Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Broxton to the DL, Villarreal back up

Re: What's wrong w/ Broxton ?

We could write off Broxton's issues this year as being the result of a small sample size except "small size" and Broxton can't appear in the same sentence.

One thing to take into consideration was that Broxton was better in the 2nd half last year, IIRC, he may be a second half kinda guy.
    Last edited by klw; 06-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.

2. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (06-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I "don't have a clue." Nice attempt at a juvenile argument there. You're better than that (I hope).

Proof is in the pudding with Brox.
    If he has a torn UCL, it will have absolutely nothing to do with him being fat. And no, it was no attempt at a juvenile argument and I am not better than that. You are pretending that you know why he isn't performing based on absolutely nothing.

5. Likes:

reds44 (06-15-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    A Miltonian contract.
    now that is hyperbole

Milton was 3 years for $25.5M of 2004 dollars

What he gave the team was complete dung
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

I'm reading that Brox is seeing the doctor today. If he is hurting, it explains his subpar outings recently. It also creates a void.

One thing the Reds need to do is make sure the bullpen is healthy. If guys are pitching hurt, this could be part of the reason it hasn't been that effective.

Reds really need to focus on the bullpen and figure it out. Forget contracts, reputations, etc. Get the best and healthiest seven guys out there and let's go.

And if there aren't seven good ones, then consider Cingrani and look for outside help.

Unfortunately, Reds are in a tough division this year. Otherwise, they could be more relaxed in dealing with these situations. But it seems like most losses (and there aren't that many) involve bullpen issues.

Figure out a plan, implement it, and let's go forward, please.

8. Likes:

remdog (06-15-2013)

Apparently Broxton was scheduled to see the doctor before the last game in Chicago. Yet Dusty still used him before Chapman.

10. Likes:

m21eagle45 (06-15-2013),MBZags (06-15-2013),remdog (06-15-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Apparently Broxton was scheduled to see the doctor before the last game in Chicago. Yet Dusty still used him before Chapman.
    yikes
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

You understand the theory. Keep Chapman available on the road to nail down a lead and end the game.

You obviously don't agree, but you know the rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You understand the theory. Keep Chapman available on the road to nail down a lead and end the game.

You obviously don't agree, but you know the rationale.
    I don't understand the theory of using a pitcher who has a sore elbow that you plan on getting MRI'd when you get back before using a fully healthy pitcher.

14. Likes:

ervinsm84 (06-16-2013)

What's wrong with Broxton?

Do you mean this year, or the last several years, because there's no difference?

The signing was a desperate move because a Closer was needed, and as weak as the bullpen was going to be without Broxton, Walt felt it was necessary to secure him for the next couple of years, at least until better options can be found. As of now, predicted correctly by Walt, the REDS do not have better options.

I don't understand the theory of using a pitcher who has a sore elbow that you plan on getting MRI'd when you get back before using a fully healthy pitcher.
    Baker comes from an era where you play hurt if you're needed. Maybe he doesn't see a difference between a hurt Broxton and a healthy Broxton.

Problem really was that four relievers were used relatively briefly. Then Partch. Wanted to try and avoid multiple innings for Chap.

Didn't work out.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    now that is hyperbole
    To describe Broxton's performance and ridiculous contract as "Miltonian" is hardly hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Problem really was that four relievers were used relatively briefly. Then Partch. Wanted to try and avoid multiple innings for Chap.

Didn't work out.
    I could care less about what he did before the 14th inning. The fact is that in the 14th inning he chose to use a guy they suspected was hurt and had an MRI set up for before he used a pitcher who is 100% healthy.

That is poor management at best.

20. Likes:

ervinsm84 (06-16-2013),Falcon7 (06-17-2013),m21eagle45 (06-15-2013)

To describe Broxton's performance and ridiculous contract as "Miltonian" is hardly hyperbole.
    It's beyond hyperbole.

It kind of is, considering Milton had one of the worst years for a starting pitcher ever. Broxton, while disappointing, isn't and won't be nearly that bad.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?