Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/17/13 Reds v. Pirates - Welcome to the bullpen, Mr. Cingrani

Re: 6/17/13 Reds v. Pirates - Welcome to the bullpen, Mr. Cingrani

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Honest question: Did Chapman look like he had a lot of control tonight?
    Clearly not.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Just another great effort by the surfer dude. But Cingrani is my star of the game. I am convinced that if They had left Sam in to finish the 8th, we would have lost.
    Huh? 2 strikeouts and 1 walk while facing 3 batters. Leake goes 7 full of 1 run, 6 hit ball? No-brainer here IMO.

7-3 now with a 2.64 era. LOL. I'm soooooo sick of the #5 label. :O)

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Weenie Post of the Year.
    Excuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Clearly not.
    Then wouldn't the reasonable assumption be that it wasn't intentional?

7. Likes:

reds1869 (06-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-17-2013)

Good game.

Key points.

1. HRs are hits with runs attached, ill take 4 please.
    2. Leake's a boss.
    3. Sammy's mustache regains Sammy's awesome
    4. Tony the saber tooth tiger has a game face like nun other.

9. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-17-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Cingrani's secondary stuff still sucks. He kept shaking those off for the fastball. Mez went out after they lost the Pirates catcher on a walk. He told Cingrani he had to throw something other than the fastball to keep them honest. He lead the next hitter with a slurve that the hitter swung at.

His true curve isn't up to snuff though. The slurve is more of a slider cause it dives.

"So Fla Red"

4-1 win at home to start a tough stretch. Just what the Doctor ordered. Nice crowd on a Monday night.

Everyone goes home happy. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Enjoy being dramatic much?

Get a grip. Chapman has always been a bit wild. It's normal for him.
    And that's the point, because sooner or later, he's going to seriously injure someone.

All I'm staying is, intentional or not, that's twice he's put a 100 mph fastball up at a guy's face, and it just so happens to be two of our top players. He did the same thing to Nick Swisher. I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or not. Frankly, I don't care. The fact is that he's doing it. And it's becoming a pattern. The ball that hit Alex Cobb the other day was traveling at 104 mph, not all that different than a Chapman fastball. At that speed, at a guy's head, you're talking career threatening, possibly worse. There's no room for that in baseball; there's no excuse for it. I don't know if Chapman is head hunting or not. If he is, that's disgraceful. If he isn't, then he needs to figure out how to control that pitch before he ends someone's career.
    He throws 100 mph 'somewhat' regularly over the plate, there's a place for that in baseball. He has days where he's wild and if people wanna take offense to it that's fine. As long as people can't hit him he'll be around though.

You guys almost broke Brandon's arm with an unintentional fastball, and he wasn't a 90 mph guy. It's baseball and it happens, if you're bothered by it there are ways to go about handling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I call him Meso

Thx
    Rocco

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Well if you wanted to go through June and July with Hoover, Para and LeCure setting up Chapman, you have more faith than I do. These guys just aren't good enough.
    And that's fair. I do have faith in Hoover and LeCure; I just think they hit a rough patch. To be clear, I'm all for Cingrani in the pen right now, but only until Marshall comes back, which hopefully is soon. The all year thing is what scares me. I want him as the sixth starter when we need him. By all means, though, put him on the playoffs roster. He's extremely useful.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Chapman didn't have his command tonight that was obvious. Was it a message to Walker? Maybe.
    Yeah a message that there's going to be a 100 mph fastball coming somewhere in your area. So swing three time at the first pitch and limit your chances of eating out of a tube the rest of your life.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

And that's the point, because sooner or later, he's going to seriously injure someone.
    And the same could be said of pretty much any pitcher. Yes, 100 mph is fast. But so is 90. Heck, if Bronson Arroyo hits a guy in the head at 75 it can cause serious damage. People make too much of a deal out of that 3rd digit.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Absolutely. But I'm talking about this season. If you leave him in the pen til August and Cueto or somebody goes down, he may not have time to stretch out for some time. You've still got to win the games to get there.
    That's a risk they will have to take.

Besides, very late and in the playoffs a team often can get by with four starters.

19. Likes:

Mutaman (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Then wouldn't the reasonable assumption be that it wasn't intentional?
    Yes. I don't think it was intentional. But, my larger point is that it doesn't matter. Look, I've got no problem with pitching inside, none whatsoever. But when you throw that hard, you've GOT to be able to control it. Accidents happen. I get that. I really do. And, Walker got out of the way, so in a sense, no harm no foul. But, sooner or later, if he keeps coming inside and not being able to control it, he's going to cause a serious injury. And that's unfortunate. Maybe he needs to take something off when going inside. Even if he did, his fastball is so good there's about three hitters in baseball that can catch up to it.

Turn Off Ads?