Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Part 2)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Scoreboard Watching 2013 (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Toronto has won 10 in a row and are now back over .500
    I guess Bautista won't be traded any time soon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

They had a 9-0 lead on the O's after 3 innings today, now it's 9-4 in the 7th.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Pirates could be 1.5 behind the Cards, with Bucs leading the Angels 5-1 tonight. Now 6-1.

Reds 3.5 behind Cards.

The Reds' worst nightmare is to find themselves 6 or 7 games behind Cards/Pirates who are battling for the division lead. Not there yet, but the Reds have to keep up with these teams or they will be entirely focused on getting into a one-game wild card matchup.

It's one thing to try and catch one team. It's another when multiple teams are ahead of you.
    But not a bid deal with over 1/2 the season left.....the Pirates will be happy with 85 wins....the Reds could win 85 with Drew Stubbs leading off.

Pirates up 1-0 after the first inning.

You know, it's one thing to be a bad team because all you could afford is cut-rate players and washed up old timers, but this Angels team (with their 128 million payroll) is some special kind of awful.

Now the ball is stuck in the Angels' scoreboard.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Pirates up 1-0 after the first inning.

You know, it's one thing to be a bad team because all you could afford is cut-rate players and washed up old timers, but this Angels team (with their 128 million payroll) is some special kind of awful.
    The offense has the best OPS+ in all of baseball. So their offense is elite. Their ERA+ is tied for 3rd worst in baseball. The pitching is killing them. Joe Blanton is doing his best Eric Milton impression.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The offense has the best OPS+ in all of baseball. So their offense is elite. Their ERA+ is tied for 3rd worst in baseball. The pitching is killing them. Joe Blanton is doing his best Eric Milton impression.
    Yep. They've had a glaring need at pitching for awhile now, but they continue to spend their money on aging sluggers.

Last year they were willing to give up a top prospect in Segura to get a few months of Grienke, but then spend the money needed to sign him on Josh Hamilton. One of the most puzzling series of moves ever.
    Last edited by 757690; 06-23-2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

mth123 (06-23-2013)

True, but pitching isn't their only problem. Their defense is nothing to write home about either.

Wild finish in Anaheim. After Pittsburgh scored four runs in the top of the 10th inning, Jason Grilli gave up three runs in the bottom of the inning and had runners on second and third with two outs with Mike Trout at the plate. He struck Trout out, though, and hung on to rescue the game for the Pirates.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

LF for the Angels...Schuk.... what a bad day at the park. Got turned around on a fly ball that would have helped win the game. Let another one get past him.

Trout swung at ball 2 on 1-1, which helped Grills throw that slider to end him.

Man that would have been great to see the Angeles pull that one out.

Going to be another long rain delay in St. Louis for the ESPN game. (sigh)

How 'bout those Pirates? Helluva game.

Rangers sweep Cards. Final game 2-1

I guess the Cards will have hard time in the playoffs if they make it, since they can't beat playoff teams
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Rangers sweep Cards. Final game 2-1

I guess the Cards will have hard time in the playoffs if they make it, since they can't beat playoff teams
    So, the reds take one of three from Arizona, the cards get swept, and the Bucs sweep the Angels. Who's the chump here? Sure isn't the Pirates. They have the Force. So far. Time to quit making fun of them and start respecting them. Especially the Reds.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

16. Likes:

757690 (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    So, the reds take one of three from Arizona, the cards get swept, and the Bucs sweep the Angels. Who's the chump here? Sure isn't the Pirates. They have the Force. So far. Time to quit making fun of them and start respecting them. Especially the Reds.
    I've heard the same thing for the past two years. While I don't doubt that the Pirates are "for real" or whatever you want to call it, I'll believe it when I see it.

18. Likes:

WVRedsFan (06-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Making fun of them and not taking them seriously aren't one in the same. Still, while I think most are taking them seriously, they're going to have to prove they're legit for a full season.

Personally, I think they're a good team. I don't think their pitching is anywhere near as good as it's been, though.

Mark Melancon's career FIP is 3.39. He currently sports a 0.99 ERA. Jason Grilli, who finally has become human the last few games, has a career 3.93 FIP. He has a 1.07 ERA.

Liriano, Jeff Locke, Justin Wilson, Vin Mazzaro and Bryan Morris all have strand rates around 85%. Not likely to continue, either. And while Lock has sensational control, I don't think he'll sport a 2 ERA with a strikeout rate of less than 7/9.

Almost the entire Pirates staff is slightly or majorly outperforming their ERA estimators. That doesn't bode well, as it means there's probably some regression in store.

Do I think they're good? Yes. Do I think they're a playoff contender? Probably. Do I think they'll collapse again? The odds are against it. But there's some room to be skeptical that they'll keep pace.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

20. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (06-24-2013),IABucFan (06-24-2013),OesterPoster (06-24-2013),PuffyPig (06-24-2013),Tom Servo (06-24-2013),Tony Cloninger (06-24-2013),WVRedsFan (06-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?