Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Posting

Double Posting

I think we all know that there's a problem with double posting around here. My experience is that on most other sites there is a mechanism that kicks in that prevents a lot of this. It'll say something like "the administrator prevents posting within 30 secs; please wait to re-post". Why can't we have something like this here?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Double Posting

I've noticed everytime I have double or triple posted, I was on my cellphone with a crummy connection. Not sure if coincidence or cause, but it's held true with 100% accuracy so far.

Must be a slow day at work

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I've noticed everytime I have double or triple posted, I was on my cellphone with a crummy connection. Not sure if coincidence or cause, but it's held true with 100% accuracy so far.
    Interesting and I think you are on to something... I have NEVER had a double-post (knock on wood lol). But I always post from the standard laptop w/ good connectivity whether from home or work.

Someone had the rare quintuple post. That might just be a record for the Guiness Book.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Someone had the rare quintuple post. That might just be a record for the Guiness Book.
    The RedsZone version of the Golden Sombrero!!

My double (and triple) posts today were on my desktop computer. I noticed they happened all around the same time - a little after 9 a.m. EDT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

They call me "chef"

Some people's opinions are worth more than one post. RedsZone's internal code is simply acknowledging this.

10. Likes:

MBZags (06-18-2013),RedEye (06-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (06-19-2013),Tom Servo (06-18-2013)

I don't have a substantive answer on whether a time limit could be imposed. Boss will likely have an answer for you.

But if you inadvertently post multiple times or see it somewhere on the forum, you can report it and we'll take care of it.

I will double check, but I know I have previously looked into this and was surprised to find the anti double posting option(s) was on. I acknowledge there is a problem, and it's annoying for the moderators, too, because we need to delete them.

I definitely think some of the problem is tied to the occasional site sluggishness and/or outages we infrequently see, but I also think some may be inadvertent on the user's part (particularly on mobile devices). I will see what I can find out.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

How about a way for a poster to delete a post within a time limit of posting? Say 1 minute after a post is made you can delete the entire thing instead of just edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I will double check, but I know I have previously looked into this and was surprised to find the anti double posting option(s) was on. I acknowledge there is a problem, and it's annoying for the moderators, too, because we need to delete them.

I definitely think some of the problem is tied to the occasional site sluggishness and/or outages we infrequently see, but I also think some may be inadvertent on the user's part (particularly on mobile devices). I will see what I can find out.
    I just got a message saying that postings cannot be made in a 15 sec interval. That saved a double post for me. I've seen 30 and 45 sec on other sites. I don't know if this is something that would address the problem or not but the 15 sec thing was a start. I guess you don't want to screw up the game threads which lends itself to short interval postings

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I just got a message saying that postings cannot be made in a 15 sec interval. That saved a double post for me. I've seen 30 and 45 sec on other sites. I don't know if this is something that would address the problem or not but the 15 sec thing was a start. I guess you don't want to screw up the game threads which lends itself to short interval postings
    Good catch - I've changed this to 30 seconds, which was the default. I'm not sure why I ever would have changed it in the first place (I suspect due to the reason you mentioned), but let's see how this does. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    How about a way for a poster to delete a post within a time limit of posting? Say 1 minute after a post is made you can delete the entire thing instead of just edit.
    This is a good idea, but unless I'm missing something, deleting access appears to be an all or nothing option.

I've seen on other VB sites a warning that says "this is a copy of a post you have made within this thread within the last 5 minutes." I don't know where at boss, but it's buried somewhere I guess.

Turn Off Ads?