Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Dusty Quotes

Re: Interesting Dusty Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I doubt he walks the tying run with one out.
    Forget the walk. Bases are loaded. One out in the 8th. Left handed high OBP and SLG guy, Marshall and the rest of the pen healthy and rested.

Dusty brings in Chapman.

It goes against his role

It goes against the plan.

Is Dusty wrong to do it?
    Last edited by Raisor; 06-14-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    But in this case he does
    No he wouldn't. He would play the infield back and take an out wherever he got it. There would be 0 chance he walks the hitter intentionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    No he wouldn't. He would play the infield back and take an out wherever he got it. There would be 0 chance he walks the hitter intentionally.
    Missing the forest for the leaves here.

Forget how the bases get loaded. They just are

In June with Marshall healthy? I'm not bringing Chapman in for a 5 out save. If it was the playoffs? I would consider it, but I think I would still bring in Marshall.

If it's the playoffs and the Reds bullpen is how it is right now? I bring in Chapman.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    In June with Marshall healthy? I'm not bringing Chapman in for a 5 out save. If it was the playoffs? I would consider it, but I think I would still bring in Marshall.

If it's the playoffs and the Reds bullpen is how it is right now? I bring in Chapman.
    Dusty considered bringing in Chapman in the 8th twice in the past couple of weeks. Was he wrong to do this?

Missing the forest for the leaves here.

Forget how the bases get loaded. They just are
    In a larger context I think many here are doing that, all this focus on the 14th inning when 8 innings of the other side of the Reds game failed miserably, and the opponents they were against( Cubs relief) were even more vulnerable than their offensive was formidable.

This is weak:

Code:
    Top 7th: Cincinnati

- T. Frazier flied out to left
    - X. Paul flied out to center
    - D. Mesoraco walked
    - J. Hannahan hit for M. Latos
    - D. Mesoraco out at second

Top 8th: Cincinnati

- J. Hannahan struck out swinging
    - S. Choo grounded out to second
    - Z. Cozart flied out to shallow center

Top 9th: Cincinnati

- J. Votto grounded out to second
    - B. Phillips struck out swinging
    - J. Bruce struck out swinging

Top 10th: Cincinnati

- D. Robinson hit for J.J. Hoover
    - D. Robinson struck out swinging
    - X. Paul struck out swinging
    - D. Mesoraco singled to shallow left center
    - J. Hannahan struck out looking

Top 11th: Cincinnati

- S. Choo struck out looking
    - Z. Cozart flied out to right center
    - J. Votto struck out swinging

Top 12th: Cincinnati
    - B. Phillips flied out to right
    - J. Bruce singled to shallow center
    - C. Partch grounded into fielder's choice, J. Bruce out at second

Top 13th: Cincinnati

- C. Ransom at third
    - D. Mesoraco grounded out to third
    - J. Hannahan struck out looking
    - S. Choo grounded out to second

Top 14th: Cincinnati
    - Z. Cozart safe at first on shortstop S. Castro's throwing error
    - J. Votto struck out swinging
    - B. Phillips struck out swinging
    - J. Bruce singled to shallow right, Z. Cozart to third
    - J. Bruce stole second
    4 base runners in 8 innings, same two guys, what makes everyone so convinced that if Dusty did exactly what they think he should have done that the Reds could even win with that sort of weak approach at the plate?

Dusty considered bringing in Chapman in the 8th twice in the past couple of weeks. Was he wrong to do this?
    For considering it? No. Although I'm not so sure he actually considered it as much as he was trying to appease the fans/media.

If he starts treating games in June like games in October, he'd be wrong. If he did once or twice in a season? I wouldn't have a big issue with it.

WOY they had a two run lead going into the 8th didn't they? They had scored 5 runs, which is higher than their average.

If you have a two run lead and have scored higher than your average, I'm sorry, but it isn't the offense.

If the offense has to score 7 runs to win, might as well write off the season.

WOY they had a two run lead going into the 8th didn't they? They had scored 5 runs, which is higher than their average.

If you have a two run lead and have scored higher than your average, I'm sorry, but it isn't the offense.

If the offense has to score 7 runs to win, might as well write off the season.
    I think the thread should be about LeCure, he couldn't plow through the memorable sluggers Valbuena, Castillo and Barney, a trifecta of suck that only apparently Chapman can handle.

If no one in the BP can get those three guys out except Chapman then the Reds are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I think the thread should be about LeCure, he couldn't plow through the memorable sluggers Valbuena, Castillo and Barney, a trifecta of suck that only apparently Chapman can handle.

If no one in the BP can get those three guys out except Chapman then the Reds are in trouble.
    LeCure has something to tweet about that.

Yep, guys got to pitch better. Doesn't mean that management can't manage better too.

Yep, guys got to pitch better. Doesn't mean that management can't manage better too.
    Here's my problem with stating it's a management issue. 1) The lead was 1 going into the 8th. 2) If you're suggesting Chapman should have been used there, you're suggesting he should be used for basically every 8th inning. 1st and 2nd with Darwin Barney at the dish is simply not something you should need your closer for. If it's Castro or Rizzo or even Soriano, then I'll agree with you. But if it's a .200 hitter with no pop, that's a guy you simply need your set up man to get out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Here's my problem with stating it's a management issue. 1) The lead was 1 going into the 8th. 2) If you're suggesting Chapman should have been used there, you're suggesting he should be used for basically every 8th inning. 1st and 2nd with Darwin Barney at the dish is simply not something you should need your closer for. If it's Castro or Rizzo or even Soriano, then I'll agree with you. But if it's a .200 hitter with no pop, that's a guy you simply need your set up man to get out.
    I'm not necessarily saying anything about last night. Dusty has used Chapman exactly once in the 8th inning this year.

I'm not saying it should be a regular thing. I am saying that there are times when it should be done.

I'm not necessarily saying anything about last night. Dusty has used Chapman exactly once in the 8th inning this year.

I'm not saying it should be a regular thing. I am saying that there are times when it should be done.
    Well there's a time one should wear pants or not wear pants, I'm not saying now is the time we should talk about wearing pants, or even yesterday, but there are times that one should wear them and times one should not, but we should talk about the factors involved in decisions about wearing pants

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well there's a time one should wear pants or not wear pants, I'm not saying now is the time we should talk about wearing pants, or even yesterday, but there are times that one should wear them and times one should not, but we should talk about the factors involved in decisions about wearing pants
    As the summer gets hotter, and the season gets longer, it seems even Dusty is thinking about wearing pants. Or at least he's talking about it at press conferences.

Turn Off Ads?