Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto: where's his head lately?

Votto: where's his head lately?

He's obviously a great player. Lately, however, he just hasn't been sharp...yes, at the plate, but even more so in the field and on the bases. Today's game vs. Milwaukee is case in point:

• Picked off of first in the first inning
    • the base hit by Yovani Gallardo, he made a very poor attempt at the ball...that ball is snagged by most MLB 1B.

Over the past week or so we've seen him drop an easy pop up and a few games ago he dropped a couple for fairly routine throws to first base.

All the while, he's hitting .229 so far in June. So it's not just his lapses on the field and on the bases, his hitting is suffering, too. So, to me, it begs the question...Where's his head at right now?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Small sample size?

Biorhythms?
    Randomness ?

Life?

Re: Votto: where's his head lately?

His significant other put his personal fancy coffee stash in the Reds wives and girlfriend basket raffle?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

5. Likes:

malcontent (06-15-2013),reds44 (06-16-2013),Superdude (06-15-2013)

And just as I finish typing the initial post, he TAKES strike three in the third inning...

The "what's wrong with Votto" threads are always my favorite. I know that no sooner then one appears Joey will promptly begin destroying MLB pitching.

I certainly don't blame ya for starting the thread because it does seem like Joey's been in a bit of a funk the last few weeks but that's only because contrary to popular beliefe he's only human. He'll be fine.

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-15-2013),WildcatFan (06-16-2013)

Pretty sick at this point of threads questioning Votto's skill as a player. His head is just fine. Dude has a .950 OPS when he is slumping. Baseball is hard.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

10. Likes:

MikeThierry (06-16-2013),The Operator (06-16-2013),Tom Servo (06-15-2013),wolfboy (06-15-2013)

I didn't question his OPS. Didn't question his skill either.

Asked where his head is. Dude leads the NL in errors by a 1B. He's 11th in range factor.

OF COURSE he will begin destroying pitching again soon. But in the meantime he's making bonehead plays in the field and on the bases. And when I bring it up, I get piled on for questioning his skill. Dude is in a funk. I think everyone would agree on that. I'm asking if anyone has an idea as to why.

Again, never said the guy couldn't hit. But for all the praise he receives as a defensive whiz at 1B, he sure hasn't displayed that at all lately.

12. Likes:

mth123 (06-16-2013),remdog (06-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Pretty sick at this point of threads questioning Votto's skill as a player. His head is just fine. Dude has a .950 OPS when he is slumping. Baseball is hard.
    I have no worries about his skills, at all. He baserunning gaffes are what have me worried.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

"So Fla Red"

Not Joey's best week on the diamond that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post

Asked where his head is. Dude leads the NL in errors by a 1B. He's 11th in range factor.

OF COURSE he will begin destroying pitching again soon. But in the meantime he's making bonehead plays in the field and on the bases. And when I bring it up, I get piled on for questioning his skill. Dude is in a funk. I think everyone would agree on that. I'm asking if anyone has an idea as to why.

Again, never said the guy couldn't hit. But for all the praise he receives as a defensive whiz at 1B, he sure hasn't displayed that at all lately.
    lol! Don't you know that you are NEVER to doubt Joey Votto on anything? Now, any other player is fair game. Folks can complain about any other player, coach, and especially the manager, if they have one bad game. But you are not allowed to question the fact that Votto has been in a funk that has lasted several games.

I am in 100% agreement with you, btw.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

16. Likes:

max venable (06-15-2013),MBZags (06-15-2013)

The OP is spot on. Joey has been off his game mentally. I thought yesterday's off day would help. I'm sure he'll get it together.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Always Red (06-15-2013),max venable (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I have no worries about his skills, at all. He baserunning gaffes are what have me worried.
    Why? Is he not allowed to make a mistake from time to time? In high school, I was amazing at Mario Bros, but even I would miss some coins from time to time.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

20. Likes:

Cursh14 (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    lol! Don't you know that you are NEVER to doubt Joey Votto on anything? Now, any other player is fair game. Folks can complain about any other player, coach, and especially the manager, if they have one bad game. But you are not allowed to question the fact that Votto has been in a funk that has lasted several games.

I am in 100% agreement with you, btw.
    This makes no sense and it isn't at all what folks are arguing.

I noticed he started doing the sunflower seed thing. He did that to show he does things us mere mortals do.

He'll be all right. I've learned not to doubt Votto. No player goes without funks. Like someone said, it's a really hard game to play.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post

Asked where his head is.
    Okay, so you're asking a question that cannot be answered.

Turn Off Ads?