Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88

Thread: Would you trade Bailey?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Big Bear City, CA
    Posts
    549

    Would you trade Bailey?

    With Homer Bailey's approaching arbitration and free agency, and with the hints that he may leave because he doesn't want to pitch at GABP, would you package him along with 1 or 2 minor leaguers to try to get G. Stanton? Stanton is not real happy in Miami. Would the Marlins even consider it?

  2. #2
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,844

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    If the Marlins are trading Stanton, they will be looking for cost controlled guys, not players just as they are about to get expensive. Cingrani/Stephensen/Chapman/Hamilton, etc. Those are the players they would target.

    As far as trading Bailey... makes no sense to me. Reds trying to contend, have Arroyo leaving after season probably, health of Cueto. It's nice to have 6 options at the momeny (unless you really enjoyed Villareal that one time). We are talking about a guy who is projected to start some playoff games this year for the Reds.... and you want to trade him?

    Different matter if Reds aren't contending. They are so keep the good players and try to win.

  3. Likes:

    mth123 (06-17-2013), Red in Chicago (06-17-2013)

  4. #3
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    For Jurickson Profar or Giancarlo Stanton, yes. Yes I would.

  5. #4
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,989

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    For Jurickson Profar or Giancarlo Stanton, yes. Yes I would.
    I think those are both bad trades for Homer Bailey straight up.

  6. #5
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think those are both bad trades for Homer Bailey straight up.
    I guess we disagree then. If you can get a potential cost-controlled franchise offensive player in exchange for 1.5 years of a pitcher who is about to become very expensive, you have to do it IMO. I like Homer quite a bit, but no player is off-limits.

  7. Likes:

    m21eagle45 (06-18-2013), remdog (06-18-2013)

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,567

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think those are both bad trades for Homer Bailey straight up.
    Stanton for Bailey straight up would he high way robbery for the Reds, and I'm in the "do not trade Bailey while we are contending" camp.

    That trade would never be done by the Marlins.

    BTW, didn't we just have a thread about trading Bailey?
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 06-17-2013 at 04:11 PM.

  9. #7
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,989

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Stanton for Bailey straight up would he high way robbery for the Reds, and I'm in the "do not trade Bailey while we are contending" camp.

    That trade would never be done by the Marlins.
    I understand that is how it would be perceived but I think it would really damage the chances of the Reds winning a WS this year.

    I agree, the Marlins would never do the trade.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,817

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    For Jurickson Profar or Giancarlo Stanton, yes. Yes I would.
    This. But only after the season. Makes no sense to do this before then. Then move Cingrani into the rotation and sign Arroyo to a 2-year $15M deal so he can retire a Red. Or move Chapman to the rotation if Arroyo seeks more elsewhere.

    Otherwise keep Bailey and/or try to extend him.
    Go BLUE!!!

  11. #9
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,429

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Would you trade the last 3 seasons for 2006?

    When one starts talking about trading starting pitching the Reds waited around for years for because of cost and then suggest they target a power hitter will lead you right to 2006... so cue up "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley if you want a full 2006 experience

  12. Likes:

    bigredmechanism (06-18-2013), Cursh14 (06-19-2013)

  13. #10
    Tired of talk. Win! Joseph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Commonwealth
    Posts
    8,350

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    This is not a slight on you 40yr, but where do comments like this come from as it relates to free agency? Sure there's probably a statement where Homer has said pitching in GABP is tough, but has he or his agent come out and said they won't re-sign in Cincy because of GABP? Things like this get suggested and in time they become fact when no one really knows.

    In answer to the question, no I would not trade him. A shot at the WS is way more important than maximizing value on a guy we don't even know is going to leave or not.

    Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

  14. #11
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    In answer to the question, no I would not trade him. A shot at the WS is way more important than maximizing value on a guy we don't even know is going to leave or not.
    I think Stanton (and probably Profar) increase the team's chances at winning a championship now and in the future.

  15. #12
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,989

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think Stanton (and probably Profar) increase the team's chances at winning a championship now and in the future.
    It's funny because this is the exact same reason I would not trade Homer for 1 offensive player (injury prone and terrible on defense in Stanton's case, and young and inexperienced in Profar's). I think trading Homer away right now is the equal of trading away any shot at a WS this year unless there was a corresponding move for a TOR starter.

    Homer is entering his prime right now. He is excellent and getting better. With how much Cueto has been on the DL this season the reds cannot afford to trade Homer away. This would be a horrific mistake in my opinion. Go back and look at championship teams, you will notice one similarity across the board - excellent starting pitching.

  16. Likes:

    mth123 (06-17-2013)

  17. #13
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,943

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Homer is entering his prime right now. He is excellent and getting better. With how much Cueto has been on the DL this season the reds cannot afford to trade Homer away. This would be a horrific mistake in my opinion. Go back and look at championship teams, you will notice one similarity across the board - excellent starting pitching.
    In 2012, Giancarlo Stanton was a 5-win player. He is cost-controlled through the rest of the Reds current window. He solves the Reds lineup problem behind Votto for the foreseeable future. He would be a monster between Votto and Bruce, hitting in GABP.

    I've discussed Profar at length in another thread on this topic -- but he's a rare commodity I think you have to jump at if you have the chance. He's a 20 year-old SS who can actually hit and play defense. Those are the kinds of players you deal 200+ IP workhorses for -- especially if they are about to hit free agency. He makes our incessant Cozart threads on RZ go away instantly.

    I think either Profar or Stanton would make up for the loss of Bailey in other ways.

  18. #14
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Canton, OH
    Posts
    2,989

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    In 2012, Giancarlo Stanton was a 5-win player. He is cost-controlled through the rest of the Reds current window. He solves the Reds lineup problem behind Votto for the foreseeable future. He would be a monster between Votto and Bruce, hitting in GABP.

    I've discussed Profar at length in another thread on this topic -- but he's a rare commodity I think you have to jump at if you have the chance. He's a 20 year-old SS who can actually hit and play defense. Those are the kinds of players you deal 200+ IP workhorses for -- especially if they are about to hit free agency.

    I think either Profar or Stanton would make up for the loss of Bailey in other ways.
    Stanton is a non-factor because there is no way the Marlins would trade him for a player close to FA. The stanton deal will be similar to the Cabrera trade. 5 top players in the other teams farm system.

    I understand how good Stanton was last season, I am just not convinced that is who he is moving forward. He is a high strikeout, no defense home runs hitter that is starting to look like injury prone.

    I would feel way better trading Homer for Profar, but I think that is a mistake as well.

    Playoff rotations:

    Cueto (maybe)
    Homer
    Latos

    Cueto (maybe)
    Latos
    Arroyo

    I like the first option a lot more.

  19. Likes:

    Joseph (06-17-2013)

  20. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    809

    Re: Would you trade Bailey?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    This is not a slight on you 40yr, but where do comments like this come from as it relates to free agency? Sure there's probably a statement where Homer has said pitching in GABP is tough, but has he or his agent come out and said they won't re-sign in Cincy because of GABP? Things like this get suggested and in time they become fact when no one really knows.

    In answer to the question, no I would not trade him. A shot at the WS is way more important than maximizing value on a guy we don't even know is going to leave or not.
    First, I am in the camp that you never trade young proven SP unless its an offer that is a landslide in your direction.

    Second, I think that Joseph is correct that Bailey has not publicly expressed a desire to leave the Reds, but I also think that his comments about GABP go way beyond "It's tough." In his interview after the no-hitter, when asked the reason for his success, his initial answer (caught live) was "Not pitching in a little-league ballpark... wait, I can't say that." Reports are that Bailey loves Baker (and Price), so I try to stay optimistic about resigning Bailey... but since Baker's current contract ends at the same time as the Reds control over Bailey... if I was in Vegas, I would put my money that Bailey is not a Red in two years.

    Third, Walt seldom seems to go after the obvious player unless its a bit part... In the poll last season/off season when we were debating over who would be the Reds CF this year, was Choo even an option? Latos was certainly not much more than a blip on the radar. How many of you saw the Marshall or Broxton trades in advance?

    Fourth, I sincerely believe that whatever team that is able to work a trade for Stanton will have to seriously overpay unless the Florida ownership changes. The current guy has so alienated the populace that there is no way he trades the favorite player unless its a landslide trade in his favor.

    Fifth and finally.... Walt made the choice of Cozart over Didi... Now he is gonna ride that horse.

  21. Likes:

    Joseph (06-17-2013), REDREAD (06-17-2013), RedTeamGo! (06-17-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (06-17-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25