Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your biggest baseball moment

Your biggest baseball moment

Most of us have been involved in the game in some fashion, on top of being fans.

Some have played at pretty high levels.

Some have coached.

Some have been in broadcasting.

Some have done really cool things like GAC spending the 70s and 80s portraying Morgana the Kissing Bandit.

So what cool things have you been involved with?

Here are mine:

As a 15 year old I played on a 17-18 year old team that played the Canadian National Junior team for a week in Vancouver. We won the series. We also cheated. I played one inning, striking out the side, while walking the bases loaded. We cheated. We had ineligable players and the coach was a fraud. It was awesome.

My junior year of high school I got to sing the National Antham and Take Me Out to the Ballgame at a Braves/reds game in Atlanta. For take me out to the Ballgame I wore a Reds hat. In Atlanta. It was awesome.

As a senior in college I interned at WGST Radio in Atlanta. I got to tape interviews with Tom Glavine and Mark Lemke in the clubhouse after another Reds/braves game. I wore my Reds jersey as I wasn't supposed to be there that day. Tom Glavine yelled at me. It was awesome.

I've been mentioned on WLW back when Redszone took over the after game show. It was awesome.

Time for the rest of you posers to try to beat those. (Note, most of the above situations actually happened. Some of them may have been changed slightly for entertainment purposes)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Most of us have been involved in the game in some fashion, on top of being fans.

Some have played at pretty high levels.

Some have coached.

Some have been in broadcasting.

Some have done really cool things like GAC spending the 70s and 80s portraying Morgana the Kissing Bandit.

So what cool things have you been involved with?

Here are mine:

As a 15 year old I played on a 17-18 year old team that played the Canadian National Junior team for a week in Vancouver. We won the series. We also cheated. I played one inning, striking out the side, while walking the bases loaded. We cheated. We had ineligable players and the coach was a fraud. It was awesome.

My junior year of high school I got to sing the National Antham and Take Me Out to the Ballgame at a Braves/reds game in Atlanta. For take me out to the Ballgame I wore a Reds hat. In Atlanta. It was awesome.

As a senior in college I interned at WGST Radio in Atlanta. I got to tape interviews with Tom Glavine and Mark Lemke in the clubhouse after another Reds/braves game. I wore my Reds jersey as I wasn't supposed to be there that day. Tom Glavine yelled at me. It was awesome.

I've been mentioned on WLW back when Redszone took over the after game show. It was awesome.

Time for the rest of you posers to try to beat those. (Note, most of the above situations actually happened. Some of them may have been changed slightly for entertainment purposes)
    National Anthem *

About 6 years ago on Father's Day my wife and I had front row seats in 142 or 143 (right on aisle by stairs and security guy)...it was when Griffey was in RF with around 584 HR and Sammy Sosa had 599 HR for Rangers.

From the get go some large man in an Adam Dunn jersey kept cheering for Sammy to be given an AB (hit his 599 the night before I believe)....Griffey kept turning around and making fun of the guy jokingly giving the "been drinking and crazy signs, along with the sit and shush it sign"....the guy was relentless. Also it was around 100 degrees and my wife found the misters in CF and stayed there with many others. I was dying but stuck it out in my favorite seats. In the 7th Sammy got to PH and the big guy was going nuts....Sammy got out and Jr jogged in and about 10 rows up the Dunn fan was quiet. Coming out for the top of the 8th Griffey is jogging right at me with a ball...for a moment I thought, is he giving me a ball? When he came up to the wall he asked me "Where's he at?".....as I turn around to look this guy is hauling tail down the steps and hip checks me out of the way. Griffey looks at him, tosses the ball to him. The guy is simply panicking while quickly looking at the ball. He sees something written on the ball and asks "What's it say? What's it say?" I point to the autograph and tell him that it's Sammy Sosa's autograph. I look to Griffey and he's got a huge smile and winks at us and tells the guy...."Happy Father's Day big guy".....the guy had tears going down his face.

It was so awesome and me, Griffey and that guy were the only ones there to appreciate it.
    Last edited by Ironman92; 06-17-2013 at 11:42 PM.

5. Likes:

dfs (06-18-2013),Joseph (06-19-2013),Nasty_Boy (06-18-2013),REDREAD (06-18-2013),reds1869 (06-17-2013),reds44 (06-17-2013)

Re: Your biggest baseball moment

I had plenty of special baseball moments between ages 6 and 18, but the one moment that stands out above all was watching my son's reaction to his first ever HR in little league. I don't think anything can ever top that.

7. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (06-18-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I had plenty of special baseball moments between ages 6 and 18, but the one moment that stands out above all was watching my son's reaction to his first ever HR in little league. I don't think anything can ever top that.
    Not baseball, but watching my daughter help lead her softball team to a district championship, collect her medal for doing so and then within 90 minutes (45 miles away) give her valedictorian speech....that was pretty special times for this parent.

9. Likes:

New York Red (06-18-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-18-2013),reds44 (06-18-2013)

That time I threw a baseball over a mountain.

11. Likes:

pahster (06-18-2013),reds44 (06-18-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (06-18-2013)

seeing my son at 9 years old throw a no hitter and would have had a perfect game if the SS didnt let the ball go thru his legs to start the 7th inning.. Nothing tops that
    Last edited by Redsfansince72; 06-18-2013 at 12:26 AM.

13. Likes:

RedFanAlways1966 (06-18-2013)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

I'm utterly embarassed about my playing days.

I have not yet met the woman who deserves to have my children, so I'm without kids (and therefore, without coaching experience).

But I was a damned fine umpire for a really long time. And one time, I was the plate umpire for one of Justin Masterson's games when he was in high school. At the time, I filed him along side a handful of other really, really impressive pitchers I'd seen. But retroactively, seeing as how he's the only one who ever panned out quite like this, I file that under "holy crap, I did something really cool."

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    National Anthem *
    Nope that one actually happened. It's possible I didn't include the fact that I was with a 30 person high school choir

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    That time I threw a baseball over a mountain.
    Jim Coombs? Is that you?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Biggest moment playing? The only HR I ever hit in little league. There weren't fences, and I crushed it over the CF head and just kept running. I think I had just turned 14.

A little over a year later came my biggest moment watching a game when my uncle had gotten tickets (top row of the red seats in Riverfront) to the game on Sept. 11, 1985. Almost 30 years and I still remember seeing Pete get his record-breaking hit.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Nope that one actually happened. It's possible I didn't include the fact that I was with a 30 person high school choir
    Oh....I believe you, but didn't trust your spelling.

19. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (06-18-2013)

Mine was when I got to go to a game with Raisor earlier this year.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I hit .826 one year in baseball when the coach pitched to you. Made it the World Series with the Devil Rays only to fall to the Dodgers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Although I played at a pretty high level and had lots of memorable moments, nothing beats watching my son pitch. Here's a couple of shots from this year's HS season.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/attac...1&d=1371562388

23. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (06-18-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (06-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?