Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bullpen Help--The Thread

Re: Bullpen Help--The Thread

Clay Rapada is a free agent and has handcuffed lefties to the tune of .168/.257/.236 throughout his ML career.

Edit: Damnit, nevermind, the Indians picked him up just a few days ago.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    We've just seen the disaster that can happen when you overpay for a reliever (Broxton). I mind trading talent less -- as long as its not a massive overpay (The Trade). The Wood-Marshall deal, for example, I have learned to get behind with more time to see the stabilizing effect that Sean has at the end of ballgames. Marshall really is one of the better RP in baseball, and the team has really felt his absence of late.
    Calling Broxton and his deal a disaster is way premature.

Overpaying for any player is, by definition, a mistake. That's why it's called overpaying.

But good relievers cost players or cash. They don't fall from trees. Especially if every good in-house prospect of any merit has to be a starting pitcher.

The idea that Cingrani should start and cannot relieve; that meaningful prospects cannot be traded for the pen; and substantial cash cannot be traded for the pen -- it leaves the Reds with few options to solve their most glaring problem.

Not to change the topic, but yeesh, how exactly is The Trade still considered a 'massive overpay'? I could buy calling it an overpay, but massive?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Wood wasn't going to help this team go deep in the playoffs....Marshall certainly can be.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Wood wasn't going to help this team go deep in the playoffs....Marshall certainly can be.
    Would I love to have T Wood yes, I liked the kid since he almost had the No-no. However we have a solid 5 pitching and without Marshall we'd lack the shut down 7-8-9. Overpriced? I don't think so.

Broxton? What we gave up for him? I wouldn't call it over paid. This year and next? He still has time to make it right. Over paid? To early to tell. He could be the next Rhodes or the next Coco.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Tom Gorzelanny

Team: Milwaukee
    Throws: Left
    Contract: $2.8M - '13, $3M - '14, FA - '15

2013 - 1.91 e.r.a., 28 IP, 16 hits, 1.12 WHIP

Strange........lefties are hitting .231 (48 plate appearances) against him and righties are hitting .127 (64 PA).

8. Likes:

Trajinous (06-24-2013)

Papa Grande is available, in case you are longing for a reliever who pitches like Francisco Cordero.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Papa Grande is available, in case you are longing for a reliever who pitches like Francisco Cordero.
    I would prefer this Grande...

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

LexRedsFan (06-25-2013)

According to MLB.com, right now the Reds bullpen is at 3.93 ERA, eleventh in the NL, with pretty weak teams behind them. Even the Cards, which supposedly had a bad bullpen, has a better relief ERA.

It seems that almost every loss follows the same pattern. Good starting pitching, close game, bullpen failure.

Overall, I am really quite disappointed in the Reds front office this season. They suffered serious injuries in LF and in the bullpen. These have created a huge offensive hole with the cleanup hitter down; and a huge bullpen hole with the two set up men down.

Yet no player movement. Guys like Lutz and Partch, barely AAA players, in the big leagues.

I know that it's harder to trade early in the season, but the Reds are now in third place and the season is almost half over. I hope the trading deadline isn't too late. The current trend isn't good, it's the Pirates, not the Reds, who are taking advantage of the Cards return to earth.

13. Likes:

Marc D (06-23-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-23-2013),vaticanplum (06-23-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The White Sox have released lefty Daniel Moskos from Triple-A Charlotte, according to the International League's transactions page. The 27-year-old posted a 4.97 ERA with 8.7 K/9 and 4.7 BB/9 in 29 relief appearances for the Knights. Those numbers are right in line with his career marks in 122 innings at Triple-A. Moskos, who was the No. 4 overall pick by the Pirates in the 2007 draft, has just 24 1/3 Major League innings under his belt -- all with the Buccos in 2011.

What are your hopes for Zach Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Nothing at all...anything GOOD out of him will be miraculous anything else means disaster has befallen the team

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    Would I love to have T Wood yes, I liked the kid since he almost had the No-no. However we have a solid 5 pitching and without Marshall we'd lack the shut down 7-8-9. Overpriced? I don't think so.

Broxton? What we gave up for him? I wouldn't call it over paid. This year and next? He still has time to make it right. Over paid? To early to tell. He could be the next Rhodes or the next Coco.
    If Broxton is the next Cordero then he'll save around 86% of the games he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    That the Reds get somebody else and release him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    On a similar note, Carlos Marmol is now available.

21. Likes:

jhu1321 (06-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?