Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Bailey?

Re: Would you trade Bailey?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    In 2012, Giancarlo Stanton was a 5-win player. He is cost-controlled through the rest of the Reds current window. He solves the Reds lineup problem behind Votto for the foreseeable future. He would be a monster between Votto and Bruce, hitting in GABP.

I've discussed Profar at length in another thread on this topic -- but he's a rare commodity I think you have to jump at if you have the chance. He's a 20 year-old SS who can actually hit and play defense. Those are the kinds of players you deal 200+ IP workhorses for -- especially if they are about to hit free agency.

I think either Profar or Stanton would make up for the loss of Bailey in other ways.
    Stanton is a non-factor because there is no way the Marlins would trade him for a player close to FA. The stanton deal will be similar to the Cabrera trade. 5 top players in the other teams farm system.

I understand how good Stanton was last season, I am just not convinced that is who he is moving forward. He is a high strikeout, no defense home runs hitter that is starting to look like injury prone.

I would feel way better trading Homer for Profar, but I think that is a mistake as well.

Playoff rotations:

Cueto (maybe)
    Homer
    Latos

Cueto (maybe)
    Latos
    Arroyo

I like the first option a lot more.

2. Likes:

Joseph (06-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Stanton for Bailey straight up would he high way robbery for the Reds, and I'm in the "do not trade Bailey while we are contending" camp.

That trade would never be done by the Marlins.
    I understand that is how it would be perceived but I think it would really damage the chances of the Reds winning a WS this year.

I agree, the Marlins would never do the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Stanton is a non-factor because there is no way the Marlins would trade him for a player close to FA.
    Of course they wouldn't. I was just responding to the thread title...

But I bet the M's would listen if the Reds threw in a few top prospects as well. And I'd be on board for that, too -- with Bailey as the centerpiece.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.

"A few top prospects"

Which ones?

Man, I just don't like it. It seems to me that Stanton will end up being a first basemen. The Reds have first covered for a long time so you would have to keep him in left field and he is brutal out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    But if opportunity knocks (in the form of Stanton or Profar) don't you have to consider it? The assumption in this scenario would be that Texas or Miami doesn't want to wait around until the off-season to acquire Bailey. After all, the Reds would still have 4 proven major league SP (Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Leake) as well as Cingrani to take Homer's spot. The prospect of slotting Profar in at SS or Stanton into RF is just too tempting to me. Perhaps that's why my GM applications keep getting rejected.

I say this, mind you, knowing full well that Miami and Texas would ask for a lot more than Bailey for either of those players.
    This.

As much as pitching is a priority, to be able to land a " core " player who plays every day trumps a pitcher, unless maybe that pitcher's name is Kershaw.

That being said, Stanton or Profar, if even available, are going to cost until it really hurts. In Miami's case, it would be PR suicide, and they can't afford any more hits.

In Texas' case, I'm beginning to think that they'll shop Andrus before they even consider moving Profar. Andrus is hitting .245 with 0 HRs and a .299 OBP. Throw in the fact that he has 21 BB and 45 K, and that his 8 year $118 million contract doesn't kick in until 2015, and you can see why Texas might want to rid themselves of that albatross.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    This.

As much as pitching is a priority, to be able to land a " core " player who plays every day trumps a pitcher, unless maybe that pitcher's name is Kershaw.

That being said, Stanton or Profar, if even available, are going to cost until it really hurts. In Miami's case, it would be PR suicide, and they can't afford any more hits.

In Texas' case, I'm beginning to think that they'll shop Andrus before they even consider moving Profar. Andrus is hitting .245 with 0 HRs and a .299 OBP. Throw in the fact that he has 21 BB and 45 K, and that his 8 year $118 million contract doesn't kick in until 2015, and you can see why Texas might want to rid themselves of that albatross.
    I'm thinking they might be stuck with Andrus because of his contract. The problem with an albatross, by definition, is that no one wants it.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

9. Likes:

dougdirt (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    This is not a slight on you 40yr, but where do comments like this come from as it relates to free agency? Sure there's probably a statement where Homer has said pitching in GABP is tough, but has he or his agent come out and said they won't re-sign in Cincy because of GABP? Things like this get suggested and in time they become fact when no one really knows.

In answer to the question, no I would not trade him. A shot at the WS is way more important than maximizing value on a guy we don't even know is going to leave or not.
    First, I am in the camp that you never trade young proven SP unless its an offer that is a landslide in your direction.

Second, I think that Joseph is correct that Bailey has not publicly expressed a desire to leave the Reds, but I also think that his comments about GABP go way beyond "It's tough." In his interview after the no-hitter, when asked the reason for his success, his initial answer (caught live) was "Not pitching in a little-league ballpark... wait, I can't say that." Reports are that Bailey loves Baker (and Price), so I try to stay optimistic about resigning Bailey... but since Baker's current contract ends at the same time as the Reds control over Bailey... if I was in Vegas, I would put my money that Bailey is not a Red in two years.

Third, Walt seldom seems to go after the obvious player unless its a bit part... In the poll last season/off season when we were debating over who would be the Reds CF this year, was Choo even an option? Latos was certainly not much more than a blip on the radar. How many of you saw the Marshall or Broxton trades in advance?

Fourth, I sincerely believe that whatever team that is able to work a trade for Stanton will have to seriously overpay unless the Florida ownership changes. The current guy has so alienated the populace that there is no way he trades the favorite player unless its a landslide trade in his favor.

Fifth and finally.... Walt made the choice of Cozart over Didi... Now he is gonna ride that horse.

11. Likes:

Joseph (06-17-2013),REDREAD (06-17-2013),RedTeamGo! (06-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-17-2013)

I have been watching a ton of Profar on EI lately because I see him as a tradable player for the reds.....he might be the only player in MLB that I would trade homer for that I think is available. I have been impressed with his ability to shorten his swing with 2 strikes and more so his ability to hit backside when the need is there......he is doing things as a 20 year old rookie that I have been screaming for jay Bruce to do now for the past few years....if Profar is truly available and none of us know if he is, then you trade homer for him right now and you enjoy the next 5 years of JP playing SS for the NL all star team in a reds uniform. He's that good.

Al,t his coming from a guy who has argued on twitter with Fay and Doug about how I thought Profar was not better than Hamilton....boy was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    In his interview after the no-hitter, when asked the reason for his success, his initial answer (caught live) was "Not pitching in a little-league ballpark... wait, I can't say that."
    It's hard to say from the report if Homer was just joking or not.
    I think some posters overreacted to that statement.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

A lot of people trashing Stanton's defense in here. I think there is some huge selection bias going on because he played poorly here in Cincinnati. For his career he is a well above-average defender. And he is still quite young. And he has tried to play hurt this year and it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    First, I am in the camp that you never trade young proven SP unless its an offer that is a landslide in your direction.
    A straight-up deal for either Stanton or Profar is a landslide in the Reds favor. So we are basically in agreement here.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    A lot of people trashing Stanton's defense in here. I think there is some huge selection bias going on because he played poorly here in Cincinnati. For his career he is a well above-average defender. And he is still quite young. And he has tried to play hurt this year and it didn't work out.
    I saw him on the wekend playinga against the Cards, and he was a different player than I saw when he played against the Reds.

He's an excellent defender.

He'd make the Reds instantly the best hitting team in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Didn't he have -.8 dwar in 2012?

No, especially with Cueto's shaky health. Why develop this kid for half a decade and not reap the benefits?

I'd trade my mom for the right return.

No such thing as an untouchable.

Turn Off Ads?