Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: 6/17/13 Reds v. Pirates - Welcome to the bullpen, Mr. Cingrani

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 6/17/13 Reds v. Pirates - Welcome to the bullpen, Mr. Cingrani

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    The guy missed 3 strikeout calls but no other strike 1 or 2 the entire game?...then the call on Meso in the 2nd?

We can blame Meso some if we want, but the fact of the matter is the ump blew the calls badly and at decently big moments. It was the professional umpire's fault. He is there to call balls and strikes accurately and not to measure the receiving ability of the catcher. If he noticed Meso moving around too much he should've been even more focused to get the call right, but he only missed on obvious strike 3's.
    I don't think you're following me. It's all about the way umps are trained to call balls/strikes. It's how they read the pitch. I'm sure George Anderson or Bumstead could explain it much better than I could, but the umps do indeed use the final location of the catchers mitt as a guide. Read up on how umps read pitch locations and the track of a pitch...it's pretty enlightening.

Yes, the ump had a very poor night back there. But Mesoraco also did a very poor job of receiving as well for most of the game too. And that certainly led to some calls not going our way too. He needs a LOT of work cleaning up his technique back there. Its not just pitch calling that the pitchers probably don't feel comfortable with in regards to Devin (I bet pitch-calling is VERY low on their list in fact).

2. Turn Off Ads?

If you correct me in your way again I will go out of my way to completely botch his name as often as possible as I become far more avid on here the rest of the season. I'm glad you like calling him Rocco.....I'm going to call him Meso or Mesoraco. Thanks
    Where ya been, Ironman? I always enjoyed your posts on the Sundeck board. I hope all is well with you.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    That's a risk they will have to take.

Besides, very late and in the playoffs a team often can get by with four starters.
    Maybe it is. Or maybe you don't make a judgement on LeCure and Hoover based on a few weeks of pitching and go with them since they've been incredibly effective in the past. This "they would have lost if LeCure hadn't been pulled" stuff is really short sighted, because this is a guy who we were all hailing as automatic like three weeks ago. Not to mention there is literally zero way you could make a definitive statement on that theory.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Post of the night. Hopefully the Buc fan is still reading.
    I am. I'm trying to honestly think if we've gotten into any beanball wars with other teams. I can't think if any. There was almost one with St. Louis, where they hit Marte twice and Cutch once, but I don't remember dinging any of their guys.

I live in Iowa, and I didn't purchase MLB.tv until last week, so I honestly haven't watched a lot of games until the last week or so. I can't really say how many, if any, of those 37 HBPs were intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Well, then I'd say the same about someone throwing 90. If you're going to come up and in, be able to control it. If you can't, don't go up and in.

Anyway, I got a little hot. Sorry if my emotions got the better of me. I still don't think it's right. Maybe it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. Anyway, I'm out.

Hope you all don't mind a Pirate fan joining you to discuss the game.
    Any and every pitcher tries to control all areas of the strike zone at some point. Yes, even the up/in corner. He missed his spot. Just unfortunate that it was on that particular spot is all.

And no, no problem at all with a Bucs fan.

If you correct me in your way again I will go out of my way to completely botch his name as often as possible as I become far more avid on here the rest of the season. I'm glad you like calling him Rocco.....I'm going to call him Meso or Mesoraco. Thanks
    I have won over 150 Nobel Prize awards. Eight of them are for nicknames. I'm also the most beloved poster in the history of this board.

On multiple occasions, just to see if I can, I have led the entire board to post in the third person.

I have unlimited patience and aside from my job, wife, and cat (who is more popular than you) I have no life and have made this my mission.

To wit: Rocco.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I'm amazed by how much better Leake has been this year. Guys just can't seem to square up a pitch off of him.
    Too be fair, tonight was his 35th big league win in just over 3 years. Strasburg has 24. So Mike has not been chopped liver prior to 2013.

But he has taken a gigantic leap forward though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here. Just a quick skim of last years results and there were not that many games where our middle relief blew the lead. Certainly not during the second half of the season once Marshall and Broxton were in place.
    I just went based on bullpen losses not attributed to Chapman. Relievers were 31-18 record, which means at least 18 times they lost a lead or didnt hold a tie game in games that resulted in losses.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I have won over 150 Nobel Prize awards. Eight of them are for nicknames. I'm also the most beloved poster in the history of this board.

On multiple occasions, just to see if I can, I have led the entire board to post in the third person.

I have unlimited patience and aside from my job, wife, and cat (who is more popular than you) I have no life and have made this my mission.

To wit: Rocco.
    Phil, you need to seek help. Pronto. :O) I kid, I kid.

Too be fair, tonight was his 35th big league win in just over 3 years. Strasburg has 24. So Mike has not been chopped liver prior to 2013.

But he has taken a gigantic leap forward though.
    Nah I wasn't implying that he had been bad, just that he's been so much better this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I just went based on bullpen losses not attributed to Chapman. Relievers were 31-18 record, which means at least 18 times they lost a lead or didnt hold a tie game.

Many of those losses were in extra inning games. That's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about blowing leads and losing the game like LeCure has done lately.

Maybe it is. Or maybe you don't make a judgement on LeCure and Hoover based on a few weeks of pitching and go with them since they've been incredibly effective in the past. This "they would have lost if LeCure hadn't been pulled" stuff is really short sighted, because this is a guy who we were all hailing as automatic like three weeks ago. Not to mention there is literally zero way you could make a definitive statement on that theory.
    What's this "we" Masked Man? Sam is fragil and has never shown that he can consistently handle a pressurized situation. As for Hoover ....... "incredibly effective"?

Many of those losses were in extra inning games. That's not what I'm talking about at all. I'm talking about blowing leads and losing the game like LeCure has done lately.
    Gotcha. I didn't have the drive to look up all of them. But LeCure has only given up 8 runs this season and 5 of them happened to come in the last 13 days, and only twice has he lost a lead or broken a tie. He'll be fine, don't worry. He's a really, really good pitcher. With that I'm going to bed.

Gotcha. I didn't have the drive to look up all of them. But LeCure has only given up 8 runs this season and 5 of them happened to come in the last 13 days, and only twice has he lost a lead or broken a tie. He'll be fine, don't worry. He's a really, really good pitcher. With that I'm going to bed.
    Chow. I really hope your right. I guess I am over reacting. I've just been really disappointed in Sam lately, on and off the field.

Sam is fragil and has never shown that he can consistently handle a pressurized situation. As for Hoover ....... "incredibly effective"?
    Now it's gotten out of hand. LeCure has been awesome all year except for a two-week rough stretch. Hoover is just in his second year, but last year put up an ERA+ over 200 and has a career 9.1 K/9 guy so far. Yes, they've been "incredibly effective" in the past.

Come on, man.

Turn Off Ads?