Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Dusty Quotes

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Interesting Dusty Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Or at least come in to kill a rally with maybe an out or two already down in the 8th. If he pitches an inning and a third, and throws 25 pitches, how is that any different than just pitching the 9th and throwing a similar number of pitches?
    Tremendously different if you've ever pitched. That cool down period in between innings. That's the difference.

Have you ever noticed that during a rain delay, quite often the previous pitcher is removed for a new one? This is why. It's hell on a pitcher's arm to warm up, throw full tilt, cool off completely, then go right back at it. It's also why it's an extremely bad idea to warm up a relief pitcher unless you intend to use them. Those warm-up throws also count as bullets in the gun too.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 06-14-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Except he keeps mentioning that he keeps considering it.

I think Dusty is warring with himself.
    I would think this is pretty much every manager every night. The decisions they make aren't as cut and dry as many make them out to be. The human-side of the equation factors heavily into those decisions.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Except he keeps mentioning that he keeps considering it.
    I said he'd like to avoid it.

He'll do it if he feels he has to (like last night, he would have gone 2 innings with Chapman if he had to). I expect if it gets later in the year, he'll do it in an important game.

He keeps saying he will do it....but he never seems to want to actually do it and then warms him up for basically nothing. You're going to have to either use him in a tie game for at least an inning or keep wasting your time warming him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Well......I have a very high IQ, graduated near the top of my high school class, had a full ride scholarship to Vanderbilt, have my own company..................and your analogy still makes little sense to me.
    I'm not sure why you couldn't comprehend his analogy.

Suggesting that any relief pitcher should be able to do what Mariano Rivera can do won't get you very far. He's likely the greatest relief pitcher who ever pitched.

The analogy presented was simply saying that every player is different than another.

7. Likes:

Always Red (06-14-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I have a question. Why is it that fans always want closers to pitch in the high leverage situations in the 7th or 8th instead of just the 9th? My point is why not a high leverage situation in the 3rd or the 5th? The big inning that decides a game isn't always a late inning, right? And how is anyone, mainly the manager, supposed to know when the highest leverage situation is going to be? If you get a critical situation in the 7th and use Aroldis...who's to say there won't be an even BIGGER problem in the 8th or 9th?

I think that having designated roles, while frustrating for the fans, does make it easier on the players and managers and allows them to prepare properly for each game. It also lessens the wear and tear on a guy's arm. People look at the number of appearances, innings pitched or even the number of pitches thrown...but the number of warm-up pitches and the number of times he's gotten up and down in a game or gotten up only to not enter the game...those things are JUST as important if not MORE important to the health of a pitcher and the effectiveness of a pitcher. Heck, to the SANITY of a pitcher too. :O) Set roles are NOT a bad thing.

Totally serious question:

Let's say that the bullpen is 100% healthy, everyone is sharp, and everyone is rested.

Reds are up by two runs. Lets say the starter gets in to the 8th and gets into trouble. One out runners on third and second. Dusty decides to walk the next guy to set up the double play.

Left handed high OBP and SLG hitter up. Marshall is available. Dusty brings in Chapman.

Are you upset with Dusty?

I enjoy the autonomy of the Dusty Baker regime, he obviously takes all the heat and thus must be the one who makes all the decisions without consulting the numerous paid professionals that surround him. He evidently feels no fear and has an IQ that could get HIM into Vanderbilt.

10. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (06-14-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Reds are up by two runs. Lets say the starter gets in to the 8th and gets into trouble. One out runners on third and second. Dusty decides to walk the next guy to set up the double play.?
    I want to tear Dusty's head off... for putting the go-ahead run on base with an IBB!

12. Likes:

PuffyPig (06-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I enjoy the autonomy of the Dusty Baker regime, he obviously takes all the heat and thus must be the one who makes all the decisions without consulting the numerous paid professionals that surround him. He evidently feels no fear and has an IQ that could get HIM into Vanderbilt.
    Just like the president, for on field situations, the buck stops here.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn can make recommendations, but President Bartlett has the responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I have a question. Why is it that fans always want closers to pitch in the high leverage situations in the 7th or 8th instead of just the 9th? My point is why not a high leverage situation in the 3rd or the 5th?
    It's because of how leverage works: it's the balance of known vs. unknown outcomes and the importance of the unknown, what's left to happen. Leverage is essentially the likelihood that the next run(s) will change the outcome of the game. Thus, it is a combination of three things:

1) Game score: If you're up 10, the next run is almost irrelevant. If you're tied, it's huge.

2) What's the likelihood of run(s) scoring given the current base/out situation and place in the lineup. (If you want to/ if it's easier, you can roll this in to #1 using an average run expediency model. That is, if you're up 3 but the team is in a base/out situation in which 1.2 runs score on average, you could consider yourself only up 1.8 runs.

3) Inning: How much time is left for you to make up the difference on offense? Let's assume you're the home team. If you give up a few runs and lose the lead in the top of the 3rd inning, your team has 21 outs to play with on offense to make it up. In the 5th inning, you have 15 outs left. In the 8th, you have 6. In the 9th, you have just 3. If you're the visiting team, subtract 3 from each of those. Give up the lead in the 9th as a visiting team and it's game over.

So let's say you have bases loaded with the cleanup hitter up in the 4th inning. It's obviously a huge situation. But even if the worst happens, the game isn't over. There's still time to come back. And if your team averages 4.5 runs a game, that's an average of .5 runs per inning. You've got 6 innings of offense left, which on average equals 3 runs for your team. So yes, the event hurt your team's chances of winning. But because there's still time, it didn't hurt your chances nearly as much as it would have had it happened in the 7th or 8th. Obviously the expected runs your offense will score is affected by things like quality of opponent, strength of their bullpen, etc. -- but you adjust for those. Managers do this all the time on offense, using more strategies against really tough pitchers that increase likelihood of a single run scoring at the expense of a possible crooked number because they anticipate a low scoring game and see there being less likelihood of accomplishing that crooked number. They also do it based on their starter. You feel like you only need to give your ace a small lead where you might know your back-end guy is going to need more support.

That's the gist of it. Then you factor in things like not wanting to have your bullpen pitch 6 innings of relief (because having to use your 5th or 6th reliever hurts your chances too) and you can see how it starts to shake out.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-14-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

16. Likes:

dfs (06-14-2013),ervinsm84 (06-14-2013),mth123 (06-15-2013),Raisor (06-14-2013)

Let's say that the bullpen is 100% healthy, everyone is sharp, and everyone is rested.

Reds are up by two runs. Lets say the starter gets in to the 8th and gets into trouble. One out runners on third and second. Dusty decides to walk the next guy to set up the double play.

Left handed high OBP and SLG hitter up. Marshall is available. Dusty brings in Chapman.

Are you upset with Dusty?
    Not enough information.

Is it the last game of the year, and winner makes the playoffs?

Or are we up by 5 games with 10 to play against the Brewers?

But in reality, Dustly wouldn't have walked the batter, and if it was an exceptionally important game, Chapman would likely be brought in to get the K.

Lets say its a three run lead next week

Lets say its a three run lead next week
    I doubt he walks the tying run with one out.

He wouldn't walk the tying run on base and bring the potentail winning run to the plate.

And i'm not bringing Chapman in for a 5 out save in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?