Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why in the world do people say that Choo doesn't hit well against lefty?

Re: Why in the world do people say that Choo doesn't hit well against lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Ah..Old School...thanks for that. And if we agreed all the time we'd be very boring discussion partners
    Agreed!

2. Likes:

RedlegJake (06-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Choo doesn't seem to hit well against anyone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Every front office in baseball has a sabermetric department. Every last one of them. But hey, they don't know what they are talking about.
    I would say that is more for contract negotiations rather than meaningful talent assessment and or daily line up changes.

Don Cameron
    50 ways to post

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cameron View Post
    I would say that is more for contract negotiations rather than meaningful talent assessment and or daily line up changes.

Don Cameron
    50 ways to post
    I disagree completely.

7. Likes:

MBZags (06-24-2013)

I guess it is ONE base metric to evaluate talent, but when I read Moneyball, it seemed to me that the crux was to find players that performed like a veteran player (ideally knowing hoe to play the game) and not relying on the five tool Beane-esque players, because the A's could not afford the free agents. In the end, what made Beane a genius was Hudson, Mulder, Zito along with Tejada and Giambi. What made Epstein successful was Schilling, Martinez then Beckett and ManRam + Big Papi. Any manager will have success with those players. Epstein and Beane did not win championships because Scott Hatteberg and Kevin Youkilis.

Don Cameron
    Kiss the ring

Every organization is more or less heavily vested in sabermetrics but all of them use pretty advanced stuff today as part of their programs. They'd be incredibly stupid not to leverage the power of computers. Now, the extent of that verses scout and coaches inputs varies a lot. Even managers vary widely from guys who get pre game reports then use stat guys to spot check hunches and matchups to darn near actuarial like managers who run games with a bunch of numbers and guys who toss it out for a complete reverse strategem on occasion. I think there's little doubt tho every organization uses numbers for a lot more than just arbitration negotiations. Moneyball was about identifying undervalued yet effective skillsets and using the cost advantage to compete. It didn't mean you still didn't have toolsy players or stars in your core.

Choo gets a clutch hit against a Lefty!

11. Likes:

Pacman Fever (07-04-2013)

A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Choo is a great hitter, but he has yet to prove much against lefties.

IMO he's trying too hard to hit for power. Notice how they were playing him to hit the ball the other way when he finally pulled one to win it. Against lefties he's constantly trying to drive the ball to left. It results in a lot of soft ground balls.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cameron View Post
    I guess it is ONE base metric to evaluate talent, but when I read Moneyball, it seemed to me that the crux was to find players that performed like a veteran player (ideally knowing hoe to play the game) and not relying on the five tool Beane-esque players, because the A's could not afford the free agents. In the end, what made Beane a genius was Hudson, Mulder, Zito along with Tejada and Giambi. What made Epstein successful was Schilling, Martinez then Beckett and ManRam + Big Papi. Any manager will have success with those players. Epstein and Beane did not win championships because Scott Hatteberg and Kevin Youkilis.

Don Cameron
    Kiss the ring
    Moneyball is not sabermetrics.

No team is going to win without superstars or at least guys who play like superstars in a given year. You can't win without those guys. If you have a team full of league average guys, you are going to in 80 games. You need stars. Most teams have one. The real good teams have multiple ones.

Turn Off Ads?