Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 man rotation ?

Re: 6 man rotation ?

My how times change. I was just looking at something on baseball-reference.com and came across the 2003 Reds - we had 17 pitchers start games that season. But for one more win than the Brewers, we would have been dead last to the Dusty Baker division winning Cubs. Seventeen different pitchers - and a merry-go-round of managers that season too. Again, how times have changed.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think one day a 6 man rotation will be the norm. It makes sense since in the 19th century it would be 1 or 2 guys and then 3 around the turn of the century then as the years went by it increased to 4 and by the 80s it was 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think one day a 6 man rotation will be the norm. It makes sense since in the 19th century it would be 1 or 2 guys and then 3 around the turn of the century then as the years went by it increased to 4 and by the 80s it was 5.
    But it the age of "specialization", I cannot see it happening. Unless MLB decides to add another spot to the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    But it the age of "specialization", I cannot see it happening. Unless MLB decides to add another spot to the roster.
    It's also the age of huge contracts, pitch counts and Tommy John surgeries. I believe batters are seeing more pitches these days as they are instructed to do that to build up pitch counts. We had a situation last year with Strasburg getting shut down in September because of the number of innings he pitched. If the Nats had a 6th starter, he might have been able to cut down on his innings and been available for the postseason. With pitchers, teams are erring on the side of caution. What would be more cautious than adding a 6th starter?

I'm not saying it will happen anytime soon but I wouldn't be surprised to see teams go to a 6th starter 20 years from now.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If Cueto stays healthy we have one of the best starting rotations. I believe the bullpen is not as sharp as last year because the starters are lights out most of the time.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

HECK NO!

I know at least one pitcher who would be adversly affected. Leake, like many control/sinker pitchers is TERRIBLE on too much rest. And most pitchers with decent command suffer with too much rest. NO, NO, NO, NO!

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    HECK NO!

I know at least one pitcher who would be adversly affected. Leake, like many control/sinker pitchers is TERRIBLE on too much rest. And most pitchers with decent command suffer with too much rest. NO, NO, NO, NO!
    Arroyo too. There was a time when I'm pretty sure Arroyo would have pitched every other day if they'd let him. And he probably would have been fine.

Not that this should be a consideration in big decisions, but such a change would also wreak havoc on some of their stats.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Why don't we bring Bob Boone back as well?

There is no reason to have a six man rotation.
    Where we gonna go?

It's not going to happen unless the whole league went to a 6 man rotation, and you'd need a expanded minor league system to make that work.

Turn Off Ads?