Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Broxton to the DL, Villarreal back up

Re: What's wrong w/ Broxton ?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Man oh man this bullpen is a mess. I was hoping Walt could swing a trade for a guy like Luke Gregorson but the Padres are back in the race, so that's doubtful.
    I'm not sure it was any less of a mess with Broxton in it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Yohan Pino. Do not care of he is 29. They guy should be the one called up. Stupid management of the 40 man roster. One of the things along with building some of the worst benches I have seen....is the only flaw that Walt and his management team seem to have.
    Man I am so upset...I cannot even spell or use proper grammar today.

What options are there on the roster of the Twins and Mariners? I know they do not think they are in anything.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

What options are there on the roster of the Twins and Mariners? I know they do not think they are in anything.
    They just temporarily removed Wilhemsen from the closer's role. I'd like him...
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Greg Reynolds can opt out of his deal with the Reds as of today. I thought maybe he'd get the call since they're at 39 on the 40-man. He's scheduled to start for Louisville tonight. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Seems like a far more valuable guy than some on the 40 man (Ravin, Lotzkar and others...).
    My guess is this is done, and the Zach Duke pickup is the response.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Man oh man this bullpen is a mess. I was hoping Walt could swing a trade for a guy like Luke Gregorson but the Padres are back in the race, so that's doubtful.
    In not sure that I agree it is a mess. A mess would be the '06 Reds bullpen. Or what Houston is currently calling a bullpen. 18/30 in the majors in ERA and 14th is pretty much a rounding error away. The teams currently lumped in with them include Detroit, Tampa, Boston and Washington.

Sure they could be pitching better and we have been spoiled as of late. But they aren't a mess. They are pretty avg.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    They just temporarily removed Wilhemsen from the closer's role. I'd like him...
    That's good.
    Jesse Crain with the White Sox, although I think they see themselves as WC contenders and never out of it. I would like him as well.
    Brandon Lyon from the Mets?

Charlie Furbush and Oliver Perez are having nice years.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1995 View Post
    Charlie Furbush and Oliver Perez are having nice years.
    Its pretty unlikely that the Ms are going to start dumping useful players.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Villareal tells me the following.

Cueto to come back tomorrow.

Cingrani to stay.

Villareal back down. One day stop gap IMO.
    Sounds like the plan.

Johnny Cueto - S - Reds
    Johnny Cueto (lat) will return from the disabled list on Sunday.
    Cueto will be activated when first eligible and start Sunday against the Brewers. He returns to a 2.17 ERA over six starts this season. Reds manager Dusty Baker said that it's ''possible" Tony Cingrani will remain on the roster in a bullpen role.
    Source: C. Trent Rosecrans on Twitter Jun 15 - 1:40 PM

11. Likes:

Raisor (06-15-2013)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ro-villarreal/

Baker said he was assured before Thursday’s 14-inning game that Broxton couldn’t make the injury worse if used, and only used him as a last resort (even though Aroldis Chapman was available).

“They assured us that in the beginning, that’s why I said he was our last resort, he could have pitched earlier in the game, and the doctors told us they were pretty sure nothing worse could happen,” Baker said. “They didn’t think it was structural then. If it was structural, we would have put him on the DL right away. We’re pretty cautious with our medical staff and our coaching staff with injuries. If anything, we’re overly cautious at this time of the year. You talk to (Sean) Marshall and Broxton, they said if this was September, it’s a different story, but we’ve got two-thirds of the season left.”
    Indefensible!!!!1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

So, the short term plan seems to be -

Three young bat missers. Cingrani, Hoover, Partch.

Three crafty veterans. Lecure, Simon, Parra.

The closer. Chapman.

Could be worse.

Overall, it's a situation where the veteran relievers have suffered injuries which hopefully are not long term problems.

The replacements overall are young, inexperienced, hard throwing bat missers.

This is fine with me. Good lefty/righty mix. Parra needs to be used solely as a LOOGY.

Too bad if this causes a lapse in Cingrani's development as a starter. But it may just be unavoidable. Reds seem aware of this and hopefully will handle it well.

When is Marshall back?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Yes. They like to have injured players sit on the bench and hope they get back in a few days...when the DL would be more prudent. They take their time moving players to the 60 day DL, that should be and can be moved there in order to get someone else on the 40 man. They like to play short...it seems a lot of times. This year...it seems the bullpen has someone who "is not right and cannot go today"

This year...Walt will actually have to make a trade or two in the middle of the year to help the team win, not just hold.
    The good thing about a winning team with a depleted bullpen is that it's the easiest part of your team to trade for someone.

The bad thing is. . . .do we even have a decent minor league arm to trade for a decent major league arm?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I guess this is what Jonathan meant by "only so many bullets left" before signing the 3-year deal.

On another note, Jocketty needs to have a halfway-decent lefty reliever stashed at AAA for just this kind of thing.

Villarreal has been absolutely brutal lately.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Villarreal has been absolutely brutal lately.
    Lately?

Turn Off Ads?