Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds catching question

Reds catching question

Can Mesoraco throw well?

I'm just raising it because I don't know the answer. He threw it in the dirt on an attempted and successful steal late in the extra inning game today.

Is he the kind of catcher that other teams will run on constantly because they know there's no chance he will get them?

I notice that he is near the bottom in caught stealing percentage. But he's a new major league player, maybe it's an aberration.

Would appreciate any information folks have.

Obviously, Hanigan is superb at throwing out stealing baserunners.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Reds catching question

Yes and no. Probably not the answer you wanted.

He's got a VERY strong arm. Stronger than Hanigan's. He's got a very quick pop and release (the jump from the crouch to the throw). I don't know about in the minors (maybe Doug could comment on that part), but up in Cincy...his biggest problem is accuracy. His throws tail considerably. Hanigan had that problem earlier in the season because he was popping up and to the side and it was that slide to the side that was making his throws tail away from the target. It lasted 2 whole games, and Hanny identified the problem and fixed it (or a member of the coaching staff did). What Mesoraco's problem is, I don't know. He has sound mechanics in respect to this aspect of the game (his actual catching/blocking...not so much), so I'm not seeing anything specific as to why he's so inaccurate. Anybody?

Another difference I see, Hanigan seems to have a better feel of when a runner will go and he adjusts his receiving stance in order to prepare for the coming throw. I rarely see Devin do this. He stays square to the pitcher most of the time, Ryan will open or close his stance slightly after the signals in order to prepare his footwork for the throw. If Hanigan had Mesoraco's arm...he's be Johnny Bench back there defensively.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Mes was very upset when the guy stole second on him in the fourteenth inning today. It did turn out to be the winning run, unfortunately.

I remember reading that his defense was fairly weak in his early minor league career, then improved. Charles, thanks, your comments are interesting and I'd like to hear from others who might have additional thoughts on Mes' throwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not sure if anyone noticed, but Mes was very upset when the guy stole second on him in the fourteenth inning today. It did turn out to be the winning run, unfortunately.
    It was close too, I thought the throw was in time but the tag wasn't.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Charles, thanks, your comments are interesting and I'd like to hear from others who might have additional thoughts on Mes' throwing.
    Thanks. As would I. Especially regarding his development in the minors.

I wonder how long it will take before Mesoraco's hitting becomes too good to pass up. In the past, I think he has shown that it takes him awhile to adjust to every level, but that once he does, he flourishes with the bat. I concur that Hanigan is the better defensive catcher now, but part of that might just be experience. With Hanny (not) hitting like this, the timeline could be sped up a bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I wonder how long it will take before Mesoraco's hitting becomes too good to pass up. In the past, I think he has shown that it takes him awhile to adjust to every level, but that once he does, he flourishes with the bat. I concur that Hanigan is the better defensive catcher now, but part of that might just be experience. With Hanny (not) hitting like this, the timeline could be sped up a bit, too.
    Hard to live with a catcher who can't throw out runners. Mes is near the bottom in that dept. Matter of concern.

Hard to live with a catcher who can't throw out runners. Mes is near the bottom in that dept. Matter of concern.
    I thought he was doing that well in the minors though. I seem to remember reading awhile back that throwing was actually his strong suit -- and that what he struggled with were the finer points of framing pitches, blocking balls in the dirt, etc.

At any rate, I have been struck over the past few years how difficult it is for catchers to develop an all-around game at the major league level. Guys like Wieters and Santana have also scuffled a bit (albeit with different stuff). Only Posey seems to have arrived in the bigs as a finished product on both sides of the ball.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-14-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Mes just looks uncomfortable much of the time. Lots of extra movement and everything seems herky-jerky as opposed to liquid like the better defensive catchers. Hopefully it's still just a matter of reps before the game slows down for Mes. Getting his thumb properly under the ball and his body completely turned so the throw doesn't tail so much.

Watching great throwing catchers like IRod back in the day was/is a dream. Snapping balls all over the diamond and in any situation. The "Oh ****" look on runner's faces when they realize the ball was headed their way makes me smile every time.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

12. Likes:

smixsell (06-14-2013)

Rocco is out ops-ing Hannigan by +200 points.

Time to add another start during the week.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Mesoraco has a 28% CS rate. League average is 30%.

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (06-16-2013),smixsell (06-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Mesoraco has a 28% CS rate. League average is 30%.
    Looking over the stats chart, I don't doubt it, there are many catchers who can't throw anybody out. Buster Posey has a rate below 20% this year.

But Mes's 27.8% is still well below the better throwers. Hanigan's CS rate is .588, in a different stratosphere.

And for many catchers it's a small sample either way, the position is split on several teams.

But the question is whether Mes can throw out runners and whether it can be expected that his CS rate will improve. Or is this what he is, a good hitting prospect who is average or below throwing out runners.

I'd say Hannigan's putrid offensive numbers are an even bigger matter of concern.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Looking over the stats chart, I don't doubt it, there are many catchers who can't throw anybody out. Buster Posey has a rate below 20% this year.

But Mes's 27.8% is still well below the better throwers. Hanigan's CS rate is .588, in a different stratosphere.

And for many catchers it's a small sample either way, the position is split on several teams.

But the question is whether Mes can throw out runners and whether it can be expected that his CS rate will improve.
    Mesoraco has the arm to throw out runners at a high rate. Like every catcher, he needs pitchers to hold runners close and execute pitches when guys do run (ball in the dirt is a steal just about every time - bigger leads mean less time to throw the ball). He also needs to be more accurate with his throws at times.

Turn Off Ads?