go two,” Baker said. “But we couldn’t chance that. He was the third
    hitter the next inning"

2) After the 14-inning loss to the Cubs: "We had [Broxton] penciled as a
    no, and he said he could go one inning," Baker said. "We were trying to
    sneak him through one inning, and we were going to go to Chapman for
    two, maybe, which we really didn't want to go to."

Bottom line: In the loss to the Cards, "we were hoping Chapman could go
    two" but he only went one. In the loss to the Cubs, "we were going to
    go to Chapman for two" but he didn't pitch at all.

I don't think Dusty really believes what he is saying. He's just trying
    to fend off the critics!
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Interesting Dusty Quotes

If Chapman went through most of spring training conditioning to be a starter, why on earth is it such a big deal for him to go two innings when needed?

I don't get it.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

4. Likes:

Trajinous (06-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    If Chapman went through most of spring training conditioning to be a starter, why on earth is it such a big deal for him to go two innings when needed?

I don't get it.
    Mostly about managing rest days, even after 1 inning. It's a different world for relievers.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Yankees didn't use Rivera until A's beat him in the 18th last night.

The Red Sox didn't use Bailey (current closer) at all last night.

Red Sox and Yankees were both road teams.

Orioles used Jim Johnson in the 12th for an inning.
    A's used Balfour in the 9th for an inning.

They were both Home teams.
    I'm just posting what happened in other extra innings games yesterday.

I don't think it would've been a bad idea had we used Chapman for 1 inning yesterday. However, it's not like Dusty the only one doing this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 06-14-2013 at 07:00 AM.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (06-14-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

In extra innings on the road, there is no reason to use your closer until you have a lead unless you plan on using him more than 1 inning. Dusty preferred him only pitching one, so wasn't going to use him until he had no choice. I don't see a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    In extra innings on the road, there is no reason to use your closer until you have a lead unless you plan on using him more than 1 inning. Dusty preferred him only pitching one, so wasn't going to use him until he had no choice. I don't see a problem with that.
    It's hard for the ham 'n eggers to see that.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I read on another message board that Mariano Rivera has recorded nearly 250 outs in the 8th inning since becoming the Closer in 1997. That means he's averaged coming into the 8th inning 17 times a season.

If Chapman is coming in anyway to close the 9th, and the 8th inning reliever gets in a jam, there is no reason he can't pitch to a batter or two in the 8th.

11. Likes:

New York Red (06-14-2013),remdog (06-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I read on another message board that Mariano Rivera has recorded nearly 250 outs in the 8th inning since becoming the Closer in 1997. That means he's averaged coming into the 8th inning 17 times a season.

If Chapman is coming in anyway to close the 9th, and the 8th inning reliever gets in a jam, there is no reason he can't pitch to a batter or two in the 8th.
    I'm not going to disagree with you there. I'm just talking about the people who wanted Dusty to use him in the 13th or whatever inning.

But then again, you can throw him in the 8th and 9th and maybe 10th. Then what? Have Broxton or Hoover close out the game in case we get a lead?

For a Level Playing Field

What does Rivera have to do with Chapman? If Rivera can slam dunk a basketball while doing a backflip in the air, does this mean Chapman can do they same (see what I mean)? Unless you are around the team/Chapman 24/7 and know better than Dusty Baker. And the average times per year over a 17-year span is what I'd call VERY fuzzy math. Player X hits 56 HRs in his first year and then gets injured for the next two years and never plays... he averaged ONLY 18.6 HRs/year, right?

Message board doesn't always equal fact.

Also, if true then that statement would be true only if Rivera got one out in each of those 8th innings. If he got 3 outs in each of those 8th innings, then you are down to what, 5 or 6 times?

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    What does Rivera have to do with Chapman? If Rivera can slam dunk a basketball while doing a backflip in the air, does this mean Chapman can do they same (see what I mean)? Unless you are around the team/Chapman 24/7 and know better than Dusty Baker. And the average times per year over a 17-year span is what I'd call VERY fuzzy math. Player X hits 56 HRs in his first year and then gets injured for the next two years and never plays... he averaged ONLY 18.6 HRs/year, right?
    I think I speak for everyone when I say HUH?

Rivera and Chapman are..............both..............CLOSERS.

Fuzzy math? 250 outs divided by 15 seasons = 16.6666667. (1997-2011, he was hurt last season)

Your basketball analogy is another headscratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

But then again, you can throw him in the 8th and 9th and maybe 10th. Then what? Have Broxton or Hoover close out the game in case we get a lead?
    YES, that is precisely what you do. Or you could save Chapman for the lead you never get.
    Last edited by HUHUH; 06-14-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Message board doesn't always equal fact.

Also, if true then that statement would be true only if Rivera got one out in each of those 8th innings. If he got 3 outs in each of those 8th innings, then you are down to what, 5 or 6 times?
    According to www.baseball-reference.com

In his career, Rivera has faced 505 batters in the 8th inning.

Subtracting out '95 and '96, two seasons he wasn't the Closer, he faced 199 batters in the 8th inning as a setup man.

505-199=306

Rivera has faced 306 batters in the 8th inning from '97 until now.

I think I speak for everyone when I say HUH?

Rivera and Chapman are..............both..............CLOSERS.

Fuzzy math? 250 outs divided by 15 seasons = 16.6666667. (1997-2011, he was hurt last season)

Your basketball analogy is another headscratcher.
    He has 157 appearances in the 8th inning from 1997 to today, divided by 15.3, you are looking at 10ish per year.

Aroldis pitched in the 8th inning 17 times last year. So obviously Dusty isn't frightened of the notion of throwing the guy in the 8th. Maybe there is more to it.

Turn Off Ads?