Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto: where's his head lately?

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Re: Votto: where's his head lately?

From the "Ask a Stupid Question, Get a Stupid Answer" File....

TOP TEN PLACES JOEY VOTTO'S HEAD HAS BEEN LATELY

10. Not thinking hard enough about RBI, obviously

9. As a native Canadian, he's obligated to care about the Stanley Cup, wasting valuable brain cells not wasted by opposing red-blooded Americans

8. Being photoshopped into fangraphs articles that were funny in theory, but disappointing in execution

7. Wait, so this means we're officially done worrying about his knee?

6. "If one of the things I get paid to do is having the coolest walk-up music on the team, then man alive, I hope they trade Frazier soon!"

5. Quietly pitying anyone who pays less than $7 for a cup of coffee

4. Scanning the other dugout, trying to determine which Cub will get a token All Star selection and how best to snub him this year

3. Having an impossible time deciding if Edward Snowden is a Hero, or just some guy who did what it took to get away from his girlfriend who is a really hot stripper, but who also seems like a giant load

2. Per your request, putting 110% of his concentration into not screaming "F*%K" at the top of his lungs

1. Attached to his neck

2. Likes:

foxfire123 (06-16-2013),HeatherC1212 (06-17-2013),RedsManRick (06-16-2013),Superdude (06-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    From the "Ask a Stupid Question, Get a Stupid Answer" File....

TOP TEN PLACES JOEY VOTTO'S HEAD HAS BEEN LATELY

10. Not thinking hard enough about RBI, obviously

9. As a native Canadian, he's obligated to care about the Stanley Cup, wasting valuable brain cells not wasted by opposing red-blooded Americans

8. Being photoshopped into fangraphs articles that were funny in theory, but disappointing in execution

7. Wait, so this means we're officially done worrying about his knee?

6. "If one of the things I get paid to do is having the coolest walk-up music on the team, then man alive, I hope they trade Frazier soon!"

5. Quietly pitying anyone who pays less than $7 for a cup of coffee

4. Scanning the other dugout, trying to determine which Cub will get a token All Star selection and how best to snub him this year

3. Having an impossible time deciding if Edward Snowden is a Hero, or just some guy who did what it took to get away from his girlfriend who is a really hot stripper, but who also seems like a giant load

2. Per your request, putting 110% of his concentration into not screaming "F*%K" at the top of his lungs

1. Attached to his neck
    Post of the year :-)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Here's a question...

Could he be hurt again...playing through pain in the knee he hurt last year?
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    No, it's not.

It's like driving around a clunker for 10 years, knowing it was a piece of crap but looking forward to when you could have that dream car.

Once you finally get it, because you know you won't always be able to drive that dream car, you worry about every little noise in the engine.
    Or it could be like buying a make and model car you could tweak and add accessories to in order to create your dream car, only to discover that after you tweaked and tinkered and added, that your original car may have defects you are unwilling to admit to.

I know Votto will be OK. But how long? Every one loves to blame whoever is in the 2 hole, but at times he looks lost. Could it be that pitchers are beginning to figure him out and his adjustments aren't helping?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

It's a legitimate point to raise the point that Votto is scuffling (I don't know that a "Where's his head?" thread is needed, but whatever). But when the OP bumps his post moments later to whine about a taken strike 3, all credibility is lost with me.

8. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-17-2013),The Operator (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Where's his head at right now?
    Rode hard and put up wet.

I do not think 1 day off is going to fix what ails him. Maybe another day off next to a day with no game on the schedule

Give him a day pass at the Cincinnati Museum Center. I hear the Omninax movie about butterflies is good. Also the Edward Henry Potthast painting exhibition at the Cincinnati Art Museum is pretty cool. Let him browse men' clothing at Romualdo in Madeira. Take him to dinner and martinis at The Precinct or Nada's (or the Senate if he wants to be hip).

Round it off with a Starbucks gift card and I'd say Joey would have a nice day off.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post

I know Votto will be OK. But how long? Every one loves to blame whoever is in the 2 hole, but at times he looks lost. Could it be that pitchers are beginning to figure him out and his adjustments aren't helping?

934 ops. If pitchers have figured him out and he's still OPSing 934 I think we are good

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    934 ops. If pitchers have figured him out and he's still OPSing 934 I think we are good
    I don't think anyone is talking about Votto's hitting. He has been making mental blunders in the field and on the bases fairly frequently for the last couple of weeks. I'm surprised that so many on this thread haven't noticed and/or responded with so much mockery.

I think it's a valid question. Votto seems to be distracted. He seemingly musters all his concentration while he's at bat, but seems in another world at times during the rest of the game.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

m21eagle45 (06-16-2013),max venable (06-16-2013),mbgrayson (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't think anyone is talking about Votto's hitting. He has been making mental blunders in the field and on the bases fairly frequently for the last couple of weeks. I'm surprised that so many on this thread haven't noticed and/or responded with so much mockery.

I think it's a valid question. Votto seems to be distracted. He seemingly musters all his concentration while he's at bat, but seems in another world at times during the rest of the game.
    Couldn't he just be distracted because he's ... distracted? Not every blunder on the field needs to be tied to an existential crisis or anxiety about past injuries, right?

I just think at this point we are overanalyzing where we shouldn't be.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Salukifan2

Well, in response to the OP. Something that COULD be distracting him is the same thing that seems to have been distracting Ryan Braun all year

Probably not though.

I know his on-base skills are amazing but 24 xbh and 33 rbi on June 16 for a 3 hitter considered by many to be the best hitter in baseball is not getting it done. Especially when you consider the context. The reds shelled out well over 200 mil for him to be the guy during the reds window right now. This is the Reds time, which means it is Joey's time.

Obviously its a long season and i think OP realizes that, but his point is very valid. Joey has to be there for this team to win the division, but more importantly, a World Series.

16. Likes:

max venable (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Couldn't he just be distracted because he's ... distracted? Not every blunder on the field needs to be tied to an existential crisis or anxiety about past injuries, right?

I just think at this point we are overanalyzing where we shouldn't be.
    That would be a refreshing take in a lot of threads.

Another note. It's Father's Day weekend, I've read he was close to his father, so maybe it's a less intense than before, but still affecting him bout of depression?

Guys slump on defense too

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    Well, in response to the OP. Something that COULD be distracting him is the same thing that seems to have been distracting Ryan Braun all year

Probably not though.

I know his on-base skills are amazing but 24 xbh and 33 rbi on June 16 for a 3 hitter considered by many to be the best hitter in baseball is not getting it done. Especially when you consider the context. The reds shelled out well over 200 mil for him to be the guy during the reds window right now. This is the Reds time, which means it is Joey's time.

Obviously its a long season and i think OP realizes that, but his point is very valid. Joey has to be there for this team to win the division, but more importantly, a World Series.
    The Reds are paying Joey Votto to be a ~5 WAR player. He's on pace for more than 6. When you're worried that a guy has been only the 6th most productive hitter in baseball this year instead fo the 1st, it's time to stop worrying.

Anybody who wants Joey Votto to hit 35 HRs and drive in 120 runs either doesn't get or doesn't appreciate the value he does provide. That's not to say I'm thrilled about a .180 ISO when we know he's fully capable of .240, but I just can't see getting worked up about it.

As for the #3 problem and the RBI expectations foisted up that spot in lineup, that's a criticism misplaced and which should be on the person who chooses to bat him 3rd.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

21. Likes:

nate (06-16-2013),Raisor (06-16-2013)

Turn Off Ads?