Or was it just a freak accident?
    Probably didn't stretch / warm up properly.

That is usually how I wind up with a hammy pull.

Reds top prospect Robert Stephenson won't be getting rushed back. Might miss up to three weeks. Being very cautious with his strained hammy.

Stephenson was 4-0 last six starts, 38.2 ip, 5 BB, 50 K, 0.93 ERA.

Dayton manager Jose Nieves said no word on call-up, but said he feels Stephenson could go to AA (Pensacola) and pitch well after last month.

https://twitter.com/bj_bethel

I will put it out there: Stephenson was going to be promoted to Pensacola after the All-Star game. He was told about it. Then the injury happened. Unless he comes back and performs poorly, expect him to finish the year in Pensacola after a few "warm up" starts with Dayton.

11. Likes:

bellhead (06-22-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-21-2013),PepperJack (06-22-2013),texasdave (06-22-2013),Tom Servo (06-21-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-21-2013)

I will put it out there: Stephenson was going to be promoted to Pensacola after the All-Star game. He was told about it. Then the injury happened. Unless he comes back and performs poorly, expect him to finish the year in Pensacola after a few "warm up" starts with Dayton.
    I think redsof72 was the first to mention this possibility -- Jocketty must have liked what he saw in Dayton. It's exciting. Hopefully he comes back at full strength and can earn his way to AA. They have to be careful not to rush him to Cincy, though, as they did with Homer.

13. Likes:

HokieRed (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Probably didn't stretch / warm up properly.

That is usually how I wind up with a hammy pull.
    Tear? Strain? Which one is it. How can you tear a hamstring from just regular work outs, unless this is typical Reds luck. A strain I can see but a tear?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do you think they just want to keep him out of the offensively-leaning California League? Why wouldn't the team give him a handful of starts near his home so his family and friends could watch him? It's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Do you think they just want to keep him out of the offensively-leaning California League? Why wouldn't the team give him a handful of starts near his home so his family and friends could watch him? It's not a big deal.
    I can't say for certain about why they would skip him over the California League, but from watching him this season especially the last 6 weeks, there simply wasn't something for him to work on there. Granted I honestly feel the same way about AA. When he is throwing the ball in the strikezone, the results are going to be there no matter where he was at.

As for getting him near his home.... Bakersfield is certainly closer than any other stop, but it is still 4.5 hours away in a car. I am sure that some friends/family would road trip that, but it isn't like a kid from Cincinnati skipping over Dayton either.

The hamstring terminology...from trainers I have talked to...any strain is actually a tear. The magnitude of the tear will vary, but the term "tear" is the correct term for a damaged hamstring. It can tear to a point where you are out for months (Reggie Jackson on crutches at the 1972 World Series) or tear to a point where you are out for a few weeks.

Stephenson is hoping to be back in a game sometime in the July 4-9 range.

The point Doug makes is valid. When you are throwing 96-100 with a great breaking ball and a very good change...California League hitters are not going to do any more with that than Midwest League hitters.

This is a rare player at this point. Enjoy it.

Take care of that elbow and shoulder, Mr. Stephenson.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-22-2013),SeeinRed (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    The hamstring terminology...from trainers I have talked to...any strain is actually a tear. The magnitude of the tear will vary, but the term "tear" is the correct term for a damaged hamstring. It can tear to a point where you are out for months (Reggie Jackson on crutches at the 1972 World Series) or tear to a point where you are out for a few weeks.

Stephenson is hoping to be back in a game sometime in the July 4-9 range.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Turn Off Ads?