Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your biggest baseball moment

Re: Your biggest baseball moment

I was scouted by the Kansas City Royals. And by me I mean my teammate. I did catch him though, so the scout watched me by default
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've raised 3 baseball fans. In this day and age, that isn't easy.
    Win the Division

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I've raised 3 baseball fans. In this day and age, that isn't easy.
    So have I, my girls all love the Reds and baseball.

Some of most favorite moments in my life include baseball, mostly with my family. I treasure the memories I have of me, my dad and my grandfather going to games together, first at Crosley Field, then later at Riverfront. I'll never forget game 7 of the 1972 Series, me, mom, dad and grandpa, way up in the nosebleed red seats. That was a very close game and could have gone either way, Rudi made an outstanding catch up against the LF wall. The place was so noisy and the stadium was literally shaking- I'll not forget that, ever. I have never felt GABP that way, though I'm sure it's a much sturdier stadium.

I have a pic that I love so much, of my grandpa holding my younger brother, who is 6 years younger than me, in about 1967, and at the edge of the pic you can see a FRAMED picture of Pete Rose on the table next to the couch. Kiana and Pete/Elvis were nowhere to be found. Mom went to West Hi with Rose, and didn't really like him all that much, but played along.

Yeah, we were flippin hard core westsiders

My high water mark as a player- I threw a 7 inning, complete game, one hit shutout in GCL play. It was all downhill after that and I found my life's work, as Marvin Lewis would say. (I like Marvin Lewis, for what it's worth)

Another great memory was the first time me and my dad took my first two daughters to a Reds game. They were very young, maybe 4 and 2, and demanded fireworks, they didn't understand we needed home runs first! They ate and ate until they felt sick (dad would only spring for one bag of peanuts when I was a kid, but for his grand daughters anything went! Thanks dad), and then we finally left in about the 5th inning when they had had enough, and everyone around us did too, though all were very nice to us.

Time marches on, and my oldest married a boy from Maine who is a huge BoSox fan, though he is now also a big Reds fan (Sowx first though!), and a great time that we had was buying cheap bleachers seats in upper LF, and then getting a table outside of the Machine Room, and eating and having drinks while watching a Reds game. We had a ball, took a ton of pics, and kept adding to the memories of my family and Reds baseball.

I met a guy while working the other day from Cleveland, though he now lives here. He's a huge Browns fan, but less so an Indians fan. We were talking sports, and he has just been blown away by the inter generational Reds fandom here, which reminds him of how Cleveland loves the Browns. I took that as high compliment. He said to me that he has friends with kids who are 3 and 4 and they are huge Reds fans. That's building for the future, my friends!
    Last edited by Always Red; 06-18-2013 at 09:45 PM.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-19-2013)

In legion ball I once had a 3 HR game... 1st to RF, 2nd to CF, 3rd to LF. One of only a small handful of HRs that I hit to RF.

In my first college game I hit a 3 run game winning homer in extra innings to beat a league rival.

Played against and had hits against a few guys that have made the show. Very cool to see them pitch knowing I dug in and hit a few hard ones off those guys.

I also caught 3 balls at a single Reds game
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

7. Likes:

reds44 (06-19-2013)

Sitting at a Reds game with RedsBaron, RFS62, and GAC and Chip said "looks like Mt Rushmore".

Pay attention to the open sky

9. Likes:

Chip R (06-19-2013), Raisor (06-19-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (06-19-2013)

My talent never equaled my love for the game, so my great moments as a player are not as many as I would prefer. My standout season at age 15 in my only year of Babe Ruth is my favorite, as I batted .565-this game is a lot more fun when you excell at it. . After that it is a series of moments, a game won, making a good catch, that kind of thing.
    As a spectator, three events stand out: (1) my first Reds game in 1965, including the train ride from Huntington to Cincinnati, (2) watching Pete Rose hit fungos before a game in 1966 and being convinced he hit one my way, but another kid beat me to the ball, and (3) watching with my dad as the Reds defeated Boston in game seven of the 1975 World Series.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

11. Likes:

WMR (06-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Sitting at a Reds game with RedsBaron, RFS62, and GAC and Chip said "looks like Mt Rushmore".

You should have nominated that moment on the Reds Mount Rushmore thread!
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post

You should have nominated that moment on the Reds Mount Rushmore thread!

That was definitely sweet. Would love to do it again this summer.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    That was definitely sweet. Would love to do it again this summer.

If you can arrange it let me know and I will try to get away
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Besides going to the game with the Raisors, I'd have to say the biggest thrill for me was the first time I got to play with my vintage team on the field at GABP. We've done it every year for about 6-7 years - and will be doing it again on July 4 before the game - but it doesn't get old.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

16. Likes:

RichRed (06-19-2013)

Had a few-nothing major, but kinda cool when I think back. I was a catcher and got the assist at first on a groundball once-the first basemen had made the play but pitcher wasn't covering. I had great speed, esp for a catcher, so ended up beating the runner and got the toss from the 1st basemen to get the out.
    Making all state team as a catcher ahead of Barry Footes son-cant recall first name- but he ended up drafted by Braves a few years later.
    Hitting a home run in high school at a tournament at UNC.
    Most of the memories though are just the fun of playing, the other guys, the competition, my dad coaching for many years, etc. I had a blast and miss those days.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

I had a unassisted triple play in little league. I was playing 2nd and caught a liner up the middle, stepped on the bag, and then chased down the runner from first. Funny part is I forgot it was a force at first and was faking throws before I tagged him.

I never could hit but I managed one homerun in high school in a tie game. Great feeling.

In the summer of 2006, I was playing in a wooden-bat adult league in Las Vegas. This was not your typical rec league - this was very competitive baseball. I didn't realize what I was getting into since I had just moved there, but I loved it.

In one of our games, I didn't know who the opposing pitcher was, but he was shutting us down in a relief appearance. Not an overpowering guy, and no taller than I am, he was a lefty with absolute precision and some giddyup when he wanted it. I'm a left handed batter, so I figured he was going to own me with his breaking stuff.

He did get me down in the count 1-2, with one fastball on the outside black and a curveball that I thought was low and outside but called a strike. On the 1-2 pitch, he threw another low and outside curve that I reached out and looped over shortstop for a single into left-center field. It was one of only three hits on the day for our entire team.

Later, in the dugout, one of my teammates told me that I had just gotten a hit off a major league pitcher, Vic Darrensbourg. I had never heard of him, but apparently he'd just come off a decent year with Detroit. I've since looked him up, and it's not like I got a hit off Randy Johnson, but it's still fun to claim I'm batting a thousand against MLB pitching. (Even though I think he retired that year.)

In my youth, I got to use Barry Larkin's glove during our high school post-season. My cousin was a ball boy with the Reds at the time (1988) and I guess Larkin went through several gloves that season and gave one to my cousin. He let me borrow it for the post-season and it was the most perfectly-broken-in glove I'd ever used, to this day.

I played baseball from age 5 to 35, and have coached youth baseball for the past 10 years so I have more moments than I can write here. I concur with others in this thread who cherish their kids' moments more than their own. Maybe it's because they happened more recently so we can actually remember them all!
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

20. Likes:

RANDY IN INDY (06-20-2013)

My biggest baseball moment was probably when I got caught off first on a hidden ball trick play and the ump blew the call and said I was safe. That should tell you everything you need to know about my baseball career.

Growing up, my grade never had enough boys to field a team. The 'select team' sponsored by LaRosa's took all the talent from my school during the season. This happened every season. So we'd hunt the sandlot and other schools to form a team of misfits (or so it seemed)

We played a game against the 'select team' one Saturday so you could say we all had a pretty big chip on our shoulder. All of the parents were very much into the game as well.

We were down 2 in the bottom of the 9th and I approached the plate. We had runners on the corners. I forget the count but I nailed the ball for a walk off opposite-field home run. It was the greatest feeling I've ever had on the field

After the game, the other team's coach approached my parents and invited me to play for them. He thought he was doing me a favor, to which my parents basically told him to shove it. "He's playing for the school" is what I specifically remember my mom & dad saying during that exchange.

All the parents of our team then took us all out for pizza....at LaRosa's!! Victory has never tasted so sweet!
    There are only two seasons - Winter and Baseball.

Turn Off Ads?