Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Broxton to the DL, Villarreal back up

Re: What's wrong w/ Broxton ?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I could care less about what he did before the 14th inning. The fact is that in the 14th inning he chose to use a guy they suspected was hurt and had an MRI set up for before he used a pitcher who is 100% healthy.

That is poor management at best.
    I didn't see the MRI quote...where was that stated?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It's beyond hyperbole.
    Hey look, another knee jerk post from you critiquing a supposed knee jerk post.

Somehow I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    It kind of is, considering Milton had one of the worst years for a starting pitcher ever. Broxton, while disappointing, isn't and won't be nearly that bad.

This discussion is really silly at this point, but nevertheless, you still haven't convinced me of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Hey look, another knee jerk post from you critiquing a supposed knee jerk post.

Somehow I'm not surprised.
    Milton pitched 66 games and gave the Reds a 5.83 ERA. During that time, he was making roughly $8.5MM per year, which made up approximately 12-15% of the Reds payroll while he was performing like that.

Broxton has a 4.33 ERA in the first 2.5 months of a three year contract, one where his average yearly salary makes up roughly 8% of the Reds payroll this season.

Pretty different, especially when Milton's three glorious years are written in stone and the vast majority of Broxton's contract is still yet to be determined.

Like I stated before about location.

Even a less than drastic ability to hit spots on your fastball is a pretty heavy indicator of elbow or shoulder issues.

If you need me to cite that, I can tell you I lost my location terribly in High School. This was due to throwing a curveball much too young. Everyone warned my Dad, he dismissed it. I get checked out...sure enough....elbow problems. I never pitched again.

What's frustrating is you think the pitch is going where it needs too, but your elbow has different intentions....typically the corners become over the plate and over the plate becomes the corners/ or a ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    now that is hyperbole
    It's beyond hyperbole.
    Hyperbole is a billion times worse than understatement!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I could care less about what he did before the 14th inning. The fact is that in the 14th inning he chose to use a guy they suspected was hurt and had an MRI set up for before he used a pitcher who is 100% healthy.

That is poor management at best.
    Can we also blame Reds management for even having him in the bullpen to begin with?

9. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (06-14-2013)

According to the report, Broxton was unavailable for yesterday's game and was scheduled to see dr. K today with a sore elbow.

He's been struggling.

He's sore enough that they want him to see the team doctor.

They use him before Chapman.

And people are defending this?

The Reds have to have Broxton healthy. This was not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    According to the report, Broxton was unavailable for yesterday's game and was scheduled to see dr. K today with a sore elbow.

He's been struggling.

He's sore enough that they want him to see the team doctor.

They use him before Chapman.

And people are defending this?

The Reds have to have Broxton healthy. This was not a good idea.
    I'm only defending it from the perspective for why they even let him in the bullpen to begin with. If you're a pitcher and you have an elbow issue, why does management even let him near the field if he's scheduled to see a Dr? Blame Dusty all you want, but the guy shouldn't have even been at Wrigley if they were so worried about it.

12. Likes:

remdog (06-15-2013)

If Broxton is out, what do they do?

Keep Cingrani when Cueto returns Sunday?

Bring back Ondrusek?

Bring up Pino, or Reynolds, or Arredondo, or someone else?

Punt?

Reds twitter feed:
    Reds ‏@Reds 2h
    An ultrasound examination revealed swelling within the right elbow joint of Jonathan Broxton. He is day-to-day.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Broxton is out, what do they do?

Keep Cingrani when Cueto returns Sunday?

Bring back Ondrusek?

Bring up Pino, or Reynolds, or Arredondo, or someone else?

Punt?
    I would keep Cingrani.

Milton pitched 66 games and gave the Reds a 5.83 ERA. During that time, he was making roughly $8.5MM per year, which made up approximately 12-15% of the Reds payroll while he was performing like that.

Broxton has a 4.33 ERA in the first 2.5 months of a three year contract, one where his average yearly salary makes up roughly 8% of the Reds payroll this season.

Pretty different, especially when Milton's three glorious years are written in stone and the vast majority of Broxton's contract is still yet to be determined.
    You would have something if I posted that his contract and situation were exactly like Milton's. I called it "Miltonian". There are several Miltonian (crappy) contracts in baseball. Doesn't mean they are exactly the same situations as Milton. It was a mildly amusing adjective that has been used on this board many times to describe something bad, especially contracts (see: Broxton's contract).

It really wasn't intended to be scrutinized in such a pedantic manner.

Unless Partch was hurt, he should have been out there for another inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    Can we also blame Reds management for even having him in the bullpen to begin with?
    Yes. They like to have injured players sit on the bench and hope they get back in a few days...when the DL would be more prudent. They take their time moving players to the 60 day DL, that should be and can be moved there in order to get someone else on the 40 man. They like to play short...it seems a lot of times. This year...it seems the bullpen has someone who "is not right and cannot go today"

This year...Walt will actually have to make a trade or two in the middle of the year to help the team win, not just hold.

Turn Off Ads?