Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Questions about cincy

Salukifan2

Questions about cincy

As many of you may know I am a cards fan, but one of my passions in life is thinking about urban re-development. I'm currently an econ major and I am considering doubling with some sort of urban studies program. I lived in St. Louis for a few years of my life before I was dragged to the suburbs by my parents, but whats a 4 yr old to do?

Through traveling back to the city for cards games, conerts, restaurants etc..., i couldn't help but notice the jaw dropping amounts of beautiful architecture. Ranging from early french construction, dating back to the turn of the 19th century, through the art-deco era. Even more startling was the number of vacant properties and massive amounts of blight the city had endured.

My interest does not lie solely in St. Louis, but rather with the midwest region as a whole. Cincinnati is the city that has peaked my interest recently because of its Italianate architecture and I have a couple requests for those willing to answer.

1.) Are the Hamilton County lines and Cincy city lines the same? Or is cincy located within hamilton county? This confusion came about because westwood is called a suburb on wikipedia but appears to be within the city lines on google maps.

2.) I'd love it if people could give me the names of interesting neighborhoods to explore. They can be ritzy or terribly blighted, if all fascinates me.

3.) If anyone could link some blogs about redevelopment within the cincy that would be fantastic as well.

Thanks all
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 06-16-2013 at 03:38 AM.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Questions about cincy

http://www.blogotr.com/otr/

Cincinnati is within Hamilton county. Westwood was a suburb many years ago as people moved out of the basin, but it was annexed by Cincinnati.

OVer the Rhine is where the highest concentration of italienate architecture can be found. Covington and Newport across the river also have fair amounts as well. It's also worth it to explore the mansions of North Avondale and Clifton where you can see some pretty stunning late 1800s and early 1900s architecture. Several famous architects built homes for the wealthy industrialists of the era.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 06-16-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Add content
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

1) Cincinnati lies within Hamilton County. That maybe the primary reason for the dysfunction in local government. For example Westwood is still City ie city schools, services and taxes.

2) Over the Rhine and Clifton would probably be my choices for urban architecture. You also may want to check out Hyde Park and Mt Lookout for a whole hodgepodge of homes. If you want to venture into Price Hill, the nicer parts of Price Hill (if there is one) has some great homes. Problem is the vast majority of that area has been run down and dilapidated.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    As many of you may know I am a cards fan, but one of my passions in life is thinking about urban re-development. I'm currently an econ major and I am considering doubling with some sort of urban studies program. I lived in St. Louis for a few years of my life before I was dragged to the suburbs by my parents, but whats a 4 yr old to do?

Through traveling back to the city for cards games, conerts, restaurants etc..., i couldn't help but notice the jaw dropping amounts of beautiful architecture. Ranging from early french construction, dating back to the turn of the 19th century, through the art-deco era. Even more startling was the number of vacant properties and massive amounts of blight the city had endured.

My interest does not lie solely in St. Louis, but rather with the midwest region as a whole. Cincinnati is the city that has peaked my interest recently because of its Italianate architecture and I have a couple requests for those willing to answer.

1.) Are the Hamilton County lines and Cincy city lines the same? Or is cincy located within hamilton county? This confusion came about because westwood is called a suburb on wikipedia but appears to be within the city lines on google maps.

2.) I'd love it if people could give me the names of interesting neighborhoods to explore. They can be ritzy or terribly blighted, if all fascinates me.

3.) If anyone could link some blogs about redevelopment within the cincy that would be fantastic as well.

Thanks all
    Not quite redevelopment, but a very neat site on architecture & history in Cincinnati: http://www.diggingcincinnati.com/
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

This is a very good blog that might interest you.

http://www.urbancincy.com/
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?