Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your biggest baseball moment

Re: Your biggest baseball moment

Taking my son to Riverfront for the 1st time (we live in Calif). Andy Van Slyke hit a screaming foul right into my hands, and I couldn't catch it. I got booed by the fans.

The date was August 25, 1989. The first game after Pete Rose was banned. Tommy Helms 1st game as manager.
    Last edited by 50YrRedsFan; 06-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Seeing a game with my dad and I is worth three posts
    Hang on. Are Chip and Phil related? Really? News to me...or are you guys full of it and bs'ing us, as usual? :O)

Not one big moment but several good moments.

As a player in HS I played on a team when the Indiana High School Baseball Tournament was single class. Our sectional had the #2 and #10 team in the state and also the Indianapolis City Champion. We were a small catholic school that was a little above .500 but got a lucky draw, caught fire and won our sectional.

As an umpire I have been on the field with alot of former and current MLB players. Lance Lynn, Jarrod Parker and Drew Storen are the top ones that come to mind. However probally my favorite baseball moment was the day after my son was born and it cooincides nicely with the CWS currently going on. I got a phone call from another umpire asking me to cover for him because he could not work a game the next day. He told me my partner was enroute from Omaha and had just got done doing the CWS. I called the guy and actually made arrangements to car pool with him to the game 2 hours away. To be able to talk to him about his 8 year AAA umpire career was just unforgettable. He actually umpired the longest game in baseball history back in 1982 between Rochester and Pawtucket featuring Wade Boggs and Cal Ripken. I remember walking out to the field and thinking that just 48 hours ago this guy was on national TV in front of millions doing the biggest game in the nation and now here I am umpiring a game with him on a field in Lafayette, Indiana in front of 25 people. It was just a real thrill that within 48 hours I had my first and only son born and was able to umpire on the same field with a guy whose last call before was at the CWS. Ironically a few years later we had another guy in our group work the CWS and I worked with him in his first game back like a week later.

Now being able to coach my six year old and seeing him play alot better than his dad ever did makes his every game my biggest baseball moment. I don't tell him that though to keep his ego in check.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Hang on. Are Chip and Phil related? Really? News to me...or are you guys full of it and bs'ing us, as usual? :O)
    Twin sons of different mothers

Kissing cousins.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

He wishes.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

My dad.
    Chip.
    Raisor.

Went to a game.

We had fun, except for Chip.

My dad.
    Chip.
    Raisor.

Went to a game.

I just couldn't get over the fact they wouldn't let you sing.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

As a spectator, my most memorable baseball moment was eight years ago today. I was at the game in which Derek Jeter hit his (still, to this day) only career grand slam.

Against the Cubs!!!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

My dad.
    Chip.
    Raisor.

Went to a game.

Clearer. Gotcha. The reason I did a double take was both you guys are using an R as second initial. Chip R. Phil R. I know there's several father-son combos here on RZ and they always take me by surprise. IIRC, Patrick Bateman and PuffyPig are one, Red Leader and Puffy is another, correct?

I once struck out Chris Carpenter. No, I don't know how he explained it to his son. Assuming you don't click the link, please feel free to give me accolades.

Coolest individual plays...

I started triple play...but failed to get it unassisted. Classic liner to SS on a double steal. I tagged 2nd then chased the kid back to first but couldn't get him so I had to throw to 1st.

I snuffed out a suicide squeeze as a SS (the coach and batter really gave it away). It was bad enough the other team started calling me out for "stealing signs". Really though, a coach shouldn't whistle to hitter to step out when there is only a man on 3rd and 1 out, then have the batter tip his cap back to him after the sign. Gee, I wonder what's about to happen? I started to charge the home before the runner even started to run towards the plate.

I gave up about a 425 ft grand slam in HS, that was awesome.

i 'stole first' after striking out 4 times in a 14 game season of 13 year old babe ruth. i admit it. i ran slow and couldnt hit but the opposing catchers just thought i was crazy when id i take off down the line after swinging and missing by two feet

I once got 4 hits in a wiffle ball game, I used a Fred Flintstone model bat!

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    No big moments from playing baseball. I was never any good. I played three years of Little League and as each year went by I played less, not more like most kids.

My best moments are from watching. My dad took me to Cincinnati when I was young to watch the Reds. Those are my best moments, going to games with him. I wish he were still around for me to take to a game now. I would appreciate it a lot more.
    I too never really played. I played one year of tee ball when I was about 6, then I tried again at 11 or 12, but was 3rd string right fielder, 2nd string bench warmer. The one game I was going to start in center I missed the ball during warmups and ended up with a black eye and ice pack instead of playing time.

My enjoyment comes from watching, and especially now taking my little girls to the ballpark. Sadly, they don't really know what it's like to cheer with the crowd, since my 4 year old has only been to 2 games in Cincy, and 5 or 6 out here, while my 5 month old has never been to a home game for the Reds.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Turn Off Ads?