Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bring back Jack McKeon to Manage the Bullpen

Re: Bring back Jack McKeon to Manage the Bullpen

Imagine if Dusty threw Chapman 111 innings out of the bullpen and Chapman got hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Imagine if Dusty threw Chapman 111 innings out of the bullpen and Chapman got hurt.
    Why would we want to do that?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Imagine you are walking barefoot and you step on a rusty nail.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Imagine you are walking barefoot and you step on a rusty nail.
    I have, it sucks

Isn't that why we want McKeon back?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Isn't that why we want McKeon back?
    Not if you look at the OP's proposal, I don't think. He's suggesting that Chapman would keep the 9th inning role (if a more malleable one) while Simon, LeCure and Marshall become longer-form set-up guys in the mold of Sully and Williamson. At least I think that's what he's proposing.

Because LeCure pitching in high leverage situations has worked so well lately.

Because LeCure pitching in high leverage situations has worked so well lately.
    Good grief. The guy has been effective for a long time. One week of bad outings doesn't mean he's useless in the role. He was due for a regression and picked an awful time to have it. If you want to argue Parra, you will get no debate from me, he sucks -- but I think LeCure is far from a lost cause at this point.

Come to think of it, if I had to pick a current pitcher who most reminds me of Scott Sullivan, I think I'd have to pick LeCure -- minus the sidearm delivery and plus quite a bit of facial hair. He just seems like the kind of guy who can be your unglamorous, "every day" mainstay.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-17-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Come to think of it, if I had to pick a current pitcher who most reminds me of Scott Sullivan, I think I'd have to pick LeCure -- minus the sidearm delivery and plus quite a bit of facial hair. He just seems like the kind of guy who can be your unglamorous, "every day" mainstay.
    Lecure has always needed a lot of rest and has had many injury absences.

Sam likely can still pitch multiple innings, like Sullivan, but he certainly can't do it very frequently. Sullivan pitched very frequently in his prime, almost daily sometimes.

And people always consider Sam a starting pitcher at heart; but that was quite awhile ago.

I can see using Sam for two inning slots but then he's likely to need several days off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lecure has always needed a lot of rest and has had many injury absences.
    Huh. I guess I just haven't been paying attention. For some reason, I had the impression he'd been fairly healthy since coming up to the big league club and taking on a role as a RP. Was he injury prone as starter in AAA? How many days does he usually take off between appearances? Maybe I'm thinking of his spot long-relief in the first game of the 2012 playoffs instead of what he actually does during the season.

Huh. I guess I just haven't been paying attention. For some reason, I had the impression he'd been fairly healthy since coming up to the big league club and taking on a role as a RP. Was he injury prone as starter in AAA? How many days does he usually take off between appearances? Maybe I'm thinking of his spot long-relief in the first game of the 2012 playoffs instead of what he actually does during the season.
    In 2013, Lecure has thrown back to back days twice. He had one day rest in between outings 10 times. 2 days rest 8 times. 3 days rest 3 times. 5 days rest once. 9 Days rest once.

On the back to backs, the first time he was coming off 2 days rest from an appearance where he faced one batter which also came after 2 days rest from the appearance before that one. The second time he threw back to back he faced only one batter the second time.

Lecure's longest outing this year has been 2 innings which he has done 4 times. One time was his first outing of the season where he was well rested, the second he was coming off of pitching just 1 inning in 11 days. The 3rd and 4th times were on consecutive appearances with just one day in between.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    In 2013, Lecure has thrown back to back days twice. He had one day rest in between outings 10 times. 2 days rest 8 times. 3 days rest 3 times. 5 days rest once. 9 Days rest once.

On the back to backs, the first time he was coming off 2 days rest from an appearance where he faced one batter which also came after 2 days rest from the appearance before that one. The second time he threw back to back he faced only one batter the second time.

Lecure's longest outing this year has been 2 innings which he has done 4 times. One time was his first outing of the season where he was well rested, the second he was coming off of pitching just 1 inning in 11 days. The 3rd and 4th times were on consecutive appearances with just one day in between.
    Wow, thanks for looking all of that up! Am I wrong in thinking that this could be the profile of a bullpen workhorse?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Wow, thanks for looking all of that up! Am I wrong in thinking that this could be the profile of a bullpen workhorse?
    In my strat league I use him as the long man/ 6 inning guy or he shows up in extras a lot

As it stands he's still slotted behind Ryan Cook and Jesse Crain ( we use last years stats)

But Sam is versatile

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Can we please stop the bullpen usage/multiple innings theme around Reds baseball? It really sounds like those people who the team to bunt more, or want the pitchers to throw complete games like Bob Gibson used to. The Reds are paying 3 setup men big bucks, all of them are on the DL, when they are/were healthy they were above average to elite guys. Broxton and Marshall will be back, and who knows if Masset ever throws another pitch in the league.

Masset was used to throw multiple innings, or pitch multiple days in a row. We have not seen him since 2011. Think about it a little bit. These aren't guys that throw 89 mph.
    I am not following this. If a SP is expected to pitch six or seven innings after four days of rest, and relief is expected to pitch one inning every or every-other night, why is it unreasonable to think some pitchers might be most effective pitching three innings on two days rest? Why does this make me someone who longs for the golden days of baseball?

Not if Sullivan is the comp. Sully would usually go more than an inning and frequently would work 4 or 5 days in a row. Sometimes he'd go back to back and pitch 4 to 6 innings in two days. Using 1999 as the comp, Sullivan pitched 2 innings or more 26 times and accounted for 59 and two-third innings. Last Season only Arredondo, Chapman, Simon and Marshall went more than 59 and two-third innings and thise were just Sullivan's appearances with 2 or more innings. He had 79 total appearances with 113 and two-third IP that season.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?