Turn Off Ads?
Page 61 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Part 2)

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    now 5 - zip -- maybe the Pirates should be taken seriously
    I think everyone is taking them seriously. That doesn't mean they're better than the Reds, though. I think the Reds are a better team and haven't given up the possibility of that manifesting itself in the final standings.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Likes:

Red Raindog (08-14-2013),redhawkfish (08-14-2013),reds44 (08-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I think everyone is taking them seriously. That doesn't mean they're better than the Reds, though. I think the Reds are a better team and haven't given up the possibility of that manifesting itself in the final standings.
    Trying to look at it objectively, if I were to put a starting eight out there, taking the best players from the Pirates and Reds, I'd go with this:

1B-Votto
    2B-Phillips
    3B-Alvarez
    SS-Cozart
    LF-Marte
    CF-McCutchen
    RF-Bruce
    C-Martin

Again, I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I could be wrong on some of these, but I feel like the only two positions where there would be any question would be catcher and short. But, I come up with four Reds, four Pirates.

I think the rotation is about equal, maybe a slight edge to the Reds actually. Bullpen, I probably give the edge to the Pirates. Bench...IDK honestly. Reds might be better. I'm not sure. But, personally, I think they are pretty even.

Overall, I think they are two evenly matched teams, and this is born out is the 7-6 head-to-head record. Again, not trying to be a homer...just having a discussion.

5. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Trying to look at it objectively, if I were to put a starting eight out there, taking the best players from the Pirates and Reds, I'd go with this:

1B-Votto
    2B-Phillips
    3B-Alvarez
    SS-Cozart
    LF-Marte
    CF-McCutchen
    RF-Bruce
    C-Martin

Again, I'm trying to be as objective as possible. I could be wrong on some of these, but I feel like the only two positions where there would be any question would be catcher and short. But, I come up with four Reds, four Pirates.

I think the rotation is about equal, maybe a slight edge to the Reds actually. Bullpen, I probably give the edge to the Pirates. Bench...IDK honestly. Reds might be better. I'm not sure. But, personally, I think they are pretty even.

Overall, I think they are two evenly matched teams, and this is born out is the 7-6 head-to-head record. Again, not trying to be a homer...just having a discussion.
    I agree with every single position player you listed. I also agree with your synopsis about the rotation and pen.

However, right now, I'd probably take the Reds' pen over the Pirates given the absence of Grilli. Melancon continues to pitch out of his mind, but I still think that 0.81 ERA is going to take a hit at some point. The Pirates' pen has been better this year on the whole, but the Reds are starting to get back to where they were supposed to be when the season started. With Hoover and Parra pitching as well as they have been and Broxton back and healthy, I think they're back in that conversation.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

1B-Votto
    2B-Phillips
    3B-Alvarez
    SS-Cozart
    LF-Marte
    CF-McCutchen
    RF-Bruce
    C-Martin
    2 thoughts:

I don't see Matt Catpenter on your list. I don't watch St Louis much but he must be a complete butcher to not make the butcher who he's out OPSing by well over 100 points.

For three really good teams the shortstops in this division are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I agree with every single position player you listed. I also agree with your synopsis about the rotation and pen.

However, right now, I'd probably take the Reds' pen over the Pirates given the absence of Grilli. Melancon continues to pitch out of his mind, but I still think that 0.81 ERA is going to take a hit at some point. The Pirates' pen has been better this year on the whole, but the Reds are starting to get back to where they were supposed to be when the season started. With Hoover and Parra pitching as well as they have been and Broxton back and healthy, I think they're back in that conversation.
    That's true about Grilli. It sounds like his rehab is progressing well, but for the time being, I have to agree with you. Melancon has been fantastic, but you're right there as well. It will be tough for him to continue at that level. He really CAN'T pitch too much better.

With the debacle that was last night, th bigger problem, I think, than even the loss, was the taxing that happened to the Pirates pen, having to cover five more innings.

The wild card will be what happens when, and if, Wandy Rodriguez and Grilli come back from the DL. More than likely, that means either Charlie Morton or Gerrit Cole move to the bullpen. I think that eventually Cole will be an ace, but he's not there yet. He honestly might be better this year though in the bullpen. He's got three reliable pitches, but just being able to come in and throw heat for an inning or two might be best for the time being. Aside from that, he's approaching his inning limit from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    2 thoughts:

I don't see Matt Catpenter on your list. I don't watch St Louis much but he must be a complete butcher to not make the butcher who he's out OPSing by well over 100 points.

For three really good teams the shortstops in this division are awful.
    Just an analysis between the Pirates and Reds. The irony is that if you added the Cards, I'm not sure I'd put any on the list, aside from Molina at catcher. I like the power that Phillips provides over Carpenter, and I think their defense is pretty similar. But, I almost never get to watch St. Louis, as their games are always blacked out in Iowa.

That said, top to bottom, I feel like the Cards have the best lineup. They just don't, in my estimation, have the best player at any one position, besides catcher, among these three teams.

Just an analysis between the Pirates and Reds.
    wow, I totally missed that one. My bad.

Wacha in for St. Louis. If only we had drafted him we'd be in first place by 20+ games.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Why in the world would MLB blackout the Cards/Pirates game on ESPN?

In Columbus by the way.
    I think the Pirates claim that Columbus is in their territorial rights for MLB blackout. They must be confused with all the fair weather Steeler fans that exist in Central Ohio.

I'm beginning to think everyone else is playing for 2nd this year. The Dodgers are now 41-12 since June 15th.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Cards dropping to 12-19 vs. LH starters after tonight.

Would you even remotely consider running Cingrani out there in a 1-game WC situation?

I'd have trouble trusting his nerves in that scenario, but the numbers don't lie.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I'm beginning to think everyone else is playing for 2nd this year. The Dodgers are now 41-12 since June 15th.
    Yeah. I don't know about you guys as Reds fans, but as a Pirates fan I want no part of that team.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Yeah. I don't know about you guys as Reds fans, but as a Pirates fan I want no part of that team.
    They're "due."
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Cards dropping to 12-19 vs. LH starters after tonight.

Would you even remotely consider running Cingrani out there in a 1-game WC situation?

I'd have trouble trusting his nerves in that scenario, but the numbers don't lie.
    I think the Central race is going to be too close for anybody to line up rotations for a 1 game playoff, but if the Reds have the choice it has to be Latos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think the Central race is going to be too close for anybody to line up rotations for a 1 game playoff, but if the Reds have the choice it has to be Latos.
    That's a great point. I'd be ok with Liriano or Burnett, maybe Wandy if he comes back strong. Morton, Locke, and Cole all have promise, but are too inconsistent to trust in a one and done scenario, IMHO.

Cards would certainly want Wainrwright starting. I cringe every time Bailey is on the mound against Pittsburgh. That guy owns us.

Stat geek...and proud

Good game in LA right now for the second shifters. Mets/Dodgers tied at 4 in the 12th.

Turn Off Ads?