Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds farm system overall

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Reds farm system overall

I got all 4 minor league teams' stats on my favorites links, and used to like to check them out like once a week.

Is it just me or does it seem like the Reds farm system has gone in the tank?

Dayton - Stephenson, Travieso and Winker and that's pretty much it.
    Bakersfield - maybe Muhammad (reliever) and Selsky?
    Pensacola - Sharky Rogers
    Louisville - Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds farm system overall

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I got all 4 minor league teams' stats on my favorites links, and used to like to check them out like once a week.

Is it just me or does it seem like the Reds farm system has gone in the tank?

Dayton - Stephenson, Travieso and Winker and that's pretty much it.
    Bakersfield - maybe Muhammad (reliever) and Selsky?
    Pensacola - Sharky Rogers
    Louisville - Hamilton
    Are you basing this off of their current stats only?

There are some players that project decently but they are not putting up the numbers yet. Also, as a result of injuries Cingrani and Lutz are up with the Reds that should be on the farm now.

I think any time you can list off multiple players in the minors for your team that not only project to contribute to the MLB team, but project to be very good (winker, travieso, hamilton, cingrani) to elite major leaguers (stephenson) the farm is not in the tank.

Based on team records, there sure doesn't seem to be a lot of talent down on the farm.

28-41 Dayton
    29-41 Bakersfield
    25-43 Pensacola
    35-35 Louisville

The only team that isn't flat-out awful is AAA Louisville, and that is mostly due to fringe AAAA veterans who are in their late 20s or 30s rather than the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think any time you can list off multiple players in the minors for your team that not only project to contribute to the MLB team, but project to be very good (winker, travieso, hamilton, cingrani) to elite major leaguers (stephenson) the farm is not in the tank.

Every team has promising recent high draft picks in the low minors. That is why they were high draft picks. Stephenson, Cingrani and Hamilton are the only guys on that list that are stone-cold locks to be in every team's top 10 prospects list.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Neh

Every team has promising recent high draft picks in the low minors. That is why they were high draft picks. Stephenson, Cingrani and Hamilton are the only guys on that list that are stone-cold locks to be in every team's top 10 prospects list.
    I find it hard to believe someone has 10 better prospects than Jesse Winker, no matter how you choose to look at your prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I find it hard to believe someone has 10 better prospects than Jesse Winker, no matter how you choose to look at your prospects.
    I like Winker, but most scouts view him as a bad-bodied non-athlete who brings nothing to the table other than his bat. They aren't even sure if he can stick in LF.

I like Winker, but most scouts view him as a bad-bodied non-athlete who brings nothing to the table other than his bat. They aren't even sure if he can stick in LF.
    Are these the scouts from "Trouble with the.curve"?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have never seen anyone suggest he can't stick in left field.

The guy was a top 50 pick in the entire draft. Scouts clearly weren't that concerned about his "non-athleteness".

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Twins very easily.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

System is pretty weak these days.

One legitimate SP prospect.

Hamilton -- could be electric if the bat comes along.

One hitter -- Winker. (There's also Lutz, who I consider a legit prospect.)

After that, some maybes. No starting SS or C prospects.

Peaks and valleys. The system has been very fruitful lately. Now the trees are a little bare. Hopefully there are a couple players in this 2013 draft class and they can do better in Latin America than they have recently.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    System is pretty weak these days.

One legitimate SP prospect.

Hamilton -- could be electric if the bat comes along.

One hitter -- Winker. (There's also Lutz, who I consider a legit prospect.)

After that, some maybes. No starting SS or C prospects.

Peaks and valleys. The system has been very fruitful lately. Now the trees are a little bare. Hopefully there are a couple players in this 2013 draft class and they can do better in Latin America than they have recently.
    Nick Traveioso is a very solid pitching prospect.

I know his numbers don't show it, but I expect good things from Tanner Rahier.

I also like Tucker Barnhart a lot as a catching prospect. I definitely think he has a solid shot of starting in the majors (albeit as a plattoon player).

Chad Rogers has done a lot for his prospect stock this year and could be a solid back of the rotation guy in just a year or two.

I'm not sure what has gotten into Daniel Corcino this year, but I'm not giving up on him after 57 innings.

Sure, the Reds farm system is not at its peak, but that is because we have graduated a lot of talent and traded a lot of talent in the last few years. I think we will look back at the farm 5 years from now and see that we had quite a few big league players down on the farm in mid 2013. This isn't even counting the guys we just drafted who could make an impact.

We've got a not-yet-twenty-one year old at High A ball whose extra base hits as a percentage of total base hits is 53%. That makes Yorman Rodriguez, to me at least, worth mention among the interesting, developing stories in our system.

Not giving up on anybody. I have as much hope as anyone when it comes to the farm -- been following it closely for 30 years. This is just a valley relative to what the farm has been recently. Go back to the Bowden years and 2013 looks very promising by comparison.

Several guys I call maybes could blossom -- Yorman, Reynoso, Ervin, Arias, Rahier, Travieso, Garrett, and more. Plenty of upside, down there. But none of these guys has proven it on the field yet. And there's always the guys who will make a run at being helpful utility players or bullpen arms -- I don't underestimate their value either.

Hopefully we see some better performance in the second half.

28-41 Dayton
    29-41 Bakersfield
    25-43 Pensacola
    35-35 Louisville
    Maybe it is just me but this is about as meaningless as it gets with regards to looking at individual prospect talent.

16. Likes:

HokieRed (06-18-2013),Lockdwn11 (06-18-2013),RedEye (06-18-2013),SirFelixCat (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Not giving up on anybody. I have as much hope as anyone when it comes to the farm -- been following it closely for 30 years. This is just a valley relative to what the farm has been recently. Go back to the Bowden years and 2013 looks very promising by comparison.

Several guys I call maybes could blossom -- Yorman, Reynoso, Ervin, Arias, Rahier, Travieso, Garrett, and more. Plenty of upside, down there. But none of these guys has proven it on the field yet. And there's always the guys who will make a run at being helpful utility players or bullpen arms -- I don't underestimate their value either.

Hopefully we see some better performance in the second half.
    Yorman seems to be putting up very solid numbers for a 20 year old at high A.

20 doubles/4 triples/9 homers - I think this is a very good sign for a young player in the minors.

Turn Off Ads?