Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto: where's his head lately?

Re: Votto: where's his head lately?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Couldn't he just be distracted because he's ... distracted? Not every blunder on the field needs to be tied to an existential crisis or anxiety about past injuries, right?

I just think at this point we are overanalyzing where we shouldn't be.
    The OP didn't draw any conclusions as to what may be distracting him, that was mostly coming from the mockers. He also didn't question Votto's skills as a player others read that into it. So the point is, this guys job is to play baseball. If he's distracted, for whatever reason, while he's playing a game, it's a problem IMO. It doesn't mean he's bad or that anyone thinks he sucks. He does need to get over it. I think asking about it is fair game. We know he's not a bonehead, but he's been playing like one for a couple weeks now. I understand slumps, but a series of mental errors isn't a slump. It's somethimg else. I even get having an off day, but its been a couple weeks now where he's made mental errors in the field and on the bases.

Why does asking the question deserve the silly, mocking repsonses? If you think he's into the game and not distracted at all, respond that way. If your angry at the suggestion, if you think the OP is biased and has an axe to grind or have outrage for any reason, fine state your case, but this silly mocking should stop.

I realize that you weren't one of the mockers by the way.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-16-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-16-2013),m21eagle45 (06-16-2013),max venable (06-16-2013),wlf WV (06-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Pretty sick at this point of threads questioning Votto's skill as a player. His head is just fine. Dude has a .950 OPS when he is slumping. Baseball is hard.
    Pretty sick of your threads questioning Dusty also, but we still get them. Your arguement that Votto is fine is just the same as what you use to argue Dusty is a lousy manager. This thread is fine, he isn't saying Joey is a lousy player, just asking where hi head has been out lately, which I think is a valid question. joey seems to no be himself lately!

5. Likes:

jimbo (06-16-2013),max venable (06-16-2013)

His head is connected to his torso, where it's always been.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

NM
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I have been as anti-batting Votto 2nd as any, but it would really make a lot of sense to just slide everyone up a spot.

Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Paul
    Cozart
    Catcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

9. Likes:

max venable (06-16-2013),mth123 (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I have been as anti-batting Votto 2nd as any, but it would really make a lot of sense to just slide everyone up a spot.

Choo
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Paul
    Cozart
    Catcher
    Which would put Choo, Votto, Phillips, Bruce, Frazier in the top five. Whatever order you want I love it

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Pretty sick of your threads questioning Dusty also, but we still get them. Your arguement that Votto is fine is just the same as what you use to argue Dusty is a lousy manager. This thread is fine, he isn't saying Joey is a lousy player, just asking where hi head has been out lately, which I think is a valid question. joey seems to no be himself lately!

I have only posted one thread about Dusty, and it was not about questioning him -- it was about trying to put together more information on his managing style.

Critiques of Dusty, IMO, are based on strategic questions rather than some vague speculation about "where his head is." That's a big difference.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The OP didn't draw any conclusions as to what may be distracting him, that was mostly coming from the mockers. He also didn't question Votto's skills as a player others read that into it. So the point is, this guys job is to play baseball. If he's distracted, for whatever reason, while he's playing a game, it's a problem IMO. It doesn't mean he's bad or that anyone thinks he sucks. He does need to get over it. I think asking about it is fair game. We know he's not a bonehead, but he's been playing like one for a couple weeks now. I understand slumps, but a series of mental errors isn't a slump. It's somethimg else. I even get having an off day, but its been a couple weeks now where he's made mental errors in the field and on the bases.

Why does asking the question deserve the silly, mocking repsonses? If you think he's into the game and not distracted at all, respond that way. If your angry at the suggestion, if you think the OP is biased and has an axe to grind or have outrage for any reason, fine state your case, but this silly mocking should stop.

I realize that you weren't one of the mockers by the way.
    I guess I don't see Votto as playing like a bonehead. I see him making a few mental errors that are magnified because we expect so much of him.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    I didn't question his OPS. Didn't question his skill either.

Asked where his head is. Dude leads the NL in errors by a 1B. He's 11th in range factor.

OF COURSE he will begin destroying pitching again soon. But in the meantime he's making bonehead plays in the field and on the bases. And when I bring it up, I get piled on for questioning his skill. Dude is in a funk. I think everyone would agree on that. I'm asking if anyone has an idea as to why.

Again, never said the guy couldn't hit. But for all the praise he receives as a defensive whiz at 1B, he sure hasn't displayed that at all lately.
    With all due respect, your qfuestion doesn't seem sincere, but seems more like a Brennemanesque picking on the star under the guise of frankness.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    With all due respect, your qfuestion doesn't seem sincere, but seems more like a Brennemanesque picking on the star under the guise of frankness.
    Well, you'll just have to take my word that it's a sincere question. I love JV. Love that he's a Red. I'm just a bit baffled by what seems like a series of mental gaffes lately.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Well, you'll just have to take my word that it's a sincere question. I love JV. Love that he's a Red. I'm just a bit baffled by what seems like a series of mental gaffes lately.
    If it were Donald Lutz making the same mental errors would he be getting a pass?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

What "gaffes" are we talking about?

17. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-17-2013),RedEye (06-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It's the type of question that we aren't going to arrive at any compelling conclusions about in this context. Hmmm... maybe he's having anxiety again? Maybe he's on PED's? Maybe his fiancée is having career difficulty? (I kid on that one). Anyway, there isn't really any provable answer, and we're just headed down a rabbit hole with these possibilities for which the only real answer is, "Well, maybe!"

Now it's different if there is some sort of substantiated report that Votto is distracted. Then we have something to discuss. But at the moment, we are just engaging in pointless speculation IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    If it were Donald Lutz making the same mental errors would he be getting a pass?
    No, nor should he. He has to win a job and has very litle current value to the Reds overall successs. When he gets a chance to contribute, he needs to make the most of it, and quickly becomes a liability if he makes dumb plays. Votto is integral to the team's success, works as hard as anyone' and is a world class ballplayer. So, dang right his bonehead plays can be shrugged off. He'll fix the problem. He has earned and deserves that respect. What respect has a rookie earned?
    Last edited by traderumor; 06-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

20. Likes:

Cursh14 (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    What "gaffes" are we talking about?
    Getting picked-off while day-dreaming. Not going after a foul pop that was clearly his ball and Mesoraco had to dive to get. Taking a non-chalant approach on throws to first. Multiple times he's just stood there with a throw that was off-line and lamely reached and waved at it. He didn't shift his feet or position himself to catch the ball. Stuff like that. I get that these things happen, but they aren't really physical errors, they are mental mistakes and when they happen in a cluster over a couple of weeks, I think it's OK to raise the question.

I realize that we won't arrive at a definitive answer, but when do we really? It doesn't stop us from discussing anything else. I don't think the OP deserved to be mocked the way he has in this thread. His observation was not wrong.

22. Likes:

max venable (06-16-2013),wlf WV (06-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?