Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullpen Help--The Thread

Re: Bullpen Help--The Thread

Someone will get Marmol, who will it be?

My guess: Detroit Tigers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's hard to imagine ANYONE wanting Marmol, though Detroit is certainly desperate for late inning help. I could see the inverse potentially happening of the Cubs picking up Valverde, giving him a few save opps, and then flipping him at the deadline like they hope to do with Kevin Gregg.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

haha - how about the Cubs picking up Valverde and flipping him to the Tigers at the deadline

5. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-25-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cubs Designate Carlos Marmol; Release Ian Stewart
    By Tim Dierkes [June 25 at 11:31am CST]
    The Cubs finally pulled the plug on longtime reliever Carlos Marmol today, announcing they've designated him for assigment. The team also announced the suspension of third baseman Ian Stewart was settled and upheld, and he was granted his unconditional release. The team selected the contract of outfielder Brian Bogusevic to replace Marmol.

Marmol with Price is an interesting thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Marmol with Price is an interesting thought.
    My thought exactly. I'd have ZERO problem with the Reds signing him to a minor league deal and seeing if someone can turn him around. He's CLEARLY got the stuff...just zero control. Sometimes all it takes is a fresh perspective and a change in mechanics.

George Sherrill was just released by Kansas City. He is coming off of Tommy John surgery and had struck out 30 in 21 innings. He has a Whip over 1.7 and his ERA is north of 6, but that is in the PCL. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him at Louisville to see if he can get stuff straightened out over the next month.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

10. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-03-2013)

The White Sox are in sell mode and with Cueto out and Cingrani rotation bound, the Reds need lefty help immediately IMO. Matt Thornton will be 37 at season's end, is still an effective lefty and is owed about $2.8 Million or so for the rest of the year as well as a $1 Million option buy-out (his 2014 option is for $5.5 Million). I wonder if the White Sox may let him go for secondary minor leaguers to get out from under his money. I'm thinking something along the lines of Ryan Lamarre and Pedro Villareal in a deal like this. They'd probably want more, but they may be OK just dealing off the money and creating a spot for a younger player, Thornton might be a decent way to plug a hole and help the team hold on until Marshall, Broxton and company get back. There isn't a guarantee those guys hold-up when they get back anyway. Adding a guy is a must IMO.

The Reds are pretty thin at the upper levels, so if the Sox (or any team) want more of a prospect, the Reds don't have much to deal. A trade of secondary prospects/suspects for a journeyman hole filler with some money attached is probably the most realistic move the team could make towards the pen. Maybe a guy like Nick Travieso could be made available in a bigger deal where more than the pen is addressed. It still probably wouldn't get star caliber players back though.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

Redeyecat (07-03-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Dodgers Designate Carlos Marmol For Assignment

By Steve Adams [July 3 at 11:54am CST]

11:54am: Gammons tweets that Marmol has already been placed on outright waivers. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the outright move is procedural. Marmol has agreed to go to the minor leagues and try to work out his struggles there.

10:35am: The Dodgers have designated Carlos Marmol for assignment, according to Peter Gammons of the MLB Network (on Twitter). Gammons reports that the Dodgers were only interested in the international bonus slot they acquired in the deal, not in retaining Marmol as a member of their bullpen.

Jesse Crain has a shoulder issue, red flags springing up everywhere.

Jon Rauch was just released, by Baltimore. He may be of some use.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Jesse Crain has a shoulder issue, red flags springing up everywhere.

Jon Rauch was just released, by Baltimore. He may be of some use.
    I still think the White Sox are a good target. The Reds need a lefty and Matt Thornton would fill the bill. If Crain isn't an option, Matt Lindstrom would help and Alejandro de Aza (does well against lefty pitching) would help the OF picture even if a guy like Rios is too pricey. Those guys are all obtainable without selling the farm and won't break the bank once they are here. I'd build a package around Hoover, Partch and/or Robinson for those guys. Maybe adding a Soto and a decent minor league arm. Mix and match. I know multi-player deals going both directions rarely happen mid-season, but if the Reds could get all three, it would improve many areas. One stop shopping.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Brandon Lyon was DFA yesterday. He has been decent outside of a beating he took last week. The speculation is that the Mets are cutting ties because of looming contract incentives. Something like $100k per every 5 appearances over 37.

I don't think the Reds need to change the pen very much. A little, but not much.

The main righties are Lecure, Simon, Hoover. It's fine until Broxon returns. Hopefully Broxton is working out his injuries and will throw harder when he gets back. His velo was down.

The lefties are Chappy and Parra. If the Reds continue to use Parra properly, don't have him face too many righties, I think this is fine and Reds are unlikely to do better on the open market. Again, Marshall should return and bolster.

Having both Ondrusek and Partch filling things out is sub-optimal. But as people come back from injury, I'd expect one or both to go to AAA. Partch will likely go down first, I'd assume.

And on top of all this, Cingrani could wind up in the pen if Cueto returns healthy.

So, the situation could be a lot worse. Of course, look at the deadline, but I don't see a move as imperative.

18. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-05-2013)

Yeah the bullpen doesn't seem quite as dire right now as it did a few weeks ago.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Two decent bullpen days, two complete games, and a rainout, will make you forget how bad they are without Broxton and Marshall.

Turn Off Ads?