Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things NOT to love in the great game of baseball

Things NOT to love in the great game of baseball

First, let me say that Brandon Phillips is one of favorite players. Love his defense, as well as his bat. However, in the 2nd inning that just ended without the Reds scoring - he did what I hate more than ANYTHING in the game - on a groundball to SS, he didn't hustle down the line, even jogged for a couple of steps, before realizing that the ball had been bobbled. Had he hustled as anyone playing the game should (not to mention a very highly paid professional), he would have been safe - and with what happened with the ensuing at-bats, the Reds would've scored. Love BP, but in my book, that is inexcusable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things NOT to love in the great game of baseball

Now that I am 'almost' through lamenting today's loss, and seeing how this post has many views, yet no replies, I would like to add to some things that I do NOT like about our great game (not being sour or anything, just being a fan - alot of these things can be paralelled with other sports - like golf, where certain rules seem stupid to me). So, here are a couple of other things that bug me when it comes to the rules, and I hope that some would share theirs, and/or agree or disagree with mine.

Just a couple for starters: 1) a reliever comes in with a one run lead, man on third, two outs. He gets the batter to either hit a routine ground ball or fly, and the fielder botches it - an error - and the tying run scores. The reliever is now credited with a blown save (even though he 'essentially' did his job - yes, I realize that, technically he didn't b/c the run scored, but it was not of his doing - he got the hitter to do what he wanted and the fielder blew it). This does not seem right. 2) A pop foul or foul out on an fly ball, if dropped, is not scored an error. Why not if it is an easy play? In my opinion, it should be. If a runner is allowed to tag up on such a batted ball, then it must be incumbent upon the fielder to catch it unless he chooses not to. And if he chooses to, it should be an error if it is an easy play to make.

I was kinda fumed as well, seeing DatDude not husteling. Thats one of the first things you learn.

Another thing of which we saw a "great example" these days in the DīBacks-Dodgers game, is retaliation pitches in the wrong area. In my opinion it is completely OK to drill someone under certain circumstances. Been there, seen that. Thats baseball. But you never throw at people with the risk of seriously injuring someone. Never throw at the knee. Never throw at an ellbow. And NEVER EVER! try to hit someone in the head. In my opinion Ian Kennedy was lucky to get suspended for just 10 games. If i was the commish Mr.Kennedy would have gotten a suspension of 5 starts. Risking someones life does not belong to baseball.

BP has always had moments of not hustling or just drifting off mentally. Usually very small moments compared to his overall intensity. When it happens I just shake my head and call it small payment for clutch hits or mind boggling plays he produces far, far more often. But yes, it is grating.

Why isn't there an "advanced runners pct"? Hitting the ball to the right side to move a man over...a walk with a man on first...of course any hit...a quality bunt.

The "de-characterization of baseball" and all pro sports really. More Brad Lesleys and fewer "act professional" clones please.

EMAW

Trade him straight up for Adam Rosales, that boy hustles on all his ground outs

7. Likes:

MBZags (06-16-2013)

I wasn't thrilled with that either, but it happens. Joey Votto is my favorite Reds player in a long time, but there have many instances of him not hustling out ground balls.

9. Likes:

RedlegJake (06-16-2013)

Batters stepping out of the box, and pitchers taking forever to throw a pitch. Combined they are taking considerably longer per pitch than 25 to 30 years ago.

11. Likes:

George Anderson (06-19-2013)

Managers that use rigid roles for the bullpen. Example, a pitcher comes in the seventh or eighth, makes all three batters look poor on 7 or 8 total pitches, then comes out because he is not the setup man or closer.

13. Likes:

Beltway (06-21-2013)

Double plays with no one out on a first pitch fastball

Four hour games,when I have to get up at 5:30am. Also, I not crazy about the knock down wars that go on between some teams, like the Reds and Pirates.

MLB reluctance to adopt new rules or technology that can assist with umpiring/bad calls. You don't have to review every play..... Limit the number of protests a manager can use.

Bad fans. I don't mean competitive fan bases that trade jabs... I mean the truly awful baseball fans that should be dumped by their teams.... Like the Philly fan that vomits on little girls... The fact that you can't wear opposing team garb in some stadiums without risking endless harassment or worse......

Or the folks that cant see past their teams bad performances or other teams good performances. For instance... The Cards loss to Cubs yesterday.... Did not happen because their bats were slumping.... It's because Smarj pitched better than Waino... The Cubs capitalized on Waino mistakes early in the game.... After those initial runs, both pitchers practically locked down their games.

17. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
    MLB reluctance to adopt new rules or technology that can assist with umpiring/bad calls. You don't have to review every play..... Limit the number of protests a manager can use.
    This for sure. Although it aggravates me even more when the play is reviewed and the umpires refuse to turn the call over (even with conclusive evidence that they were wrong - such as Rosales's home run earlier this year http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1339227).

Umpires need to adapt to this new technology that might slow down the game occasionally, but can also prevent incorrect rulings like this that could have led to the opposite team winning. It should at least bring us closer to the truth.

I guess I can forgive the occasional non-hustle.
    These guys play a lot of games. It gets routine. Over the course of the year, they hit a lot of routine ground balls. Maybe once or twice a year, they could hustle and beat it out on an error.

I guess I have to admit that I'm not always 100% focused at my job either.
    Luckily, my job is not televised on TV
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

20. Likes:

dwyerbrg (07-02-2013)

I understand with a long season and the possibility of injury for hustling, but when you player for a city who has Pete Rose as an idol (the player not the man today). You would think that players would want to hustle more even on walks and routine grounders. Pete Rose was known as Charlie Hustle for a reason and I think player on today's roster should be more exposed how the Big Red Machine performed everyday.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

22. Likes:

remdog (07-29-2013)

When everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Aka the Reds of the past couple weeks.

Except for that win against Grilli and the Pirates, that was definitely something to love.

Turn Off Ads?