Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your biggest baseball moment

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Your biggest baseball moment

While I always thought I was a decent player -- I was the guy that got hurt -- 5 surgeries on my right arm alone attest to it. Football - baseball & wrestling all contributed to the injuries.

My biggest baseball moment I actually don't remember happening.

Babe Ruth Ball

I was in CF and a deep drive was hit directly over my head - I always prided myself on being cat like on defense just like my hero Vada Pinson - so I turned my back to the plate and took off to the chain link fence held up by 4 X 6 posts and NO WARNING TRACK.

They say the ball went off my glove as I reached over the fence that I never slowed down for.

The fence was mangled for years - you could see the mashed down top where my left arm was reaching for the ball and where my right knee straddled the other side of the post I hit dead square on.

I was knocked out cold and ripped the muscles in my back when my head snapped down on the post.

I was done for the year.

I bet it would have made a great youtube video but this was 1968.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I played ball in High School and had a scholarship to Heidelberg lined up until arm problems derailed my senior year. Most of that year, I had to play second instead of short, and I lost total control of my pitches. I certainly had no real hope to play much farther than college anyways. These days you have to be a pretty large High School kid to get much of a sniff from pro scouts. (Unless you have some sort of crazy attribute like speed or a 90+ fastball.)

Since my career was over, I did my best to stay close to the game. I threw batting practice and kept the in-game statbook for an entire season for Ashland University. There I was able to observe the great head coach John Schaly who is the son of the late and great Don Schaly who coached at Marietta and is in the Collegiate Baseball Hall of Fame. I actually had the pleasure to sit with Coach Don Schaly during fall ball that year. He was the only person I'll probably ever see smoke cigarettes in the dugout during a game. (Chain Smoke) Coach Schaly died just a few months later. However, what he taught me that day about keeping score, and the game of baseball was extremely valuable.

During my senior year of college, I student taught at Mansfield Senior High School where I coached the pitching staff for the boys baseball team. Earlier in college, I coached my alma maters summer baseball team. (ACME league)

I would probably still be coaching, if not for a career change soon after I graduated. I miss coaching a lot, but don't miss teaching.

My favorite moment playing ball was a two game stretch in Knoxville, Tennessee. My family drove me and three of my teammates down in the wee hours of the morning. Our first game was at 9 AM. In the first game, I pitched a 7 inning shutout (only play 7 innings) and I couldn't tell you how I hit. The second game was almost immediately after the first, I played SS. It was tied going into extra innings. I hit a double in the gap. I stole third on the left hander pitching without a throw. There was a lefty at the plate for us. His name was Brett. Brett was a great hitter and had a quick stroke. I got the sign from the head coach that he wanted the squeeze play. The first thing I remember about getting the sign was the overwhelming fear of never receiving the sign before. Ever..... in my whole career. My second bone chilling fear was that Brett didn't receive the sign from Coach. It was early in the count and Brett was a free swinger. Would he let it rip with me barreling in on the plate? He didn't tip his helmet confirming he had received the sign. I wasn't sure if the play was on still or not, but I made up my mind I would go anyway. I got a nice lead and as soon as the lefty got into his long windup I heard Coach yelling "Go, Go Go." I sprinted as fast as I could and time seemed to stand still. I didn't hear the crowd. I didn't hear anything, but the shuffle of my own feet. I glanced up to see if Brett was swinging, bunting or taking. It didn't matter....I was already at the plate before the ball arrived. There was a huge cloud of dust and to this day I can't tell you if the ball was a strike or a ball. Safe was the call and the crowd went crazy. My Coach was jumping higher than I've ever seen a 40 year old leap. My teammates swarmed me and I was on Cloud 9. Unfortunately, we were the visiting team. We had to close them out in the bottom inning. Surprisingly, my coach asked me to throw the last inning. (My father was not pleased about this since I had just thrown seven innings a few hours earlier; Remember I told you about the arm problems in High School?) I struck the first two hitters out, as you can imagine I had a healthy supply of off-speed pitches. The next hitter got a single back up the box. The next hitter was a large specimen from Georgia (the team was from Savannah). The rumor was he was Frank Thomas' son. I don't believe he actually was, but he was as big as Frank for a 16 year old. He had also clubbed two home-runs earlier in the game. I got him 0-2 with some roundhouse curveballs. He couldn't seem to handle them. He kept fouling them off. I bet you I threw him 4 of those and Frank just couldn't miss. Foul after Foul. I threw a couple fastballs and ran the count 3-2. I threw two more curves, again Big Frank fouled them off. Frustrated and exhausted at this point, I decided to throw over to first. Lucky for me, the runner at 1st was napping and we got him in a rundown. I tagged him out to win the game. It is one of the few games I remember vividly. One of the reasons why I do is Brett passed away last year at 28. He had an aneurysm playing in the pool with his nephew. He was a great teammate and friend.

Sorry for the long post....thanks for reading

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-20-2013), Red Raindog (06-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    That was definitely sweet. Would love to do it again this summer.

I'll buy the first round.

Pay attention to the open sky

Turn Off Ads?