Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Cueto up, Cingrani stays for now

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Cueto up, Cingrani stays for now

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    We're not in the stretch right now. It's mid-June. And take a look at how often Cingrani threw as a reliever for the Reds last year. It wasn't often. The way Baker might use him now would likely be far different.
    The games all count the same. We're almost to the midway point. This race will likely come down to a game or three. I consider this the pennant race right now. We've seen it more often than ever in MLB lately: divisional/wildcard races coming down to the final game of the season. Once you get to this point, every W is precious. It's easy to see why Walt and Co. think Cingrani needs to be with the Reds (and not Louisville) right now. Very easy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The problem with that plan is that what happens if Cueto or someone else gets hurt in 3 weeks after Cingrani is in the bullpen? We get to choose a starter from Greg Reynolds, Chad Reineke, Armando Galarraga, Pedro Villarreal or Daniel Corcino to fill in as a starter. I really don't think the Reds want to do that. The downgrade to one of those guys is so huge compared to what is happening in the bullpen that I would be surprised to see that be the move.
    Cingrani moves back into the rotation over any of those guys. He isn't going to magically forget how to start just because he's been in the bullpen for a while.

This is Obvious people!

Tony is Cuetos insurance plan to make it to the all star break. If Cueto is DL'd again Tony will be there, without having to punt with Villareal. We'll only see tony in tight games RP'ing. Cingrani is the best pitcher we have for replacement, we're chasing a Cards team that is showing signs of coming back to earth. After the break we'll shop for RP.

Watch me proved wrong this week.

5. Likes:

Chip R (06-17-2013)

Just wondering, has Reynolds figured something out....looking at his numbers he has never done this well ESP at the AAA level. Also, would it be that bad for Galaragga or Reineke to have a start or two while Tony would possibly need sent down to stretch him out? Reds have blown a few lately with an undermanned pen, while I love reading a lot of Doug's posts and agree with him most of the time....put me in the camp of Tony in the pen for now. Again...really wonder about Reynolds....maybe he didn't opt out for a reason....maybe he is getting quality coaching leading to greater success.

This isn't an easy decision. I don't think Cingrani's development is the main point.

The main point is having Tony available to start if a rotation member goes down again this year.

Would use him in the pen, but longer stints with plenty of rest, almost like a starter.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-16-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This isn't an easy decision. I don't think Cingrani's development is the main point.
    Of course, that depends if you are taking the long or the short view.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    They still knew he'd be a starter in the future, but thought using him as a reliever in the meantime was the right call. Same as right now. That's my point.
    They thought they would reward him for a good season. The guy threw 5 innings last year in September. It wasn't about a Reds need. It was about rewarding an incredible season.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    Cingrani moves back into the rotation over any of those guys. He isn't going to magically forget how to start just because he's been in the bullpen for a while.
    Of course he isn't going to forget how to start, but maybe his arm won't be conditioned to start depending on how long he is in the bullpen and how quickly he is needed to start.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The problem with that plan is that what happens if Cueto or someone else gets hurt in 3 weeks after Cingrani is in the bullpen? We get to choose a starter from Greg Reynolds, Chad Reineke, Armando Galarraga, Pedro Villarreal or Daniel Corcino to fill in as a starter. I really don't think the Reds want to do that. The downgrade to one of those guys is so huge compared to what is happening in the bullpen that I would be surprised to see that be the move.
    So if he is used out of the pen he mystically loses his ability to start? I think you've hypnotized yourself Doug. Ever hear of a "swing man ? "
    Last edited by smixsell; 06-16-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    So if he is used out of the pen he mystically loses his ability to start? I think you've hypnotized yourself Doug. Ever hear of a "swing man ? "
    Pitchers, some more than other, are creatures of roles and habits. It's a valid point to discuss, though we don't know the inside baseball regarding Tony on this matter.

It is not a point that needs to be triple-mocked.

I can't understand how some folks are so worried about the "roles" of the rest of the relief staff, and yet seem so comfortable yanking a kid like Cingrani back and forth between the rotation and the 'pen. Seems to me that shifting between starting and relieving must be much more challenging physically and emotionally for a rookie big leaguer than it would be for, say, a more seasoned vet like Chapman to face a few extra batters in the eighth inning.

If this is really an "all hands on deck" situation, why should we privilege one arm's development over another? Cingrani is a big part of the future of the Reds rotation, is he not? Seems like management would do well to handle him carefully. And if they are gonna risk his welfare in the interest of winning now, I'm confused why they wouldn't do that for others, too.

Where did you ever get the idea that I stated he would lose his ability to start? I am simply saying if he stays in the bullpen long enough, he will need time to get back to the point where his arm is conditioned for starting. Maybe it is 2-4 weeks, but that is still several starts from someone not in the same area code as Tony Cingrani.

I'd much rather attempt to pick up a reliever in trade, then risk Cingrani's long term potential.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I think you've hypnotized yourself Doug. Ever hear of a "swing man ? "
    Yeah, and good pitchers rarely end up as one for a reason.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Wainwright, Price, Sale, Medlen.

It happens. It won't kill him. He gets a longer sample of big league life, might pitch a few tight games, maybe even a blowout where Price can gauge his secondary pitches.

This is a good thing.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?