Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Gregg Makes Sense

I wonder what it would take to get Casey Janssen from Toronto?

Here's his current deal per Rotoworld

2/13/2012: Signed a two-year, $5.9 million contract with a $4 million option for 2014. 2013: $3.9 million, 2014: $4 million club option

Just blew his first save on the 8th. 31 years young

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kevin Gregg Makes Sense

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Arquimedez Pozo- two first names

Well if Arquimedez can be a first name, so can Pozo.
    Wasn't Pozo a character in "Waiting For Godot"?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Gregg has a very Rheal Cormier feel to him. He's giving up more fly balls as opposed to Ground Balls this year which has driven down his BABIP but has a pretty low HR/FB ratio. It's not all a mirage, his K's are up and his walks are down, but in Cincy, as the summer heats up, those Fly Balls are going to carry out of the park. If he goes back to more grounders, his BABIP will probably go up (though Votto, Phillips, Cozart and Frazier would probably help compared to having a DH like Starlin Castro playing SS behind him). Of course changing his mix to get more grounders may result in the guy who had fewer Ks and more BBs as well. Even if he continues as a fly ball buy, his BABIP is probably going up. He wouldn't be worthless. If Broxton is hurt, I'd rather have Gregg than Ondrusek, but Cingrani would be a better addition and getting another lefty may be preferrable.

If Gregg could be had on the cheap for a suspect like say Denis Phipps or Kyle Lotzkar, he'd be worth a pick-up, but if Marshall comes back, Cingrani moves to the pen and the rest are healthy (which means Broxton stabilizes) I'm not sure there would be room for him. Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, Lecure, Cingrani, Simon would be a decent 7 man pen and unless Hoover continues to struggle and needs some time in AAA, I'm not sure Gregg would be one of the best 7. If Broxton needs to go on the DL, I wouldn't mind Gregg on the cheap in a middle inning role but would prefer a more dominating late inning type. If Cingrani is needed in the rotation or Marshall is out, I'd be after a lefty instead.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-15-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I wonder what it would take to get Casey Janssen from Toronto?

Here's his current deal per Rotoworld

2/13/2012: Signed a two-year, $5.9 million contract with a $4 million option for 2014. 2013: $3.9 million, 2014: $4 million club option

Just blew his first save on the 8th. 31 years young

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I'd he can leave his balky shoulder back in Canada, then I am game.

I've never heard Gregg speak nor have I read anything he's written so I don't know if he makes sense.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

7. Likes:

Big Klu (06-15-2013)

Reds currently have the second best record I'm the league, and should sail to the playoffs with the consistent stellar starting pitching, and the hitting of Bruce, JV, Choo and Phillips. Plenty of time to get the pen figured out, and getting a healthy Marshall back changes everything.
    The grind of a long season can mean stretches of poor bullpen performances, as was seen with the nasty boys and in 99.
    I am looking to October, and having the Reds ready for a short series, which they haven't been since 90.
    Marshall, Cingrani, Chapman.....just need one other hammer to emerge.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    With the Cubs out of contention already, having Kevin gregg as a closer is meaningless. Could we get him for a decent prospect as he makes next to nothing.
    Btw...this is EXACTLY what the Cubs are hoping for. They WANT to dump the older vets for prospects. That's their plan. Personally, I don't want to help them achieve their goals. Especially when they'll come back to bite us in the you-know-what.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Gregg makes the most sense if you think there is a correlation between closer effectiveness and the number of Gs in a last name. Otherwise, I pass.

11. Likes:

VR (06-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Btw...this is EXACTLY what the Cubs are hoping for. They WANT to dump the older vets for prospects. That's their plan. Personally, I don't want to help them achieve their goals. Especially when they'll come back to bite us in the you-know-what.
    I agree with this. I in no way want to help Theo build a team in our division...especially with the Cubs payroll at his disposal.

Turn Off Ads?